Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Second Necrophilia Post (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=323626)

Transference 08-29-2005 12:54 PM

Re: Second Necrophilia Post

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. This is the only reason of the few that Transference gave that he did not refute, and it seems pretty hard to deny. Performing necrophilia certainly isn't GOOD for you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because I didnt refute it doesnt mean I don't think its refutable. I also think I combined 2 distinct issues a little bit. Theres a difference between restraining an individual for his own good per se, and protecting socities interests. For example, it is illegal to sell a felon a firearm not to prevent the felon from going back to prison, but to prevent others from being harmed.

Peter666 08-31-2005 07:19 AM

The principle is perfect. What is confusing and vacuous is the society that bases its morality on subjective, cultural views rather than objective, logical reasons.

America, a cross between puritanism and liberalism, is such a society.

Piers 08-31-2005 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the first post I forgot to ask those who say it is wrong whether they also think it should be ILLEGAL. So I'm asking that now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Necrophilia feels disgusting to me but not evil; much the same as smoking cigarettes but much stronger. I don’t think its important whether its illegal or not, certainly its not something that’s going to bother me one way or the other. Although associated crimes like theft and vandalism should be potentially applicable to necrophiliacs.

[ QUOTE ]
Some things cheapen society and the human condition, and are not worth any price."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry this completely misses me. Also any statement with “not worth any price” in. is almost always an over generalisation and hence wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
No greater good justifies a wrong action

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt if anyone really believes this, and even those that would claim to almost certainly don’t adhere to their declared belief.

Although of course there are unlimited examples of greater good, wrong actions pairings where most people would not consider the one justifies the other.

Anyone here read “The Ringworld Engineers” by Larry Niven?

tek 09-05-2005 12:00 PM

My thoughts on Necrophelia (and I'm sure David will agree with my premise):

I'm Jewish. My ex-wife is Jewish. My new wife is a Shiksa.

My premise is that having sex with a Jewish woman is similar to what I imagine necrophelia to be like. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

(...Unless they speak during the act, which would be something along the lines of "I hate our wallpaper".) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PokerAmateur4 09-06-2005 03:34 AM

"No greater good justifies a wrong action"

In the (logically non-existent?) world of right and wrong, murdering an innocent person is wrong. However, there is a greater good to commiting this that would justify it.

I think that you can quantify the result. If killing the one person results in one person dieing, however NOT doing the action would result in 10 people dieing, the wrong action is justified. How can you argue this?

Example:

Anyone who thinks that people being killed it wrong who is given the choice of
a) Killing one person
b) Allowing 100 million persons to be killed as a consequence of not choosing a, is Krazy.