Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Is this Phil H whining again? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=34610)

Kurn, son of Mogh 05-20-2003 11:59 AM

Re: Is this Phil H whining again?

I've always said I think Phil is good for poker; a recognizable personality about whom most people have an opinion. And as for his performance at this year's WSOP so far, to quote Dizzy Dean, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

bernie 05-20-2003 07:54 PM

Re: Is this Phil H whining again?

who's alan?

youre right, i dont have much respect for many tourney players. are their some i do? yes. anyone recent? not really that ive seen. they are highly overrated. highly. i do not consider the tourney winners being the best in the world. and im not alone in this thought. yet they are presented as such. however, i think alot of guys in tourneys are cool guys, i just dont think their games are as good as many make them out to be. and phil h is at the top of the list. actually, the primary lightning rod, poster boy for it.

on the other side, you wont find many grinder/ringgamers in tourneys, winning or finishing in the top 3. they may make the final table but rarely win. i will give tourney players credit for having more gamble in them than the ringers. which is what you need to win or place well in the tourney.

sometimes you can tell some ringers from the tourney guys by their display in emotion. hardened ring gamers dont really display much. no real pro or con on this, just an observation.

most of my scorn is reserved for those tourney players that think they are better than they really are. ive noticed this on a local level to a degree too. as i welcome them on my table.
and on a higher level, phil h is a prime example. he's the pot calling the kettle black when he analyzes otheres hands saying how bad someone played.

i think it's funny on the local level how some guys get scared when some 'known' tourney winner is in their game. and i have seen this. then the tourney guys tilts off a rack or 2 after a couple bad beats. yet these are the players that many 'revere'. gimme a break.

my respect for players games goes to the grinders in the trenches. i wonder how many of these 'known' tourney guys would fare if it were a limit game with no escalating blinds? or even a no limit game with the same deal. it wont happen, since the tourney would last forever. but who knows...i may be suprised at who would last and make it to the final table. my guess is that it would be alot of no-names.

cant wait to read phils book, if i do. after only skimming it, i saw the ridicualous animal analogies that he used to describe players.

anyways...

b

btw...i have given credit to some tourney players for a great play. one that comes to mind was scotty N's fold after rivering 2 pair in an earlier WPT tourney. it was a helluva fold. i just obviously lean the other way.

i will give tourney players one benefit, especially the ones on the WPT. if they bring new players in to the tables that think they can win playing the same way as what they see on tv, more power to em.