Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Country with most lenient tax law towards poker income? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384964)

mattw 11-26-2005 08:02 AM

Re: Country with most lenient tax law towards poker income?

the cost of alcohol and smokes would negate any income tax advantage. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

rsigley 11-26-2005 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you smoke or drink you'll get hit hard with duties there, Expect to pay around £4 ($8) for a pack of 20 ciggies, £2 ($4) for a pint of beer in a pub(more in nightclubs or upmarket places) and £15 ($30) for a bottle of Jack Daniels from a supermarket.

[/ QUOTE ]

those are the same prices as in NJ, not much different

KaneKungFu123 11-26-2005 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you smoke or drink you'll get hit hard with duties there, Expect to pay around £4 ($8) for a pack of 20 ciggies, £2 ($4) for a pint of beer in a pub(more in nightclubs or upmarket places) and £15 ($30) for a bottle of Jack Daniels from a supermarket.

[/ QUOTE ]

those are the same prices as in NJ, not much different

[/ QUOTE ]

But the chicks are so much hotter!!!!

Allinlife 11-26-2005 11:52 AM

out of curiosity, how do they distinguish if poker is your primary source of income? do they look at how much % your poker income is in comparison to your annual income or...what?

excession 11-26-2005 01:18 PM

LOL

I spent a month living in small town Florida once - trust me it was much drearier than the UK even if the sun did shine !

UK has no tax on gambling winnings and you could always just use it as a base whilst you travelled around playing poker - all you need is a laptop + internet connection or even an internet cafe right? Fiji, Oz, New Zealand, Thailand, Estonia, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Prague - all nice places to be [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Not sure if Uncle Sam taxes you when out of the country anyway - I know that unless you spend 90+ days/year in the UK you aren't ever classed as tax resident there

excession 11-26-2005 01:26 PM

Gambling winnings are not taxed at all in UK.
Nor does playing poker count as a trade or job so I can't see that it would even be breaking the terms of a tourist visa. I think there is also a longer working visa available to Canadians but you would need to check that.
Any UK grandparents would entitle you to UK passport anyway - any EU grandparents would probably enable immigration to be honest.

Canadian citizens may be able to get access to free NHS healthcare - just check your travel guidebooks.. access to healthcare in the UK does not depend upon you being a taxpayer. If you are a tourist you might get cheap travel insurance anyway.

Cost of living is fairly high in most of the nicer cities but apart from a tax levied as a contirbution to local services (based on the value of the premises you are living in) averaging about £1000/yr there will be no other mandatory direct tax on you.

11-26-2005 02:38 PM

Grandparents are no longer sufficient to ensure a UK passport/citizenship. The only sure way is for your mother to be a UK citizen. Father is sufficient if he was legally married to your mother at the time of your birth in a jurisdiction recognized by the UK OR if you were born before Oct 1, 1982.

Also, without residency, the EU can bar you from entering on a tourist visa if they feel you're a de facto resident avoiding the immigration process. Once barred it is very, very difficult to reenter any EU country.

ChipFish 11-26-2005 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incorrect.

Gambling income for professional gamblers is taxable income in Canada.

see: Alvin J. Luprypa, Appellant, and Her Majesty The Queen, Respondent 1997 CarswellNat 765, [1997] 3 C.T.C. 2363, 97 D.T.C. 1416

[/ QUOTE ]
Only if this is your "primary" source of income.

excession 11-26-2005 05:34 PM

I doubt the UK immigration service exactly focuses on Candians on tourist visas though ! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

11-26-2005 06:25 PM

Question: If you had citizenship with any other country besides the UK in the European Union, how would that change your ability to reside in the UK? Would I then be able to live there freely? I would assume it would at least make the process much easier..