Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Good Books, Bad Books (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=286948)

King Yao 07-07-2005 01:16 PM

Re: Ciaffone books

[ QUOTE ]
The other two books are very good but while on poker, they are not on subjects that are quite as popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm missing something. No Limit Poker is more popular than limit poker right now. Yet his NL/PL book only ranks 5000 or so on Amazon. I think this is due to his lack of visibility.

Voltron87 07-07-2005 02:58 PM

Re: Good Books, Bad Books

after seeing poker on tv i went and bought his book, back then i had no idea about 2p2 or super system, anything. this was when i utterly knew nothing about poker.

ptmusic 07-07-2005 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is it flawed besides being too weak?
I like the way he walks through the hands.

I must say it's one of the books I like alot.
I like Ciaffone books as much as the 2+2 books.

But of course does he fold too much in MLH.

I think the main reason for the low sales is that it doesn't have a cool cover and not enough advertisment.
NL & PL are considered very good and that one isn't a blockbuster either.
If you say NL & PL is poor as well you are making me confused here Mason. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur about your thoughts on Middle Limit Hold 'Em. A very good book with some flaws, but what book doesn't have a few mistakes? (ok, SSH comes damn close). I loved the section on bluffing. It is my favorite non 2+2 book in my library (with an honorable mention to Caro's Book of Tells).

-ptmusic

Rudbaeck 07-07-2005 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is it flawed besides being too weak?
If you say NL & PL is poor as well you are making me confused here Mason. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't need to be flawed in any other ways, and it isn't. The book is very pedagogic, nicely laid out for the newcomer and the walkthroughs pretty thorough. Unoftunately he overrates the abilities of average opponents severely.

And Mason, like almost everyone else, loves Bobs NL&PL book. (Atleast he gave it a 10 in his reviews.)

Kama45 07-07-2005 07:13 PM

Also, there is very little competition from other NL books.

Mason Malmuth 07-07-2005 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the main reason for the low sales is that it doesn't have a cool cover and not enough advertisment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on some of the threads I've read recently we fail in the cover department as well.

I think the NL & PL book is very good. But you can't fold as much as Ciaffone and Brier recommend in their limit book and expect to do well in the long run. See my review.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth 07-07-2005 07:44 PM

Hi Rudbaeck:

You have this exactly right. But there is another flaw in MLH. It recommends in some spots to play too many hands, and then they try to figure out how to fold most of them. To me it looks like a pot limit strategy applied to limit.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth 07-07-2005 07:53 PM

Hi King:

No.

No limit tournament poker is what has become highly popular. Standard no limit cash games, especially without a buy-in cap, doesn't compare with limit hold 'em. Also, you have games like pot limit seven-card stud in this book, and that's not popular at all.

Best wishes,
Mason

King Yao 07-07-2005 08:01 PM

After looking at the sales numbers of other No-Limit books (such as the McEvoy/Daugherty and Mastering No-Limit), which have a presence in stores...and forgetting half the book is on Pot-Limit, as well as some odd games (you can see I haven't read the book in a while), I am forced to see your point and agree with you.

Mason Malmuth 07-07-2005 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am forced to see your point and agree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

O-kay. Alls forgiven.

Best wishes,
Mason