Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Why don't you play No Limit? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=294339)

Malachii 07-17-2005 04:22 PM

Re: Why don\'t you play No Limit?

[ QUOTE ]
Hows that going? Is it hard to adapt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play limit and made the switch a couple monthes ago. I think you could adjust very quickly. The main differences are that offsuit high cards don't play as well (especially out of position), hands like tp/tk aren't especially valuable and not hands you want to play big pots with, and playing well postflop is especially important. What's cool about NL is that it can accomodate many different preflop styles, and it's a lot more interesting than limit IMO because there are so many different ways to play a hand. Also, it teaches you to read hands better, since an error will cost you a significant amount of money instead of a few extra bets.

Also, the games on Party are very soft. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

dawade 07-17-2005 05:12 PM

The reason I play limit is because my reads are not that great (yet!) and a bad push in a NL game could send me reaching for my wallet.

benneh 07-17-2005 05:29 PM

"and a bad push in a NL game could send me reaching for my wallet. "

don't play above your bankroll.

TomBrooks 07-17-2005 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The variance at NL is much smaller than at limit (and much much smaller than 6 max limit).

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how this is possible when the bets are often huge. Of course, I know almost nothing about good NL play so this may be why I don't understand.

I lost 300BB in three hours in my first NL try the other day. Luckily it was .01/.02 so I only lost $5. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What are some of the primary strategies that prevent one from losing tons of money fast?

dawade 07-17-2005 05:50 PM

When I say reaching for my wallet I mean reaching to buy more chips. I could lose 30 BB in 2 hours playing limit, or lose it all in one hand playing NL.

Malachii 07-17-2005 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's more boring.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

sirana 07-19-2005 04:25 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
Most of the people that play even small stakes No Limit make much more than limit players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to back this statement up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that 8PTBB/100 at 25NL = 4BB/100 at .5/1, I would have thought the win rates were comparable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play that much No-Limit, but I don't think you can compare the 25NL-tables to 0.5/1-Limit tables. Given the pot sizes, I think it's better to compare it with 1/2 -Limit(So NL10 would be roughly equivalent to 0.5/1) in regard of swings and bankroll requirement.
Thus the stated 20PTBB/100 would equal a win-rate of 5BB/100 at 1/2, which is still damn lot, but not impossible in limit (considering the sample size is only 5k)

My personal reasons for prefering Limit:

1. Much less stress (ever lost 40BB against a runner runner flush in a single hand?)
2. I'm better at math than at psychology ;-)

davelin 07-19-2005 04:40 PM

Started playing NL and had a decent winrate at the old Party NL50 levels after about 30K hands. Took little bit of a hit and moved over to limit in order to (what I thought) mitigate my swings. Now my NL exposure is pretty much limited to just tournaments and SnG's.

@bsolute_luck 07-19-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now my NL exposure is pretty much limited to just tournaments and SnG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and there are so many i can't wait to learn [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]