Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Try to get me to stay in school.... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=321773)

burningyen 08-24-2005 12:43 PM

Re: Try to get me to stay in school....

As a SnG progresses and you have fewer and fewer chips, you have fewer and fewer possible moves until your only move is to push.

You are considering throwing away half of your chips in life.

You are on life tilt.

FatalError 08-24-2005 12:44 PM

i graduated 2 weeks ago with a 3.67 in computer science but i've still made nearly 100k this year, i could have made more but i think a degree is too important to quit once you're already partially in. don't give up now

08-24-2005 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a SnG progresses and you have fewer and fewer chips, you have fewer and fewer possible moves until your only move is to push.

You are considering throwing away half of your chips in life.

You are on life tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Game over. Well said.

Manque 08-24-2005 12:46 PM

Many people go to college not just as a way to make it through life but it is their chance at a better life. That is what provides the motivation for them to grind it out.

The other motivation to go to college is simply a love of learning which is much more of a luxury and tends not to have direct economic benefits.

Going to class with the idea of coming out and making 50k a year obviously doesn't appeal to you, so the classes you are taking probably seem much harder and more of a burden than they would otherwise.

Likewise, if you have little or no desire (or cannot afford)to learn for the sake of learning at least what is taught at college, perhaps it would be best for you to take time off from school and pursue other activities then decide again whether going back to college would be a postive force in your life.

The Yugoslavian 08-24-2005 12:48 PM

Wtf??!?!?! How the [censored] is everyone unable to find *one* academic discipline that is more intellectually stimulating than poker?

Look....there is almost no way poker should be the most interesting/important thing going in in your life. [censored], drinking Heinekens and Las Vegas artistry should be *well* ahead - both very mindless and not mentally challenging pastimes.

If you can't find something in academia that isn't intersting...then you pretty much suck at life. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure it's true. Now, you don't have to like 'school' but you sure as hell should be able to find something that is engaging and interesting to study if your recent life has been STTs morning/noon/night.

@#$%!@#$%@!#$

Suck it up and find something that excites you and pwn that [censored]. Stop being such a little batch....

STOP BEING A LITTLE BATCH!!!

Yugoslav
PS This goes *double* for Raptor...
PPS Since when was life about making 100k+/yr being a little mindless poker whore?!?!?!
PPS Baby jesus is crying all over the place, btw...

microbet 08-24-2005 12:51 PM

For a second I thought this was the old post where you quit your $10/hr job. That was you right?

This isn't advice, just a couple thoughts.

In Cali anyway $50k is pretty good starting salary for an Engineer, but especially if you are a good software engineer, it doesn't take long to double that. Of course, tripling it is very hard and quadrupling it is just about impossible without stocks or owning a company or otherwise getting lucky.

Taking time off school and going back is no big deal if the scholarship isn't an issue. I took a year and a half off and my big idea was to make guitars. I didn't become the Stradivarius of guitar makers, I went back to school, had fun, graduated, and everything was fine. I even liked school a little more when I got back.

08-24-2005 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i graduated 2 weeks ago with a 3.67 in computer science but i've still made nearly 100k this year, i could have made more but i think a degree is too important to quit once you're already partially in. don't give up now

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 35 years old and I rank the following four moments as the best in my life to date:

1. Seeing my daughter born.

2. Looking into my wife's eyes and saying, "I do" and, thankfully (crazy woman), hearing her say the same.

3. Walking down off the stage with my law diploma in hand from UCLA to the hugs from my wife, daughter, mom, and dad.

4. Sitting in the stadium at SDSU after my LONG and winding journey to my undergrad diploma and hearing my 2 year old daughter yelling "Daddy! Daddy!" for me from the stands during one of the speeches to the laughter of many of my fellow grads and those in the audience.

These are the moments that define your life, FieryJustice, not running hot for a month at online poker.

I think I have said all I can say, and I get the sense we're all talking to a 20 year old brick wall, but I had to do my best to get you to rethink your position.

The Don 08-24-2005 12:55 PM

Agreed... economics is defintely the major which is most highly correlated with poker. Basic math and a lot of logic and inductive/deductive reasoning. Also, you are trying to find value in everything, much like in poker. I an econ major and personally find my classes to be enjoyable and challenging... I think a switch to this may change your tune a little.

Anyway, I played 'professionally' this summer and it was great. I had a goal of making $10k this summer (probably small potatoes for you) and I achieved it last week... I am very proud of myself for doing so. Now I am barely playing and just hitting up the bars every night. I don't care what anyone says... poker provides freedom. I don't listen to anyone and I do whatever I want. I am only a slave to variance [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That being said... I am still going to finish up my economics degree this fall (graduating in 7 semesters) for the following reasons:

1) I got this far might as well go all the way
2) College is fun
3) Future goals

When I graduate, I will do a lot of traveling and live the way I want to live for a half year or so. Then I will probably go to grad school with the hope of getting my doctorate in econ and hopefully land a professor job somewhere. This will leave me a lot of time for personal endeavors and such.

Manque 08-24-2005 12:58 PM

because he didn't go to college or because he has the "grass is greener" syndrome?

proell 08-24-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing a degree would do for me is get me a 50k/year job one day if internet poker falls through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take off the tinted glasses.
Finishing school has nothing to do with a 50k/year job working for the man. It has to do with getting a free ride to explore the world and feed your curiosity. I'm right there with you when it comes to "sticking it to the man" and staying outside the bourgeoisie. But don't let them turn college into something that it doesn't have to be. Screw the grades, screw the expectations, and just get out there and take the opportunity to learn some things and do some things that you won't get a chance to do later. Life is too long (and too short) to cut off your future opportunities at the knees.

If you know who you are and what you want, then college can only help to amplify it.