Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   NYC sucks (rant) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388328)

ACPlayer 12-05-2005 02:59 AM

Re: NYC sucks (rant)

[ QUOTE ]
I swear to god this whole damned city is built around taxing its most productive members of society so that city government can cause a massive wealth transfer to a bunch of poor, shiftless, unemployed, welfare-sucking idiots

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pretty smart. Go where the money is for the cash and use it where the votes are. Darn smart!

I mean only a state with politicians who flee state lines to avoid a vote and a governor ready to invoke terrorism laws to get them back (or some such nonsense) could come up with scheme where they build a system around taxing the poorest in an attempt to cause a wholesale transfer of wealth to a bunch of shiftless, martini drinking, capitalists.

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't this place be run like Texas? The best government is the government that governs least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, in the previous para, texas was just an example. However, that reminds me, isn't Bush from Texas? Of course his handout for the rich was at the federal levels!

Seriously though:
I do suspect that your tax bill in Waco will be less. Your state, city, sales, federal, and other tax bill will be less. Your marginal rates for all will be lower, you will keep more of the money you make. Thats for sure. So, why the heck are you in NYC anyway?

When do we see the last of you? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

bdk3clash 12-05-2005 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have a great eye for the city. You should be a writer.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW I believe this is a monologue from the book and/or movie "25th Hour."

12-05-2005 06:21 AM

ok, this thread is basically dead, but I want to clear up a couple of pieces of misinformation:

First, if you think the public schools are so bad in NYC, you should check out the private ones. They suck too. Why do you think the best schools in NYC (Stuyvesant, Townsend Harris, Bronx Sci, Hunter (which was chosen by WSJ as the best high school in the country, private or public)) are public?

About local taxes, you realize that for all the local taxes you pay, that's less you have to pay in federal taxes? In part because local taxes are so high, blue states receive less money per dollar contributed to federal taxes. You should be much quicker to complain about something like farm subsidies or spending in New Orleans than public schools.

[troll]For the record, I'm not trying to change your mind about this. You're a conservative objectivist, and you're beyond help.[/troll]

Also, Kyle, great quote. Edward Norton = motion picture Jesus.

tonypaladino 12-05-2005 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This city and its taxation schemes are goddamn ridiculous. I swear it is a communist state. Who would think you can't take a left turn on 25th Street while heading northbound on 3rd Avenue? Well now I do, after $180 in penalties, and 6 points on my license.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad you got a ticket. The turn restriction on E25th was put in place because there is a mid-block crosswalk used by Baruch College students to go from building to building. We are already dodging enough traffic as it is to get from class to class with the existing crosstown traffic.

You have nothing to complain about, there are clear signs on 3rd ave indicating no turns and you ignored them or weren't paying attention.

pokerdirty 12-05-2005 10:52 AM

NYC would really suck without poor people

<font color="white"> please don't make me clarify, just think about it </font>

Voltron87 12-05-2005 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First, if you think the public schools are so bad in NYC, you should check out the private ones. They suck too.

[/ QUOTE ]

no they dont, if you choose wisely

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think the best schools in NYC . . . are public?

[/ QUOTE ]

they're not. hunter is the only one of those schools that I would consider really good. the science schools have some huge problems.

OP- so leave.