Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   If you were me.............. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295926)

flair1239 07-19-2005 12:03 PM

Re: If you were me..............

[ QUOTE ]

I know. I've had a few 150 drops, and just had a 200BB drop. I think I'm dealing with them OK, as I KNOW it is not about NOW but about the long road. That said, if I have a 500BB drop, I'm not sure how I'll react.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to talk about 500BB drops PM me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PokerBob 07-19-2005 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bob,

Your benefits package turn this.

Yes you could gross more playing poker. But you are going to be incurring additional expenses.

Off hand I would say matching social security would take out a chunk. The replacing your health insurance. As well as retirement benefits and stuff like that.

If you were saying you were going to go get your masters or something like that, I would say it is a good idea. But not for a career.

I know sometimes you like to let off steam after bad runs. But I wonder if keeping your teaching job might be better for your emotional health as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if I kill a kid? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I don't intend to make poker a career.

I agree that the benefits package is important, but at what point do I give that up? Is it worth 10K? 20K? IF I KNEW I was going to make 100K, would it be worth it to give up the benefits? I know the insurance comes out to abouy 5K, and I will miss out on some matching funds from the 403(b) which amounts to about 1500. I am guessing the year of pension I will miss is worth about 4K. Assuming I made 70K, I intend to put at least 7K of that into retirement.

I have taught for 9 years. I can always go back. I will have more free time, which I think many are overlooking here. I live simply. I don't needs lots of money, but IMO there is a lot to be made now with online poker. I don't think it is absurd to think that I could be at 10/20 and winning at more than 1bb/100. I am a nut and work really hard on my game. I'm rambling......

sdc 07-19-2005 12:07 PM

I second this thought
3 months off a year + spring break + xmas break + every holiday in the world
Stick w/ it
And be a little more aggressive moving up

I hope to one day teach so I can dedicate more time to playing cards, its either that or landlording....

Currently I work for a contractor.... 8 holidays and 2 weeks vacation

I am envious of your situation....

By holding a full time job you can afford to move up much faster

Just my thoughts

LImitPlayer 07-19-2005 12:12 PM

The 5-10 numbers make me a bit nervous. It would make me question if I was truly a winning player, at that limit

You said 300 hands an hour so I am assuming you are 3 tablng the 5-10 SH, you can make the same at the 3-6 limits 4 tabling with your winrate. (excluding rakeback) If you add 1 extra table when going from short to full you willl still be easily able to keep up with the pace of the game.

I think if you are counting on the extra income from rakeback to give your winnings a boost need you could be making a mistake.

Are you the kind of person who gets stressed easily over a 200BB slide? OR can you just shrug it easily off and say thats poker?

YOu will have a lot of downswings at the 5-10 with a .88BB/100 winrate, with your higher winrate at 3-6 your downswing will be less severe.

As for what your winrate should be I can't say as it will vary from person to person. Soenone who makes 100K a year will want amuch higher winrate than someone who makes 30K a year.

If you are willing to live with the fact you might make a little less money then if you were teaching and just wanted to take a year off for the hell of it then go for it.

sfer 07-19-2005 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Teach and play in your spare time. Keep trying to move up in limits. If you are successful in moving up you can still teach, make more than 76K from poker in your spare time and still have plenty of free time to do other things in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Max is wise.

flair1239 07-19-2005 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bob,

Yes you could gross more playing poker. But you are going to be incurring additional expenses.

Off hand I would say matching social security would take out a chunk. The replacing your health insurance. As well as retirement benefits and stuff like that.

If you were saying you were going to go get your masters or something like that, I would say it is a good idea. But not for a career.

I know sometimes you like to let off steam after bad runs. But I wonder if keeping your teaching job might be better for your emotional health as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the benefits package is important, but at what point do I give that up? Is it worth 10K? 20K? IF I KNEW I was going to make 100K, would it be worth it to give up the benefits? I know the insurance comes out to abouy 5K, and I will miss out on some matching funds from the 403(b) which amounts to about 1500. I am guessing the year of pension I will miss is worth about 4K. Assuming I made 70K, I intend to put at least 7K of that into retirement.

I have taught for 9 years. I can always go back. I will have more free time, which I think many are overlooking here. I live simply. I don't needs lots of money, but IMO there is a lot to be made now with online poker. I don't think it is absurd to think that I could be at 10/20 and winning at more than 1bb/100. I am a nut and work really hard on my game. I'm rambling......

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not doubting anything you said. I guess I am just more or less putting myself in your position.

With me it is hard to visualise because I have a two year old, am divorced and making child support and alimony payments. Stuff like that, so stability has to be near the top of my priorities.

Overall, your situation sounds close to ideal. I would like it better if you were already at 10/20, with 1000BB BR. Because if you hit a bad patch you could drop down to 5/10 and still make your "nut". Where I think now if "Armageddon" happend, you would be looking at 3/6 and that would make it tough.

PokerBob 07-19-2005 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are willing to live with the fact you might make a little less money then if you were teaching and just wanted to take a year off for the hell of it then go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very conservative in my calculations, and I know I could live on less than I make teaching. Easily.

I find it curious that you think I should consider 3/6, even though my sample sizes for 3/6 and 5/10 are about the same. (I was at closer to 1.4 in 5/10 until I dropped 200BB in my last 5K hands. I know I have leaks and am working on them, but IMO I have run bad for all but 15K hands in that game.) I know 3/6 is always an option, but IMO I can beat 5/10. I'm not trying to be arrogant, I just work hard and am pretty disciplined. I appreciate your input, as it helps me think things through.

wuwei 07-19-2005 12:23 PM

What school are you at, Bob?

I voted teach, but it's close. However, after reading the thread I could see taking a year off. The key for me is that it's a sabbatical, and the job will be waiting for you when you get back. I'm assuming that there are benefits as far as salary and pension goes to sticking with the same school - and if you can pick right back up after a year the same levels that's a good thing? Better than having to find a new job at some other school.

This is the time to take advantage of poker, and if you can really focus on improving your game I could see you moving up and beating bigger games. This will improve your earn in the future as you get back into teaching and continue playing poker for supplementary income. What the hell, give it a shot. But avoid the temptation to turn it into 2 or 3 years off - I think longterm a nice salary working 9 months of the year with those benefits will be more important.

Good luck either way.

PokerBob 07-19-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bob,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not doubting anything you said. I guess I am just more or less putting myself in your position.

With me it is hard to visualise because I have a two year old, am divorced and making child support and alimony payments. Stuff like that, so stability has to be near the top of my priorities.

Overall, your situation sounds close to ideal. I would like it better if you were already at 10/20, with 1000BB BR. Because if you hit a bad patch you could drop down to 5/10 and still make your "nut". Where I think now if "Armageddon" happend, you would be looking at 3/6 and that would make it tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point. I forgot to mention that I have 5K in my box at Canterbury, so I guess that could be part of my roll, too. Basically right now I have 26K. I think that should be enough to count as roll + 5-6 months security. I hope.

PokerBob 07-19-2005 12:26 PM

Good input. Thanks.