Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The lottery is +EV (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=336011)

pokerdirty 09-13-2005 11:03 PM

Re: The lottery is +EV

i didn't win....what a [censored] sham

mmbt0ne 09-14-2005 12:07 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Whats that movie where a bunch of friends win the lottery chipping in weekly? It ends with one friend killing all the other friends gruesomely so they can keep all the money. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Reindeer Games, except that wasn't about lottery money.

TheCroShow 09-14-2005 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yet another retard uses +EV in a -EV fashion....

[/ QUOTE ]
huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you guys even pay attention to this guy. He's a 20+ year old gamer with a Dawson's Creek avatar. What can he post that is going to be worth reading anyway. If I wasn't such a nice guy he'd already be on ignore.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i was going to respond and say how wrong he was, but then i realized i would probably just be wasting my time. bummer.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

my response was meant to be ironic. i use the dawson avatar because it's memorable and i think it's funny. i could be cool and use a face shot of myself or some cartoon guy slamming his face into the keyboard, but this one is funny to me.

HesseJam 09-14-2005 03:50 AM

Killing yourself could be +EV

tek 09-14-2005 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anybody know anybody personally that's won a big lottery score? i plan on doing it soon, just gotta find somebody to mentor me when i'm retarded rich....

[/ QUOTE ]

About ten years ago a guy in my bowling league went in with a few guys from his work. They bought a shjtload of tickets and one of them hit. IIRC they took the annuity option for $8k per month.

sfer 09-14-2005 11:18 AM

Results, sort of

No winner, everyone is still working. For now. The next draw is on Friday, and the jackpot is now $250 MM. We will have one fewer member in our consortium for the next go round, so I can expect to have like ~$11 MM after I win and pay taxes and all. What should I plan on buying? Is MC Hammer's old mansion in Fremont CA still for sale?

JordanIB 09-14-2005 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anybody know anybody personally that's won a big lottery score? i plan on doing it soon, just gotta find somebody to mentor me when i'm retarded rich....

[/ QUOTE ]

About ten years ago a guy in my bowling league went in with a few guys from his work. They bought a shjtload of tickets and one of them hit. IIRC they took the annuity option for $8k per month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody who takes the annuity option is dumb. The discount rate on the lump sum is something like 4%.

turnipmonster 09-14-2005 11:32 AM

dude, lots of dumb people who would donk off the lump sum in 2 years buy lottery tickets. for someone like that taking the 8k/month option is a pretty good move.

Indiana 09-14-2005 11:38 AM

Hitting powerball is 120million:1. When the prize is over 120 million it is +EV if u assume that only 1 person will hit. Being +EV is not very exciting alone, especially when its absolute value is $.0000000000000001.

Later, Indy

kyro 09-14-2005 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hitting powerball is 120million:1. When the prize is over 120 million it is +EV if u assume that only 1 person will hit. Being +EV is not very exciting alone, especially when its absolute value is $.0000000000000001.

Later, Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks professor. Because nobody here can do math.