Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Big Issues (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=266802)

ACPlayer 06-08-2005 09:03 AM

Re: Big Issues

Well, I certainly dont have an economics degree, but have started and ran a couple of successful software businesses, consulted for major banks at the very senior most levels of management, and otherwise worked in corporate America.

But, I suspect you are right - I am a classic case of the American Left.

lehighguy 06-08-2005 02:11 PM

Paul Krugman has a lot of degrees in economics, but you couldn't tell from his columns.

Sometimes people ignore what they know is true because they don't want to here it. For instance, I think your stance has less to do with understanding the situation and more to do with opposing anything you think has anything to do with the right. So far you haven't really responded to anything I've said, you've just spouted of the same talking points I might hear from some political hack on CNN or FOX.

ACPlayer 06-08-2005 03:07 PM

OK. So why is this same analysis not true for the way you think?

Perhaps you can enlighten us to your qualifications and real world experience so we can understand why your opinions are more valid than Paul Krugman or Jos Shmoe or why you are not spouting off based on some other political hack on CNN or FOX.

I cant tell that from what you say, your ability to understand what I say, or your ability to run a spell checker. From what I can see you are more often on the wrong side of most issues and not on the right side.

lehighguy 06-08-2005 06:42 PM

On some matters, like education of economics, and theoretical and empirical data are so in favor of certain truths its startling that anyone would believe otherwise. When I read a column by Paul Krugman about how the "special" treasury bonds held by the SS trust fund are just as valid as actual open-market treasuries it makes you wonder what planet he's on. One is an actual asset that has value and can be turned into cash. The other is a "sacred trust" as he puts it that has value as well. Well maybe if you mean moral value Paul, because it sure as [censored] doesn't have any monetary value, and if you go to the Fed that's what they'll tell you. Paul wants to save SS and he'll even mislead his leaders by writing an article that leads them to believe those bonds are the same as open-market bonds, rather then a loan against future taxes. He's telling an outright lie because he doesn't want to talk about the truth. And on some issues it seems like that's what the left does.

I don't know if abortion should be legal, or gay marraige should be allowed, or if rap music is good for our kids. Those are all value judgements, and while I may have opinions they are only my opinions. But on some of the most basic tests of logic, usually related to economics, I don't think my conclusions are opinions I think they are proven facts. SO when people disagree with me I think they have got to be crazy.