Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Tom Cruise on Today Show (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=279805)

Skipbidder 06-26-2005 03:30 AM

Re: Tom Cruise on Today Show

continued:

[ QUOTE ]
There's probably other reasons why this was a small study like no one stands to gain profit from this research.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an extremely common and weak argument. I read well-designed studies all the time for extremely cheap generic medications. I've probably read more well-designed studies about aspirin than any other drug. Nobody is getting rich because of aspirin research. I just read a study about the proper way to conduct an examination for an enlarged spleen. It was well-designed and conducted, and shows that techniques that have been in use (and taught) for years are not really very good for this purpose. Nobody at all stands to profit from this study. The study you gave me COULD have been turned into a well-designed study without costing much (if any) more money. It should have been conducted as an efficacy study for the supplement regimen compared to placebo. (A comparison between the supplement regimen and Ritalin is not appropriate until the regimen itself has been shown to be effective.) An ethically designed study coud have been conducted with the inclusion criterion of parents who have already decided that they do not wish

Skipbidder 06-26-2005 03:40 AM

The Scientologists appear to be sabotaging my internet access.

continued:

...An ethically designed study coud have been conducted with the inclusion criterion of parents who have already decided that they do not wish to use Ritalin. The patients would have been randomly placed into groups of either the supplement regimen or a placebo regimen. The patients and the investigators need to be blinded as to which group they are in.

[ QUOTE ]
You're welcome to do your own homework and draw your own conclusions

[/ QUOTE ]
I've already done a great deal of reading on the subject. It is part of my job.
[ QUOTE ]
beyond that I don't see what your goal is here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Part of my goal is purely selfish. I routinely need to deal with patients who bring in their own research (which is usually crap). This gives me a heads-up on some of the things they are likely to bring in. It also gives me practice in dealing with it (without the strain of a doctor-patient relationship). This is also entertainment for me. I play poker for fun and surf 2+2 while I play. Despite being a comfortably winning player, I don't feel that I have the expertise to contribute to the poker forums, so I post in OOT instead. Also, every once in a while, I learn something useful from these sorts of exchanges. If I can get information that is helpful for my patients while I'm screwing off, all the better. Finally, sometimes somebody else learns something too. I don't expect this to happen, but maybe you will realize that you don't currently have the expertise required to critically evaluate health information. Perhaps you will stop encouraging others to do so. If you have an interest in the subject, you might choose to obtain the expertise. Perhaps you might redirect your efforts to more effective ways in which to participate in your own health care. They certainly exist.

[ QUOTE ]
My goal was simply to say there's often more then it seems and these drugs aren't that great for you even if they seem like a magical solution.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is not what you said, however. You were defending a cultist who is trying to hurt people. (Well, you were only defending him a little bit.) Encouraging people to quit their psych meds contributes to sickness and death. The Scientologists are responsible for a great deal of both, largely because Hubbard realized the power of celebrity, and the cult actively recruits celebrity members.

There are drugs that are very helpful. There are drugs that are marginally helpful. There are drugs that are not helpfu

Skipbidder 06-26-2005 03:43 AM

...They carry different degrees of risks. Non-medical information sources (and irresponsible medical sources) frequently overstate the helpfulness of drugs. They also frequently overstate the frequency or degree of side effects as well. Responsible reporting is less exciting than sensationalistic reporting.

You made a claim. I asked you to defend it. You were unable to do so. It now appears that you are changing the subject.

[ QUOTE ]
That much you can find legitmate studies on. The rest you have to pick together and piece for various reasons including the ones you stated as to why this was "garbage".

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I to take this as agreement that the study you provided was garbage? Will you stop making recommendations to others based on it in the future?

[ QUOTE ]
But to throw away the whole concept for that reason is just as silly.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it isn't. Well-designed studies exist to characterize the effectiveness and side effect profile of Ritalin. It would be foolish to disregard them because of poorly designed studies or opinion pieces. No well-designed studies exist to justify use of a regimen like the one in the study you recommended. It would be bad medicine to counsel someone to use that regimen instead of Ritalin. (I would consider it to be malpractice, but I'm have a very low threshold for such things...and I don't make those decisions anyway.) If a concept lacks both a physiologic basis and good evidence, then "throwing away the concept" is the only prudent course for a practioner to take.

Blarg 06-26-2005 04:12 AM

Dude, either I am seriously stoned, or you're on Netzero or something. Shouldn't a doctor be able to afford a better ISP?

PassiveCaller 06-26-2005 04:43 AM

See, my lack of interest here is because of how off topic it has veered. I made a point that what Tom said had more merit then people were giving credit and encouraged people to do their own research and look at how they can handle their own bodies. You as a medical doctor have taken offense because it relates directly to your work and let's not forget the million years of medical school. Not to mention the very thought of what Cruise says seems to give you utter disgust. Vitamins, exercise? "Ha ha ha ha" which shows a predisposition against the sort of methods and thinking that this whole "alternative medicine" concept is based upon so it isn't surprising. For this reason it is futile to even bother to continue this. If you want to know more, it's within your grasp to research it and while one should be discerning he should have also have an open mind.

This is why I've attempted to give up and not partake in arguments with you the Big Shot Doctor.

I've never made reccommendations to anyone based upon any of this research (nor do I ever intend to since I am not a medical professional) but I do implore people to read and do their own research regardless. Take interest in your body, and keep it in better shape so you don't have to go see the Big Shot Doctor often to begin with. Your body can do amazing things to take care of itself and its problems if it has the right resources..

Skipbidder 06-26-2005 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, either I am seriously stoned, or you're on Netzero or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could easily be both, no? I think that it is more likely to be due to my near-complete computer illiteracy.
I use Comcast cable modem at home. It isn't cheap.
My poker games are unaffected. Viewing things on the internet is unaffected. Outgoing email or posts to message boards are hosed. Maybe I'll ask for help in the Computer forum.

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't a doctor be able to afford a better ISP?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but many doctors are nits. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I certainly didn't cheap out on my ISP. I just have very little computer knowledge and hate talking on the phone to service people (or anyone else for that matter).