Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   F for First Amendment (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=261647)

kurto 06-02-2005 02:09 AM

Re: F for First Amendment

I think people need to grow up and take responsibility for what they and their children watch. In this day and age, there is no reason for regulation.

Every new TV produced now is required to have a V chip.

Furthermore, anyone who has cable can lock out stations they don't like.

If you want wholesome family entertainment, then watch PAX, the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite, TV Land, ABC Family, the Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, PBS, WE, etc.

The idea that every channel needs to appeal to the youngest and purest out there is ridiculous.

Parents need to take responsibility. When I was young, we had a VCR. Our parents monitored what movies we rented. We couldn't rent R rated movies until they thought we were old enough. My parents watched television with us. They were actively monitoring what we saw.

I had a friend (who happened to be a gorgous, smart and incredibly rich) whose family impressed me.... though they were by far the richest family I ever knew, they had 1 television. No cable. The television was color but it was so old, the tube so burnt out, it was monochrome. They ONLY watched news and occasionally rented a movie. When their kids were bored, they had a study with wall to wall, 10 foot bookcases. They did a revolutionary thing and had their kids read for entertainment. Surprisingly, the kids were well adjusted, articulate, well rounded...

To the people who don't like what a particular channel chooses to air, they have 300 other channels they can choose from. Can't afford cable, then they can goto a library and check out a book for free. Or do another thing we used to do; on Friday night, it was game night. Turn off the boob tube and play Clue or Monopoly with your kids.

There's no reason that a mature individual shouldn't be able to see mature entertainment at 10pm on HBO or 8 PM on ABC.

Last thought on the Janet Jackson incident; I agree that a show marketed at everyone shouldn't have adult fare. Though again, this wasn't intended. At the end though, what happened really wasn't that outrageous. The idea that a hastily bared nipple is 'bad' for anyone is ridiculous. There's something wrong with a society that thinks a nipple is a catastrophe.

kurto 06-02-2005 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that. I agree that its a problem. Don't get me wrong, despite what you might believe, i am not evil.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL It has never crossed my mind that you are evil. I've only met one person in my life who I would call 'evil.'

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like censorship, I love free speech, but I also love responsibility. I think there should be clear rules, and those rules should be as un-restrictive as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone in the industry wants clear rules. The good thing is that the rules are vague which allows the standards to change over time (community standards). The problem is you'll never know for certain if you're breaking them.

Imagine if they said there were national speedlimits... but they refused to tell you what they were. In one 'community' the speedlimit on a particular road is 40mph, and in the next 'community' it was 60mph. Yet nothing told you when it changed. You could drive what you thought was a reasonable speed for the type of road you're on, but if you guess wrong, you get a $500 speeding ticket. And there was little recourse if you were caught speeding.

That is essentially how the FCC regulates broadcasting.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that. But I am not convinced that MTV/CBS had nothing to do with it, sorry, but I don't trust Janet's word.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, my best friend worked on the production. His job required him to review all MTV related material prior to the show. Any planned events would have gone through him and his department. He's been aware of any stunts the networks decide to do. It was not planned.

Certainly you can choose to believe what you want,... but you're assumption of their guilt is based on nothing. I have worked with the people involved repeatedly for over a decade. There's no reason to assume they had any hand in it.

Cyrus 06-02-2005 02:26 AM

Is Jaxmike a Marxist-Leninist ?

[ QUOTE ]
Under some definitions of Democracy, Republic is an appropriate synonym. However, under other definitions of these words they are DISTINCTLY different forms of government

[/ QUOTE ]

Their usage has created artificial differences between the two synonyms, differences used by "political pundits" and generally clueless persons.

Incidenttaly, I noticed you use the Lexicon when learning about the political meaning of a word. Allegorically an urszene of your mind's parochial inner workings.

bernie 06-02-2005 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want wholesome family entertainment, then watch PAX, the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite, TV Land, ABC Family, the Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, PBS, WE, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny. People say the population wants wholesome entertainment. Most of the stations listed above are extremely low in the ratings. Especially PAX.

[ QUOTE ]
Or do another thing we used to do; on Friday night, it was game night. Turn off the boob tube and play Clue or Monopoly with your kids

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes me curious as to the sales of games like this compared to back then. I used to like 'game night'. Someone was always playing someone in something like this. Whether board game, cribbage, gin, whatever...

As for the 'incident', I think Justing Timberlake knew about it also. But hey, at least JJ got to spoof it on SNL.

[ QUOTE ]
There's something wrong with a society that thinks a nipple is a catastrophe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember they also weren't allowed to show the nipple on a cadaver on CSI. The necrophiliacs really sobbed on that one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

b

jaxmike 06-02-2005 12:18 PM

Re: Is Jaxmike a Marxist-Leninist ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Under some definitions of Democracy, Republic is an appropriate synonym. However, under other definitions of these words they are DISTINCTLY different forms of government

[/ QUOTE ]

Their usage has created artificial differences between the two synonyms, differences used by "political pundits" and generally clueless persons.

Incidenttaly, I noticed you use the Lexicon when learning about the political meaning of a word. Allegorically an urszene of your mind's parochial inner workings.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO.

I find it really funny that you still insist that a Republic and a Democracy are always the same thing despite all the facts being contrary.

Cyrus 06-02-2005 01:05 PM

Jaxmike is a Marxist-Leninist

[ QUOTE ]
I find it really funny that you still insist that a Republic and a Democracy are always the same thing despite all the facts being contrary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you read yet ? I thought you had that ability by now. Here's the relevant part, again. Try to stay still when reading text :

"Their usage has created artificial differences between the two synonyms, differences used by "political pundits" and generally clueless persons."

The latter means your kind.

Hope it's clearer now.

[ QUOTE ]
...factual errors...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have committed many errors in my life. But you, O Grand Imbecile Of Our Board, have not been privy to a single one of them.

I challenge you to show us what you have. Come on. Let's have one more chuckle for the evening.

And by the way, OGIOOB: Did you get it yet ? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

jaxmike 06-02-2005 01:20 PM

Re: Jaxmike is a Marxist-Leninist

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you read yet ? I thought you had that ability by now. Here's the relevant part, again. Try to stay still when reading text :

"Their usage has created artificial differences between the two synonyms, differences used by "political pundits" and generally clueless persons."

The latter means your kind.

Hope it's clearer now.

[ QUOTE ]
...factual errors...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have committed many errors in my life. But you, O Grand Imbecile Of Our Board, have not been privy to a single one of them.

I challenge you to show us what you have. Come on. Let's have one more chuckle for the evening.

And by the way, OGIOOB: Did you get it yet ? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cyrus

Reality.