Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Moneymaker implosion? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=290163)

betgo 07-12-2005 02:31 AM

Re: Moneymaker implosion?

No one has posted what Moneymaker's stack size was and what the blinds and antes were.

In general, this seems like a pretty standard move for the short stack. He has suited cards, so he is not that big a dog against a random hand. If he gets called, he has pot odds with the blinds and antes. Plus he may pick up the blinds and antes without a fight.

In a tournament, it is pretty standard to push if either blind has a short stack from the SB with almost any two cards. In an SNG or supersatellite, survival is often important, so you may need to play tighter.

This just shows that Moneymaker is decent player.

MicroBob 07-12-2005 04:00 AM

do we know how many chips he had left?
If they are just saying that his last hand was an all-in with a 72 and he got knocked out we don't know much.

I was all-in with a 53o in the SB in a tournament I played in.
Does that make me a terrible player?
Does it make a difference that I had less then the SB left in my stack (after losing an all-in to a slightly larger stack)?

Most poker players would agree that it actually DOES make a difference.
All-in with 72?? For 30xBB in your stack that's a sucky play.
If you have 3 or 4BB's or so remaining then what's the problem??

VoxGibson 07-12-2005 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Donkeymaker busted out after pushing all in with 72h from the small blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a world champion,
Don't you think donkeymaker is a little harsh for a world champion...

Roy Munson 07-12-2005 05:46 AM

I am partial to Donkey Puncher.

benfranklin 07-12-2005 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ALL IM GONNA SAY IS....

[/ QUOTE ]

All cap letters is the internet equivalent of shouting. It is not polite, and most people, like me, don't bother to read such posts.

mlagoo 07-12-2005 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know, the moneymaker bashers really annoy the hell out of me. I was on the table next to moneymaker when he busted. He was a super short stack and was obviously stealing. After he busted I got to listen to a bunch of nits at my table bad mouth him for how stupid he was for going all in with 72o.

I dont get all the hatred for him. Is he the greatest poker player ever? hell no. So what, whog ives a [censored]? He doesnt act like he is, he seems like a pretty modest guy. I think it all just basically boils down to jealousy. They are mad some "clown" won a bracelet, and they cant even make the money in any big tourny. Its the same idiots who table coach good online games. They are just looking for anyoen to listen so they can prove how smart they are, and they they don't infact have really small pee pees.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post

AliasMrJones 07-12-2005 01:00 PM

For those of you trying to explain why MM made this play, I think you're all forgetting that this is the WPT forum. In the STT forum all the posts would be about boring and standard a play this was rather than shock and surprise.

BlackAces 07-12-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Donkeymaker busted out after pushing all in with 72h from the small blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a world champion,
Don't you think donkeymaker is a little harsh for a world champion...

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.cardplayer.com/world_seri...t_varkonyi.jpg

I rest my case.

TheCroShow 07-12-2005 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah we can only call it a bad move if an amateur does it. And if an amateur wins with 7-2 hes a bad player but if a pro does it,he had a good read and pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

on a sidenote, i think it's become trendy for ppl to call moneymaker a "suckout" a fluke, blah blah. sure he may not be the best world champion of all time, but give the guy some freakin credit!