Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   *TT* rates OOT's fashion sense (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402331)

chisness 12-21-2005 12:28 PM

Re: *TT* rates OOT\'s fashion sense

FYI for those viewing this, saks.com is having an absolutely massive sale until the 24th. Lots of stuff is more than half off.

Luv2DriveTT 12-21-2005 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT I have a lot of Ben Sherman short sleeve shirts. Opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been wearing Ben Sherman since 1984, when they were first imported into the USA by 99x (now on 9th street in the East Village - NYC). The brand is not the same anymore, its gone from working class button downs made polular by British Skinheads in the 50's (yes, Skinheads have been around that long, and no they were not racist back then) to retro-hipster, but I still like it. With that said it can come off not so cool if you don't rock it the right way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

obsidian 12-21-2005 12:34 PM

This thread is great. I seriously need help with my clothes as well. I plan on making a trip to Nordstrom/Neiman Marcus so any advice with outfits would be great. I am more of a jeans/tshirt type of person but it may be time to expand that. I'm 6'2" and 155 lb w/ 32" waist.

Luv2DriveTT 12-21-2005 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is great. I seriously need help with my clothes as well. I plan on making a trip to Nordstrom/Neiman Marcus so any advice with outfits would be great. I am more of a jeans/tshirt type of person but it may be time to expand that. I'm 6'2" and 155 lb w/ 32" waist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Photos Photos Photos...

obsidian 12-21-2005 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Photos Photos Photos...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, will do when I get home.

BottlesOf 12-21-2005 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Went with this sweater http://www.bananarepublic.com/Asset_...1-04p01v01.jpg

These pants
http://www.baggamenswear.co.uk/acata...l_jean6pop.jpg

These shoes
http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/ba/1b/d4_1.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, Great, and Good. Problem with Puma is that its too common, you need to mix it up a bit... but at the same time its a great look.

[/ QUOTE ]

V-neck sweater & undershirt showing, that's not so hot. What are we supposed to do about? v-neck undershirt?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite wrong. You may be confusing the faux pas of haviung the undershirt show underneath a button down shirt, in which case a v-neck t shirt, NOT A WIFE BEATER, is the solution. With a v-neck sweater, undershirt underneath is fine, IMO.

Paluka 12-21-2005 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TT I have a lot of Ben Sherman short sleeve shirts. Opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been wearing Ben Sherman since 1984, when they were first imported into the USA by 99x (now on 9th street in the East Village - NYC). The brand is not the same anymore, its gone from working class button downs made polular by British Skinheads in the 50's (yes, Skinheads have been around that long, and no they were not racist back then) to retro-hipster, but I still like it. With that said it can come off not so cool if you don't rock it the right way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, take a typical Ben Sherman carnaby style short sleeve shirt. Then take old school black and white vans, or some campers. Now give me a) t-shirt guidelines (i hate wearing shirts with no t-shirt underneath) and b) jeans.

BottlesOf 12-21-2005 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*TT*

i usually just buy my jeans from old navy or the gap. apparently the fabric sucks etc. however, i never knew what i was missing buy wearing nicer jeans. can you tell me what brands i should look into buying?

i need them to be baggy and have a huge cockpit area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are just starting out, you can't go wrong with Diesel. Amazing denim, it will last for ages. They really are the reason why Levis is in the shitter now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You certainly can go wrong with Diesel. It's Euro-trash. For an authentic better than A&F look go to Lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both Lucky and Diesel are clients of mine. Diesel makes much better denim for men both in fit and fabric quality, and has a better brand image. Lucky's womans line has a much better cut, so its closer. Either way, you usually can't go wrong. Alternatively you can also give Mavi a shot... I'm not a fan of their brand image, but their new Nomad Tribe denim line kicks ass. As mentioned before Energie & Sixty (same company, you might know of them as Miss Sixty, which is larger in the USA. Energie is the parent company and the bigger brand world wide) are also great options.

At the same time I'd never recommend brands such as A&F or American Eagle. Its just a step above the Gap from what I have seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, nothing says strong island like a pair of mavis on a guy.

The rest makes perfect sense to me.

Luv2DriveTT 12-21-2005 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*TT*

i usually just buy my jeans from old navy or the gap. apparently the fabric sucks etc. however, i never knew what i was missing buy wearing nicer jeans. can you tell me what brands i should look into buying?

i need them to be baggy and have a huge cockpit area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are just starting out, you can't go wrong with Diesel. Amazing denim, it will last for ages. They really are the reason why Levis is in the shitter now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You certainly can go wrong with Diesel. It's Euro-trash. For an authentic better than A&F look go to Lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both Lucky and Diesel are clients of mine. Diesel makes much better denim for men both in fit and fabric quality, and has a better brand image. Lucky's womans line has a much better cut, so its closer. Either way, you usually can't go wrong. Alternatively you can also give Mavi a shot... I'm not a fan of their brand image, but their new Nomad Tribe denim line kicks ass. As mentioned before Energie & Sixty (same company, you might know of them as Miss Sixty, which is larger in the USA. Energie is the parent company and the bigger brand world wide) are also great options.

At the same time I'd never recommend brands such as A&F or American Eagle. Its just a step above the Gap from what I have seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, nothing says strong island like a pair of mavis on a guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have agreed with you last year, the brand is killing their old image and reinventing a new line to combat this problem.

BottlesOf 12-21-2005 12:44 PM

Then they have a VERY uphill battle that I don't think can be accomplished soon, if at all.

Paluka 12-21-2005 12:59 PM

What I need the most from TT is a suggestion on a good casual hipsterish blazer. Something which suits my vegetarian, Park Slope living, hanging out in the East Village, magic playing, poker playing, Dillinger Escape Plan listening to lifestyle.

chisness 12-21-2005 01:16 PM

what do you think of this (Loro P. shirt/vest) and what pants go well with it?

http://www.chisness.com/ebc/sv.gif

also, i had a few questions on page 14.

cjmewett 12-21-2005 01:55 PM

Suit: [image]http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/ProImages/XTJCHR_5.jpg[/image]
Shirt: [image]http://www.thomaspink.co.uk/images/large/00200432W1P.jpg[/image]
Tie: [image]http://a1216.g.akamai.net/f/1216/955/6h/images2.nordstrom.com/images/store/product/medium/162818.jpg[/image](Plum, the bottom one)
Links: [image]http://zoom.nordstrom.com/store/product/medium/138012.fpx?wid=165&qlt=70&rgn=0.2677865612 6482214,0.18478260869565216,0.32608695652173913,0. 5&cvt=jpeg[/image]
Shoes: [image]http://www.bachrach.com/Images/BACHRAC/Products/en-us/27487%20%20%20%20%20%20%20_REG_610255B5.jpg[/image](in black)
Watch: [image]http://www.orolus.com/images/emporio-armani/AR0223.jpg[/image]

I'm a man of rather limited means and not nearly so concerned as others with being "trendy," FWIW.

EDIT: I'm also dumb and can't seem to get my images to work.

ChipWrecked 12-21-2005 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It matches my mid-century modern sensibilities,

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the same thing as 'early Playboy Magazine'?

[/ QUOTE ]

link to Wikipedia's page on Mid-Century Modernisim. Trust me, its cool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Check out the Case Study houses, its been my asthetic inspiration, I collect furnature from this period. For further research explore Charles & Ray Eames, Ero Seranin (spelling?), Florence Knoll, Herman Miller (same company who makes the great chairs), Naguchi, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, cool. I love Neutra houses. There is one in my wife's sister's neighborhood in Brentwood, I got to walk through while it was for sale. Awesome.

Being married and middle aged, I could give a damn about any fashion except that which She Who Must Be Obeyed decrees.... she's into Reagan era prep though, I can't stomach that. I do my best for her.

But these metro models bring home the fact that I could be in better shape. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

lapoker17 12-21-2005 02:49 PM

I'm very surprised that Diesel is getting high marks from our resident guru. perhaps it's an east coast thing, but i doubt it. dielsel is the #1 offender in the trying too hard department. 5 years ago, cool. today, not so much.

shant 12-21-2005 02:54 PM

I think he was talking about their denim, which is still quality and it's hard to "try too hard" in jeans. I agree with you that a lot of their shirt and sweaters can fall into the "tyring too hard" category.

OtisTheMarsupial 12-21-2005 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If you are gonna rock Chuck Tailors, I recommend taking it up a notch... Converse by John Varvatos

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I've always had a thing for laces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its what all the rock stars are wearing now, you should explore it. Expand your horizons!

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this rather funny since crafty punks have been taking out the laces and gluing the shoes shut for years.
If you're going to go this route, do it yourself, don't buy them premade. Use fabric glue from Joann's or Micheal's.

OtisTheMarsupial 12-21-2005 04:15 PM

Hi TT,
I don't have an outfit or a picture for you to rate, but I'd like your general opinions on some things. If you'll oblige, here they are:
-wrist cuffs
-hats
-scarves
-jeans that aren't blue or black (say, green or multicolored)
-are there occasions to wear shorts?
-jewelry (rings, for example)
-murses/ small messenger bags

Thanks!

Luv2DriveTT 12-21-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I need the most from TT is a suggestion on a good casual hipsterish blazer. Something which suits my vegetarian, Park Slope living, hanging out in the East Village, magic playing, poker playing, Dillinger Escape Plan listening to lifestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pricepoint? I think you should be paying some $$$ my friend, its not cheep to live like an boho hipster.

brettbrettr 12-21-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its amazing that a guy in pants like those can get a girl like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above statement was recently uttered in a poker room about the OP. Know your source, people.

Luv2DriveTT 12-21-2005 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its amazing that a guy in pants like those can get a girl like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above statement was recently uttered in a poker room about the OP. Know your source, people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pimp baby... pimp.

cjmewett 12-21-2005 05:15 PM

Suit
Shirt
Tie (Plum, the bottom one)
Links
Shoes (in black)
Watch

Working this time maybe?

Jonny 12-21-2005 05:26 PM

Shirt and jeans: Banana Republic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...7/_MG_1789.jpg

Shoes: Dr. Martens
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../14616vd52.jpg

Watch: Movado Sports Edition Automatic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...87/0605322.jpg

Belt is just a simple black one with a silver buckle. Sorry I don't have a pic of it.

Luv2DriveTT 12-21-2005 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suit
Shirt
Links
Shoes (in black)
Watch

Working this time maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suit: Nice choice. If you were to aim higher, where would you go? I recommend Oswald Botang, you can find him on Saville Row.

Shirt: I'm a fan of Thomas Pink for the prince point, but this specific shirt is not one of their best. Make sure you take it to a tailor, tuck in the upper sleeves and nip the back so it form fits your body nicely (and yes you can do it even if you are over weight, it actually looks better guys!)

Links: Excellent. I prefer a small dab of color personally, but grade A choice

Tie: Don't let me down now. Perhaps you should go back to Thomas Pink? Its a nice tie, but considering the outfit you need to take it up a notch

Shoes: Standard. Well done. Personally I'd prefer Costume National boots with your suit, but thats just me. You hit it on the hear here. A++

Watch: Ewwww!!!! WTF? You really let me down with that one. I won't begin to discuss why, but its the low point of your selection. You lose 1.5 points for even considering it! Too bad, you would have been the first 10.

On the *TT* sliding scale I deem your outfit an 8.5. Dump the watch and you will go right to the top of the class.

RunDownHouse 12-21-2005 07:26 PM

First, thanks for the thread, its somewhat interesting. That being said,

[ QUOTE ]
Watch: Ewwww!!!! WTF? You really let me down with that one. I won't begin to discuss why

[/ QUOTE ]
isn't discussing why kind of the point? I thought the maple-wall-unit watch was hideous, but could understand why you liked it once you explained.

Luv2DriveTT 12-21-2005 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shirt and jeans: Banana Republic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...7/_MG_1789.jpg

Shoes: Dr. Martens
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../14616vd52.jpg

Watch: Movado Sports Edition Automatic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...87/0605322.jpg

Belt is just a simple black one with a silver buckle. Sorry I don't have a pic of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This outfit screams look at me, I'm an individual. But we all know better, you are a walking drone for the fashion insecure. I first wore Doc Martins in 1984 (Docs, Fred Perry, and Ben Sherman - once again at 99x) and they weren't cool then, and they are not cool now. OK... I lie. They are actually really cool, but the problem is that everyone who wears them doesn't know how to match their outfits so they look good - hence they are uncool.

You are in decent shape, why are your clothes 3 sizes too big for your body? Its a good look for many people, I don't think its a good look for you.

MY last complaint is that you didn't try very hard, you got to think out of the box. Even the watch is average, its a standard Movado. Be creative, by something cheaper but have fun with it. Let your freak flag fly!

You have earned 3 on the *TT* sliding scale.

Luv2DriveTT 12-21-2005 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, thanks for the thread, its somewhat interesting. That being said,

[ QUOTE ]
Watch: Ewwww!!!! WTF? You really let me down with that one. I won't begin to discuss why

[/ QUOTE ]
isn't discussing why kind of the point? I thought the maple-wall-unit watch was hideous, but could understand why you liked it once you explained.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok ok ok... you got me there. The watch is great for some outfits, but its hideous for what he is wearing. Id rather him not wear a watch at all, his suit is powerful but the watch says "second tier".

RunDownHouse 12-21-2005 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The watch is great for some outfits, but its hideous for what he is wearing. Id rather him not wear a watch at all, his suit is powerful but the watch says "second tier".

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is it bad for what he's wearing? Too simple? Too small? Too black? Too feminine?

Inquisitively,
RunDownHouse

Luv2DriveTT 12-21-2005 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The watch is great for some outfits, but its hideous for what he is wearing. Id rather him not wear a watch at all, his suit is powerful but the watch says "second tier".

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is it bad for what he's wearing? Too simple? Too small? Too black? Too feminine?

Inquisitively,
RunDownHouse

[/ QUOTE ]

His suit is very British, a Saville Row designer. The watch should match. Emporio Armani is sleek Italian 1980s - a mismatched sensibility.

Remember the scale is sliding. Whats bad for him, would not necessarily be bad for someone else. I was just chatting with EdTost.. that watch would rule with the outfits he wears.

12-21-2005 07:37 PM

TT,

When it comes to getting shirts tailored, what should one expect to spend per shirt? And how does one best go about finding a good tailor, outside of giant metro areas like NYC? I live in a suburb of Dallas, and I don't really want to take my clothes to a random asian family to get tailored... an asian family about whom I've heard good things, fine, but I don't run in circles with people who need clothing tailored. I have a dry cleaner I trust, but they were recommended by a friend.

I'm 6'5, 185 - the photo I posted shows me in a decent slim sweater, but generally, my shirts are too big for my body. I end up having to buy shirts that are too big for my body because my arms are too long for a generic "medium," so I end up buying a generic "large," and wearing a damn balloon of a shirt that - thankfully - has arms that are long enough.

Aside from becoming less poor - something that I'm obviously working on - is finding a good tailor and getting my shirts properly tailored to my body a good option?

I feel like this post ended up being written completely backwards, but hey.

Thoughts?

yasher

[censored] 12-21-2005 07:39 PM

TT I wanted to pick out another selection for you to grade this time at Nordstom.com

I went to the jeans part and encountered my first problem. What style Here.

I normally go with loose or relaxed fit but one of your recent replies seemed to advise against that. Any suggestions as to style/fit. I'm a little taller than 5'10 and weigh about 155 so slim.

Luv2DriveTT 12-21-2005 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT I wanted to pick out another selection for you to grade this time at Nordstom.com

I went to the jeans part and encountered my first problem. What style Here.

I normally go with loose or relaxed fit but one of your recent replies seemed to advise against that. Any suggestions as to style/fit. I'm a little taller than 5'10 and weigh about 155 so slim.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the guy in the photo? Thats how a good jean should fit if they are loose. Loose in all the right places, but it still accentuates the good parts of the body. I'm a bit short on time at the moment, I hope thats a good start.

cjmewett 12-21-2005 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suit
Shirt
Links
Shoes (in black)
Watch

Working this time maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suit: Nice choice. If you were to aim higher, where would you go? I recommend Oswald Botang, you can find him on Saville Row.

Shirt: I'm a fan of Thomas Pink for the prince point, but this specific shirt is not one of their best. Make sure you take it to a tailor, tuck in the upper sleeves and nip the back so it form fits your body nicely (and yes you can do it even if you are over weight, it actually looks better guys!)

Links: Excellent. I prefer a small dab of color personally, but grade A choice

Tie: Don't let me down now. Perhaps you should go back to Thomas Pink? Its a nice tie, but considering the outfit you need to take it up a notch

Shoes: Standard. Well done. Personally I'd prefer Costume National boots with your suit, but thats just me. You hit it on the hear here. A++

Watch: Ewwww!!!! WTF? You really let me down with that one. I won't begin to discuss why, but its the low point of your selection. You lose 1.5 points for even considering it! Too bad, you would have been the first 10.

On the *TT* sliding scale I deem your outfit an 8.5. Dump the watch and you will go right to the top of the class.

[/ QUOTE ]Funny that the watch should meet with such a negative reaction; it got stolen a while ago (which you'll no doubt consider to be a blessing) and I just threw it in there to get an opinion. I'm in the market for a new watch now and have been looking at a couple different vintage Bulova Curvex... similarly disgusting to you? I never thought of Emporio Armani as "80s Italian" (the watches, anyway). What would you consider to be a more fitting complement? I'm 5'11" 155ish and as you noted, my style is very British (Savile Row suits are great for my shape; love the high armholes). So now we're looking for a suitable watch, and NOT looking for a $1K-plus showpiece. NO BRAG WATCHES, just something that looks good and doesn't scream "80s Italian"! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Jonny 12-21-2005 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they weren't cool then, and they are not cool now. OK... I lie. They are actually really cool, but the problem is that everyone who wears them doesn't know how to match their outfits so they look good - hence they are uncool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give an example of what outfits would match with them so they would look good?

[censored] 12-21-2005 08:17 PM

OK I found 3 pairs I like

http://a1216.g.akamai.net/f/1216/955...rge/169851.jpg
G Star Raw Denim harrison jeans $150

http://a1216.g.akamai.net/f/1216/955...rge/157348.jpg
Mavi jeans $88

http://a1216.g.akamai.net/f/1216/955...rge/166276.jpg pure stuff isaac jeans $70

PokerBob 12-21-2005 08:18 PM

i wear levi 560 jeans and a white t-shirt i have owned for anywhere between 4 and 10 years. blue adidas shoes. rolex submariner watch (stainless and black). no belt.

Paluka 12-21-2005 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pricepoint? I think you should be paying some $$$ my friend, its not cheep to live like an boho hipster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, because I'd like it to be casual I don't want to spend too much, but since I've been known to play $300/$600 I certainly don't have to be cheap.

d10 12-21-2005 08:40 PM

Nothing beats a good Versace.

http://myspace-185.vo.llnwd.net/0035...54538185_m.jpg

twang 12-21-2005 08:44 PM

Wow, this thread is good.

If I could add one thing to TT's solid advice it'd be this: Get a a couple of real [censored] watches, people! I don't mean showoff brands like Rolex or Omega (although if you have the $$$, sure, why not), just well designed, high-quality mechanics/automatics. I admit, there are some creative designs among the non-brands, but 99% of the time you'll be better off with a watch-watch.

If you'd buy a car, wouldn't you rather buy an Mercedes than a no-name POS on wheels with a DKNY-logo?

crosse91 12-21-2005 09:08 PM

i've got a good one for you TT. http://polo.imageg.net/graphics/prod...ndard_v330.jpg http://www.cavenders.com/assets/prod...13MWZGK1_f.jpg
http://www.cavenders.com/assets/prod...s/JUS03408.gif