Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Thinman (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393838)

AngryCola 12-08-2005 11:49 PM

Re: Thinman

[ QUOTE ]
people basically don't have static ips unless they pay extra for them. those kind of people are few and far between. some isps are really slack on how often they change them, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. But I have a (bad) habit of referring to those that rarely change as static.
Mine has been the same for a very long time, and I don't pay extra or anything like that.

[ QUOTE ]
the odds of affecting an innocent cable/dsl user by doing an ip ban is basically slim to none though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always agreed with this, but Chuck has voiced some concerns about it.

[ QUOTE ]
if the dude's truly nuts this might draw his ire and cause him to dial in or post through a proxy or whatever. pretty much can't stop somebody from expressing something here if they want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I think the IP ban is worth trying. I'm glad Mat did it.

nolanfan34 12-09-2005 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
done, for now. that ip matched four names and is banned

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. I didn't see the original posts, but if he was making threats of some sort, then I totally agree with giving him the boot. People like that get less slack, not more.

Entity 12-09-2005 11:51 AM

Apparently he is threatening to come back and is effectively extorting mslif, saying that if she doesn't post that he's a nice guy (??) he's going to post again. I have no idea what this means since I'm not really wrapped up in the whole Thinman drama but it reeks.

Mat, in the past doing moderation for another forum (120k users so we've had our fair share of trolls), we have actually contacted the ISPs of recurring trolls and either had their services disconnected (all ISPs but AOL will work with us on this) or contacted their work if they're stupid enough to be posting from work. Every major network provider has an abuse department or someone who handles stuff like this. Unfortunately, in the past, it's only been the administrator of the forum that has had the authority to talk directly to their ISPs etc.

I know you're a busy guy, but is this something you might be able to look into?

Rob

Mat Sklansky 12-09-2005 03:39 PM

I'm not sure where i would begin. Can you tell me what I need to do?

B Dids 12-09-2005 04:08 PM

If you just go to www.samspage.org and throw in that IP address, you'll get a list of the ISP's connected to his account and the abuse addresses. Then you'd just fire off an email to those addresses explaining what happened. I would imagine including (if we still have) specific dates and times of posts would be helpful.

Entity 12-09-2005 05:16 PM

Link to his ISP's info.

He's a Pacbell South user. Normally we would call their abuse department and let them know that one of their users was repeatedly violating our terms of service. From there, I'm not sure what has happened but the contact people, it appears, would be here:

[ QUOTE ]
OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE6-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Abuse - Southwestern Bell Internet
OrgAbusePhone: +1-800-648-1626
OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@sbcglobal.net<br />
[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

B Dids 12-09-2005 09:06 PM

FWIW he struck again as "its_me_brat" but Commodus and I hit him with the 2p2 version of the Doomsday Device and he's overwith. Looks like he's posting from a dynamic IP, but based on the tone of the now deleted message, this might be the end of it.

[censored] 12-09-2005 09:07 PM

what do you mean tone?

[censored] 12-09-2005 09:16 PM

interesting hopefully he will tire of the whole thing and it will all go away

jason_t 12-27-2005 12:43 PM

It's possible he has returned as johnsmith5545.

He made the following post in OOT replying to mslif:

Damn! You have good timing. I was just going to ask when we were going to get a new forum whore.

He sent the following pm to mslif:

I hope you had a rotten christmas

He is posting from 71.135.48.220 and is using yet another pacbell email address johnsmith5545@pacbell.net.