Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Poll -- What is Hero's error in this $33 hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=306810)

mmbt0ne 08-03-2005 01:28 PM

Re: Poll -- What is Hero\'s error in this $33 hand

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
FYP. If the KK reraises to 270, you're getting 2.25:1 (405 in the middle against a 180 call). If the enemy plays AK-AQ and AA-QQ the same way, that's a pos-EV call. And you go broke to that flop, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I hate this. Reverse implied odds KILL you here. I'm not willing to invest half my stack out of position preflop with JJ. If you're going to play after the reraise, I think you have to push.

Maulik 08-03-2005 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised preflop to begin with, and make things a lot easier. I open for 75-100 preflop and see what happens. JJ is a tough hand to play out of position, and raising preflop gives us pretty cheap information about what hands we are up agaist postflop. You played preflop like you were playing for set value, so then you should fold the flop when you miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good information.

Mr_J 08-03-2005 01:31 PM

FWIW I think "going broke" in this hand and blindly pushing preflop with JJ early on (some guys mentioned it) are both worse than limping preflop.

durron597 08-03-2005 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm confused now. You have no problem continuation betting a completely whiffed AK against one opponent but suddenly my jacks have no value if an overcard comes???

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I don't continuation bet 100% of the time.
2) If AK hits we know we are almost always ahead. If it misses we know we are almost always behind. With JJ, no matter what the flop is we don't know unless it has a J on it or it comes like AKQ.

curtains 08-03-2005 01:32 PM

FWIW I think opening allin here is stronger than simply folding preflop.

ldavidjm 08-03-2005 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is definitely a win a small pot lose your whole stack situation. I would rather fold preflop (instead of the limp) than play a big pot here out of position when I have 23 BB left.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not advocating open folding jacks here? I'm sure I'm misreading. I'm open raising jacks pretty much everytime, especially when I have a short stack. Jacks are a darn good hand, half the time you get a nice flop, sometimes you get 1 overcard where a continuation will take it down a solid % of the time. I think this weak playing of jacks is passing up tons of value.

freemoney 08-03-2005 01:36 PM

curtains do u really ever go broke here at the 215s?

Uppercut 08-03-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm raising in this spot with jacks EVERY time.

[/ QUOTE ]

curtains 08-03-2005 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
curtains do u really ever go broke here at the 215s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero has 680 chips, and this is a $33. You can't talk about this hand as though it was a $215.

45suited 08-03-2005 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) I don't continuation bet 100% of the time.

2) If AK hits we know we are almost always ahead. If it misses we know we are almost always behind. With JJ, no matter what the flop is we don't know unless it has a J on it or it comes like AKQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of misleading. Sure you pretty well know you're ahead when an A or K comes. But when an A or K doesn't come, you're just guessing.

Ever thought of this: You keep talking about the times that an over comes to my jacks. But AK whiffs more often than an over to my jacks flops. And just because a Q or K comes doesn't mean I'm beaten. (Aces are of course more scary.) So the uncertainty that you speak of happens more often with AK than it does with Jacks since most of the time with jacks when there are no overs I'm still ahead. I'm not scared betting into a queen high flop with a pair of jacks. Like anything else, if I meet resistance, I'll re-evalute.

But given the hero's stack pre-flop, it is important that he takes down a pot. Even if it's "small" (a raise to 90 followed by a call, a flop bet and a fold by his lone opponent) this pot is important. Limping would not be nearly as bad if he had a large stack already.