Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   50/100 Bottom Set, Unraised Pot (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=344213)

Hattifnatt 09-26-2005 04:47 AM

Re: 50/100 Bottom Set, Unraised Pot

Much talking about villian having 77, I don't think he limps on the button with that hand...

The Truth 09-26-2005 06:44 AM

I like it thus far, and I lead on the river.

-blake

theBruiser500 09-26-2005 06:45 PM

He had A8o. I think the right play was to either c/r the turn, or lead the river for the most suspicious amount. I like leading the river more because I think there's more of a chance he is bluffing with some weird hand then there is he has a good hand (that is not a set of sevens) that will CALL me on the turn. Also, IMO CWL you not me are right about his turn bet size.

Daliman 09-26-2005 07:30 PM

Well, I don't play nearly as high, nor likely as well as you, but my lower-level play thinking is that if he has me killed on a non-drawish flop, AND has position on me should I decide to check the turn, why am I concerned about rasing on the flop. Usually, the flop raise when beat in my games is to dissuade draws more than to build a pot, but this guys tricky, and this is 50-100, so I'm sure there is a difference. A raise like this will often blow you off a decent king, and most assuredly off of A7. Obviously, KK is of little concern, but if you are going with 777 raising to build a pot, then why isn't he building it further on the turn? Sure, the argument can be made that 777 is worried that you had a King and that betting to much on that ace will scare you off, but if you have already called a 1k raise on the flop, calling 1500 more into a 4500 pot seems an odd milk/"I'm not so strong" bet. Sure, if he's tricky, he's thought of all this and played it as such, but it seemd to me more things are pointing to 333 being the best hand than not, IMHO. Now, I personally would almost always CR the turn here, but I think I have been losing a fair amount of value doing so, which I am working on, but flat calling the turn and leading the river for about 60% of the flop sounds as if it is likely your best tack here. Given his actual hand, Maybe even minraising the turn and leading same 60% on the river would be good too. I'd like to think at 50-100 though a good, tricky player would realize his top/weak would be no good on turn CR, but I am constantly amazed by my opponents capacity to call with hands that can ONLY beat a total bluff.

I guess THAT goes back to Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, as extrapolated into poker by Irieguy.

Need #1: Physiological needs.
Need #2: The need to call.

Either way, I hope you led out and got paid. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Brock Landers 09-26-2005 08:02 PM

So, what happened on the river?

Prevaricator 09-26-2005 08:08 PM

check check

09-26-2005 08:51 PM

I think you have to bet/call the river. I totally understand your fears, but IMHO, it's much more likely that he has a secondbest hand or a pure bluff than 77. There are 3 possible combinations in the entire deck that beat you, and I don't think you've had the opportunity to show your strength here, so he could easily bluff raise you.