Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Daniel Negreanu is now 1st a businessman, 2nd a poker player (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=243692)

Your Mom 05-03-2005 12:55 PM

Re: Daniel Negreanu is now 1st a businessman, 2nd a poker player

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it seems to be that you have little concept of how capitalism and a free market approach works. if the wages being paid for Nike were so atrociously bad, people wouldn't work there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be so naive as to believe this can you? I hate "lol" but I am literally laughing so hard that you're seriously suggesting that sweat shop wages in Indonesia aren't so bad, because, well, why else would people work there? Maybe because they're poor Indonesions who are easily exploitable due to a lack of options. YOU CANNOT HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS DRIVEL! HOLY [censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying is: they're better off with the sweat shops than without them because they have no other options, but the sweat shops are bad anyway, because they don't treat their workers as well as US employers are forced to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehh not to hijack this thread or anything, but if anyone believes sweat shop wages are anything but terrible you might want to do some research on the subject. I'm not a know it all but I happened to do some research on sweat shops and child prostition in Asia and it basically goes like:

1. Family can't eat.
2. Someone says if you let us take your child we will pay you 200 bucks a month
3. Family has choice of either letting child starve to death or give them up. Literally, the child is starving to death. What is the family going to do?
4. Child leaves and works for "company" for very very little money a month, which is given directly to family, plus the child is given food.

Sorry for this comment but it bothers me when people talk about this subject, because it's really serious and something everyone should know about. If you want further discussion I suggest someone starts a thread in OOT or looks up research...and by research I mean credible, like library style research.

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

Not gonna happen much here in America. Knowledge of the rest of the world is not at a premium here, nor is giving a damn or believing we have any responsibility for anything.

As long as we have 25 kinds of potato chips on the shelves, everyone can go to hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet people in our country do more for these people than any other country in the world.

Bluffoon 05-03-2005 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say the comparison between Daniel and Tiger Woods is very valid. Tiger only gets paid if he plays, and he is directly paid based on performance. He has no golf contract (though many endorsement contracts) which pays him regardless of how good or bad he does. I believe that if Tiger failed to make the cut in a golf tournament he gets paid nothing, similiar to how Daniel would get paid nothing if he didn't make it past the bubble in a poker tourney.

Now luck plays a MUCH lower role in the case of Golf vs Poker (as evidenced by Tiger's 100's of cuts made in a row). However luck does have swings in the results very often in both poker and golf. And Tiger is taking his money where he can, just like Daniel.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my understanding that Tiger Woods commands significant appearance fees from tournament sponsors.

koa 05-03-2005 02:45 PM

really, who asks D Neg. where is a good place on the net to play poker? Ofcourse he is going to say Poker Mountain. I don't really find all of this suprising. He is invested in a lot of projects, so are alot of pros. They all would do the same. The things that Daniel talks about that are valuable can not be swayed. Stuff like reading flop, playing against different opponents, etc. As long as that doesnt get mixed up. Go ahead and plug your other stuff here and there it understandable

blatz 05-03-2005 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yet people in our country do more for these people than any other country in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what you are even talking about or do you just enjoy the soothing sound of a keyboard clicking while basking in a glow of American superiority?

"Of the world's 21 wealthiest developed countries the United States ranks 20th, just ahead of Japan, for its policies aimed at reducing poverty in poor countries, according to a new index released Monday by the Washington-based Center for Global Development (CGD) and the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

To obtain the rankings, the authors of the report gave equal weight to six categories of policies pursued by the 21 wealthiest nations that have an impact on world poverty. The categories included aid, trade, investment, immigration, peacekeeping, and the environment. Using various criteria for each set of policies, the authors awarded a raw score of between zero and 10 to each country's performance in that category and then calculated the average for all seven"

link

SA125 05-03-2005 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say the comparison between Daniel and Tiger Woods is very valid. Tiger only gets paid if he plays, and he is directly paid based on performance. He has no golf contract (though many endorsement contracts) which pays him regardless of how good or bad he does. I believe that if Tiger failed to make the cut in a golf tournament he gets paid nothing, similiar to how Daniel would get paid nothing if he didn't make it past the bubble in a poker tourney.

Now luck plays a MUCH lower role in the case of Golf vs Poker (as evidenced by Tiger's 100's of cuts made in a row). However luck does have swings in the results very often in both poker and golf. And Tiger is taking his money where he can, just like Daniel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping the thread would die but, if it's going to keep it's legs........

It's no where near the same and here's why.

If Tiger and Daniel each played an amatuer h/u, a 10 handicap for Tiger and a guy like Diablo for Daniel, every day for a month, or 3 months, how many times do you think they each lose? If Tiger loses once, it's a miracle. A 10 handicap has no chance to beat him on his worst day. If Daniel doesn't lose once, it'a a miracle. On his best day, the deck could just be cold.

Guys like Chip Reese have made a ton of money over the long haul, and Daniel recently. But they could never dominate an average field everyday like Tiger could. Or any top ranked player in the world, for that matter.

popniklas 05-03-2005 08:21 PM

FYI, the wages that Nike pays in Vietnam are significantly higher than the average wages for comparable jobs in the same country. The working conditions are also better (or at least not as bad) compared to other jobs in Vietnam. The governing Vietnamese Communist Party LOVES Nike and their contribution to the countrys economy. I'm not joking.

I don't know about Indonesia though, but I believe that edtosts argumentation is correct.

KaiShin 05-04-2005 12:23 AM

Does anyone here really think that professional athletes who have reached international recognition make more money playing their sport than they do in endorsements?

I didn't think so.

Your Mom 05-04-2005 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what you are even talking about or do you just enjoy the soothing sound of a keyboard clicking while basking in a glow of American superiority?

"Of the world's 21 wealthiest developed countries the United States ranks 20th, just ahead of Japan, for its policies aimed at reducing poverty in poor countries, according to a new index released Monday by the Washington-based Center for Global Development (CGD) and the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

To obtain the rankings, the authors of the report gave equal weight to six categories of policies pursued by the 21 wealthiest nations that have an impact on world poverty. The categories included aid, trade, investment, immigration, peacekeeping, and the environment. Using various criteria for each set of policies, the authors awarded a raw score of between zero and 10 to each country's performance in that category and then calculated the average for all seven"

link

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, maybe we aren't number one, but I sure as hell don't remember hearing the Indonesians or anyone else for that matter running donation drives raising money for us after 9-11. Yet we continue to give, give, give. So does our govt.

umdpoker 05-04-2005 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone here really think that professional athletes who have reached international recognition make more money playing their sport than they do in endorsements?

I didn't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe arod. its probably close though.