Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What to do with next 9 months of my life? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386789)

MikeNaked 11-28-2005 04:40 PM

Re: What to do with next 9 months of my life?

Two words: Thai. Land.

Don't waste this nine months. Carpe booty.

Phoenix1010 11-28-2005 04:45 PM

Your parents are mostly right. You can get by without getting an internship freshman year, since most freshmen are working jobs to survive/getting the partying out of their systems. Sophomore and junior year, it is absolutely in your best interest to get some kind of job/internship that will look nice on a resume. Senior year it's pretty much required. Best to learn how to juggle poker/school/job as early as possible. Enjoy your freshman year, go traveling your freshman summer, and then get ready to buckle down.

Georgia Avenue 11-28-2005 04:51 PM

Someone else had the right idea...Sell them on "World Travel"...

Do some research on Australian educational trends, maybe that'll help...When I was traveling through Europe just about every nook and cranny was occupied by a Australian 18-20 year old (often wicked fine lady). Apparently some obscene % of Aussie HS students take a few years before college to sow wild oats and become citizens of the world. This is a +++++ good idea. Tell them: 1. You want to learn about other cultures (like in Monte Carlo/Aviation?) 2. It will make you more responsible once you hit college. 3. It's cheaper than traveling in the US (not really, but what do they know)... 4. KKF will put you up for free in Thailand. 5. You'll get lots of foreign strange.

If none of these brilliant points work, look in to Language or Art study programs in Europe or elsewhere. The parents will think you're learning something while you travel around on breaks and have a good time anyway. Do NOT spend your free months doing crap lab work at NIH or some BS. I went straight to college and ended up dropping out...If I had taken a year off I would have made much better decisions down the road.

MikeNaked 11-28-2005 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently some obscene % of Aussie HS students take a few years before college to sow wild oats and become citizens of the world. This is a +++++ good idea. Tell them: 1. You want to learn about other cultures (like in Monte Carlo/Aviation?) 2. It will make you more responsible once you hit college. 3. It's cheaper than traveling in the US (not really, but what do they know)... 4. KKF will put you up for free in Thailand. 5. You'll get lots of foreign strange.

If none of these brilliant points work, look in to Language or Art study programs in Europe or elsewhere. The parents will think you're learning something while you travel around on breaks and have a good time anyway. Do NOT spend your free months doing crap lab work at NIH or some BS. I went straight to college and ended up dropping out...If I had taken a year off I would have made much better decisions down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

GA's absolutely correct.

I enrolled in a summer program at University of Cambridge and went travelling in SE Asia and Oceania for 7 months as a college student. I had loads of fun, banged lots of women, learned a ton - and, no lie, both experiences look great on a resume.

Don't do something stupid by staying home.

ozyman 11-28-2005 06:21 PM

You are only 18, when I met you at the Crimson challenge I never would have guessed. At that point in your life I wouldnt worry about a career building internship, you will find plenty of those sophmore and junior year of college.

ChipWrecked 11-28-2005 06:26 PM

Thought you'd knocked some chick up....

Evan 11-28-2005 06:34 PM

Go to a strip club.

11-28-2005 06:51 PM

watch pron and jerk it

man 11-28-2005 06:54 PM

that's a pretty great avatar evan.

don't you think that after nine months of letting your mind stagnate, you won't still be willing to be industrious when you get back to school? that transition will be pretty difficult, and f*ing up college is pretty -EV. I also feel that it'd be incredibly boring and sad to do nothing but satisfy personal appetites for nine months.

also, how easy would it be for you to get a meaningful internship? my guess is that as a high school graduate, if you were able to lock something down, you'd be filling coffee cups. and if you were able to lock something substantive down, you'd be working for an incompetant and naive boss (who else would hire a high school grad for substantive work?). maybe not, just a guess. there was a high schooler who worked at my brother's chemistry lab, but I'm not sure how much she did.

instead, why not take some poker money and go traveling? another recommendation is to do volunteer work for a few hours a week. something to make your parents happy and that will look good on your resume.

BadBoyBenny 11-28-2005 07:07 PM

I bet Holden Caulfield would have said the same thing.