Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Apparently I can't dress myself (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400998)

patrick_mcmurray 12-19-2005 03:29 AM

Re: Apparently I can\'t dress myself

1. Apparently shoes are the most important thing for a girl. I have just bought a pair of Timberland smart nubuck boots which go down well.
2. Do you have a sister or someone else who can go on a shopping trip with you?
3. It sounds harsh, but wearing a free fleece is not a great idea.
4. I get a lot of my stuff in hiking shops. They sell great quality and cool gear eg north face, berghaus.
5. A pair of black wool trousers is always a good investment.
6. If its for dates then pay money and get a smart haircut. (I know that you are bald in your avatar, so this point may not apply).

gl man

Blarg 12-19-2005 03:39 AM

You might get lucky at a department store, but their stuff often tends to be cheap flashy stuff. You might have to go to a shoe store. I agree with TT that Italian shoes are often very nice. Not always, though; sometimes they take advantage of their rep and cheap you out.

Shoes are an item with severe quality problems, and sometimes they are extremely overpriced according to brand. For instance, even some fairly expensive shoes are glued rather than sewn, or glued in some places and sewn in others. Some you can give a tug on the heel and hear the leather already starting to separate from the heel and sole. Some are sewn noticeably unevenly onto the sole, so when looking down you can see the sole sticking out more or less than usual. Some have an incredibly thin finish, so with the merest thumbnail scrape the top colored leather starts to flake right off.

You have to really look over a shoe and make sure you're getting quality, no matter what price you're paying. Especially since shoes basically take a lot of abuse and pressure, even if you only walk with them from the curb to the carpet.

rusellmj 12-19-2005 03:58 AM

I can only think of Florsheim (sp?), any other shoe stores you can think of?

Eurotrash 12-19-2005 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alden, Allen Edmonds and Johnston and Murphy come to mind. the first two are pretty expensive I think, J&M is a bit more affordable.

Jdanz 12-19-2005 04:08 AM

clearly i'm incapable of making these distinctions.

lapoker17 12-19-2005 04:30 AM

im sure evreyone means well, but you're not getting him to go from skechers to guccis. [censored] - just get some kenneth coles, they will be a good transition from your usual - not too metro, but cool enough.

here's a pair that will be fine:

SHOES

these will be ok with jeans or pants - you can pick up a pair of slip ons that look similar as well.

lapoker17 12-19-2005 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i RARELY pull the "men shouldn't" card, but i cannot support dudes wearing turtlenecks

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf - dude after seeing your pictures, you could definitely rock the turtleneck. i think you would like it.

lapoker17 12-19-2005 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your thoughts on diesel or lucky jeans?

I bought two pairs of luckys @ the one on 3rd st prom, not cheap...

[/ QUOTE ]

very 4 years ago. you can do better. i think you are in la right? just go to the nordstrom outlet thing a few exits down the 405 - they should have real jeans there for the same price you are paying retail on the promenade. ag/seven etc... you will like them better.

sarahbellum 12-19-2005 05:24 AM

I can't believe all of the references to all of the over-priced metrosexual jeans (sevens, etc). Jeez.

Get some normal jeans. Brand does NOT matter. The only thing that matters is how they make your butt look. Those other jeans are for suckers.

[censored] 12-19-2005 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe all of the references to all of the over-priced metrosexual jeans (sevens, etc). Jeez.

Get some normal jeans. Brand does NOT matter. The only thing that matters is how they make your butt look. Those other jeans are for suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

how the [censored] do I know how my butt looks? send you a picture ? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Blarg 12-19-2005 05:53 AM

Try them on in the store and look in the mirror.

[censored] 12-19-2005 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try them on in the store and look in the mirror.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yeah I get that, I meant more like what girls may say looks good I may hate. ill jsut go with what feels right.

[censored] 12-19-2005 06:03 AM

how about slacks vs. jeans. not the butt thing but in general for going out? too much, with shirt untucked?

chisness 12-19-2005 06:13 AM

lapoker,

you're giving great suggestions.

censored,

a few months ago i went on a similar spree after realizing i could use some new items. don't listen to brand X being better than brand Y crap, you need to go to a store and look at the styles and see which ones fit/look best. if you don't mind spending a bit, try saks or neiman and their salespeople will help you pick things out. these places also have massive sales -- for instance, saks had a 40% off everything for one day a month or so ago.

cashmere is kinda cool, but unnecessary and doesn't sound reasonable for your price range. i guess there are various qualities though cause i've seen sweaters ranging from like $40 to $2500.

Blarg 12-19-2005 06:39 AM

Pants of all kinds are good to have. Jeans are still not acceptable in many places, so you need some alternatives. They might be fine for going to some restaurants and clubs, but not others. If you've already got some jeans, I don't see any reason to stock up on more. Plus it's nice to be a little dressier sometimes, and women often like a sharper dresser very much. You can still look rich in jeans, but there's only so sharp you can look in jeans.

It's especially true that you don't need to go overboard getting more and more super pricey jeans. A lot of that business is purely about ego, and many expensive brands are just as poorly cut and made as much cheaper brands. Look for quality of construction and finish.

What the other fellow said about it looking good on you is more important. For that, trying them on is going to tell you more than a brand name ever will. A girl looking at you from across the room will think you look much better in a pair of pants that fits you well than one that doesn't look so hot on you but costs 10x more. If she's still checking for brand names too hard and doesn't recognize that you've made quality choices regardless of brand name, she knows less about fashion than you do. What I'm saying is that isn't that likely. Work on the look first - quality, fit and finish, and make brand name a distant consideration. A pair of really nice shoes and well chosen glasses/sunglasses will be all the showing off you need if you dress well.

P.S. if you want to, you can take the brand labels and insignias off a lot of jeans and clothes and many look much better if you do so. A little pair of nail scissors and some plucking at some threads can do the job.

thatpfunk 12-19-2005 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't play ball, baby

[/ QUOTE ]

you never run into dress code issues in nice bars, clubs, or restaurants in Boston? i'm in NYC and sneakers are a non-starter in just about all upscale clubs/lounges.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've gone to quite a few "chic" or "swanky" spots in NYC and had no problem getting in wearing black or grey skate shoes. The only place I've been hassled is in Vegas (Studio 54), but everywhere else didn't mind (i think you can go in a wife beater and boxers if you're paying for bottle service).

Somewhat similar:
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/9...13ladio8po.gif

Luv2DriveTT 12-19-2005 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alden, Allen Edmonds and Johnston and Murphy come to mind. the first two are pretty expensive I think, J&M is a bit more affordable.

[/ QUOTE ]

for the average OOT'er who is looking to get a nice pair of shoes, you should only shop at Nordstroms. Those of us in the big cities have better sollutions of course.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Luv2DriveTT 12-19-2005 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i RARELY pull the "men shouldn't" card, but i cannot support dudes wearing turtlenecks

[/ QUOTE ]

Survey says: wrong. Remember - no rubber soles, too chunky on the bottum. It will make your feet look too big.

Luv2DriveTT 12-19-2005 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't reccomend taking the advice of this poster, its great advice for someone who already knows style and is looking to explore, but bad advice for someone like [censored] who is looking to polish up his act.

peachy 12-19-2005 10:02 AM

PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Voltron87 12-19-2005 11:03 AM

what do people think of these shoes?

PoBoy321 12-19-2005 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never bee a big fan of those types of shoes. I understand why some people might like them, but I feel like without laces, they just look unfinished.

PoBoy321 12-19-2005 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't patronize me.

thatpfunk 12-19-2005 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]\

lavender is the new pink.

duh.

Blarg 12-19-2005 12:54 PM

I thought ass was the new pink.

tonypaladino 12-19-2005 12:55 PM

If anyone is going to buy shoes or sneakers online, get them at Zappos.com.. They have almost every brand, free shipping and free shipping for returns too. It's the only place I buy shoes now.

Blarg 12-19-2005 01:49 PM

Sounds like a huge pain in the ass. I find the real size of a shoe differs greatly from its stated size from maker to maker. I've got size 12 feet and have fit in anything from size 11 1/2 to size 13 1/2. I might well be mailing shoes back and forth for weeks or months.

jba 12-19-2005 02:17 PM

so I used to hate doing this shopping stuff. for the last year or so whenever my girlfriend is going to the mall she'll ask if I need anything and I'll place an order for a couple long sleeve button shirts or a sweater or a few t-shirts or whatever. then I reimburse upon delivery.

I buy my own jeans, unfortunately you have to try that [censored] on. however this allows me to limit my shopping to like once a year or less.

this is a good system, right?

Blarg 12-19-2005 02:26 PM

If you have the right body type, could be.

I rarely buy stuff either, just usually right after Christmas so I get it cheap. Or if I see a store is going out of business and has a real going out of business sale, not a fake one where everything's still the same price. But at the real crash and burns you can get stuff super cheap.

jba 12-19-2005 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have the right body type, could be.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this directed at my post? if so I don't really get how body type matters? unless you mean a lot of people need to try on shirts? I basically never wear any shirt/sweater that isn't exactly XL, it seems like that size is just all encompassing

BWebb 12-19-2005 02:37 PM

TT, can you give some brand names of the shoes you are describing? I'm not to familiar with expensive shoes.

Blarg 12-19-2005 02:59 PM

Well, I just find manufacturers differ a lot and sizes are only a rough guide at best.

If you have a regularly proportioned body, you probably have a wide safety margin. But if you are especially wide or narrow or tall or short, or long-waisted or short-waisted, you've got to really be there in person or the differences between manufacturers sizes can make a big difference to you.

Me, for instance, my arms are long. If I just go for a simple size like large or extra large(I can often wear either, too), sometimes the sleeves are too short and sometimes they're not. If I buy a dress shirt, where the sleeve length is measured, it can help me zero in on the size, but still there will be variability.

Maybe some guys aren't sure if their bodies have the average proportions, but I know my arms are just a bit long, and it's enough to make me extra careful when buying stuff.

[censored] 12-19-2005 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't reccomend taking the advice of this poster, its great advice for someone who already knows style and is looking to explore, but bad advice for someone like [censored] who is looking to polish up his act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to go with TT on this one. You don't ask a favor from the Godfather only to end up taking the advice of Enzo the baker.

[censored] 12-19-2005 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look comfortable but not me. I could see other people really liking them though and they look good I think.

[censored] 12-19-2005 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Currently it consists of 3 pairs of Levi jeans, about 25 standard black T shirts, 10 standard White T shirts (for summer), a few long sleave black T shirts which wear in conjuction with the short sleave when its cold. A pair of black skechers and a pair of brown skechers and an empire poker zip up fleece.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether anyone has suggested it but you should get 10 standard grey or tan shirts and 10 standard dark blue shirts.

problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, that's not bad at all. Nice work

Blarg 12-19-2005 07:30 PM

Girls don't like grey shirts.

[censored] 12-19-2005 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Girls don't like grey shirts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah, really?

Can we get some calaboration here? Grey is one of my favorite colors and I for sure would have picked up some grey button down shirts.

lapoker17 12-19-2005 09:23 PM

wtf. grey is fine. good winter color. grey cashmere sweater. simple crewneck. simple cuffs. you need to stop listening to people and soliciting more incorrect advice and buy what i told you to [censored]. someone needs to bang these chicks.

Blarg 12-19-2005 09:57 PM

Everyone's got their own ideas. I've talked to plenty of girls who have said they don't like grey and find it dull, and gotten plenty of negative reactions to it. It can make people look, well, grey. Washed out and dull. Professorial or reeking of office wear. Grey is not your go-to color. Most people see that enough at work every day. If you want to catch someone's eye, using the dullest color on the pallete is not the best way to go about it.

I'd suggest getting colors that go with your skin tone and eyes or hair, and that have some personality to them. You don't want to look like a mortician.

Paluka 12-19-2005 10:05 PM

I'll throw down some quick ideas:

Penguin and Ben Sherman both make some nice shirts.
Clothes from The Gap are horrible quality. Unless you are really on a budget you should not buy anything there that you plan on wearing to try and get chicks or impress anyone.
Camper have some really nice shoes.