Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   squash (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387187)

Ulysses 11-30-2005 06:23 AM

Re: squash

daryn,

Are you familiar with the Quick Reply feature? You should give it a try.

Helpfully yours,
El Diablo

daryn 11-30-2005 06:24 AM

ok..

nice!

housenuts 11-30-2005 06:30 AM

play squash for a bit. you will quickly realize racquetball is for amateurs.

as for a $5,000 bet it is enticing. i don't exactly have the money for that but if i ever do i'll look you up. this is probably a +ev spot for backers.

one day daryn we will be at the same poker tourney and we'll meet up for a game.

daryn 11-30-2005 06:33 AM

btw i have nothing against squash, and would play it. i watched the video and it seemed like the guys always hit it so high up on the wall. where are the kill shots? no ceiling ball? back wall? bah!

housenuts 11-30-2005 06:44 AM

no ceiling, but you can use the back wall.

evil_twin 11-30-2005 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tennis is way better.
Spins actually do something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who say Tennis is better just haven't played squash. Tennis is a good game, I used to play a lot, but very different. It's nice to be outside, but it's like going for a long walk compared to going for a long run. Very different games. All that time between games, clearing balls up etc, makes it much slower.

You proved you never played squash (or hardly ever) by suggesting that spins don't do anything in squash. Drop shots and topspin are used just as much.

housenuts 11-30-2005 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i probably weigh at least 50 lbs. more than him

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been trying to sleep for the past hour but i can't. i just thought of something funny too. if you weigh 50 lbs. more than me no way you can beat me in almost any physical activity.

11-30-2005 09:59 AM

I dunno, I weigh 265 and unless you're D1 A bball player, I would bet anything on earth that I would smoke you in one-on-one.

sry for teh mini hijack, but that statement reeks of not true.

hmm, where would I be able to go to check out this... squaaashh? a typical gym?

housenuts 11-30-2005 12:33 PM

you don't way 50 lbs. more than me

stoxtrader 11-30-2005 01:10 PM

The amount of calories burned in squash is directly corelated to your level of play - the better you are, the more you burn because the points last longer. pro matches can sometimes become a test of will as much as skill.

raccquetball is also a fun sport, better for novices imo, and easier to get competent at.

I have played a fair amount of both and much prefer squash if there is a decent game - i would compare the workout to wrestling, boxing or swimming sprints, for a good squash singles player. I think i would prefer racquetball if my opponent was a novice though. but either was is fine, you can play squash in such a way as to entirely and sadistically maxmimize the amount of running your lesser skilled opponent does, with the point ending only when he refuses to run anymore, not when either of you hits a winner (or rarely anyways).

If anyone in NYC is decent at squash and looking for a game, PM me.