Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Got stiffed on a tip tonight (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358084)

Dominic 10-15-2005 05:59 AM

Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not our responsibility to pay your bills, nor our fault you make a [censored]*y wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's exactly your fault, whether or not you choose to believe it. The federal government classifies me as a tipped employee, and thus can pay me $2.13/hr, considering tipping servers is customary.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, what cheap-azz place do you work where 7 men can all get steaks for $100???

[/ QUOTE ]

Applebee's. Not exactly a steakhouse.

[ QUOTE ]
And why doesn't your place of business automatically place a tip surcharge on all parties over 7, like most restaurants do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only parties 8+.

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, Sparky....I understand your pissed-off and you work hard - but if it bothers you that much, get a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I make good enough money where I work. How? 99% of people that come in realize that they need to tip the waitstaff. You're apparently the 1% that hasn't been taught proper restaurant etiquette.

Oh, and do you know what happens when someone comes in and doesn't tip, even though the service was good? Our general manager comes out and bans them from the restaurant.

Don't be a tool. Tip your servers.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I never said I don't tip. But a good tip is earned, not a right.

2. Again, it ain't my fault you make $2.13 an hour. How is it my problem? As Mr.Pink once said, "You don't feel it necessary to tip the servers at McDonalds, do you?" Why not?

3. A tool is someone who takes a service job, expecting to be tipped by everyone, and whines when he realizes that some people do not tip. Them's the breaks, Sparky.

2+2 wannabe 10-15-2005 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I make good enough money where I work

[/ QUOTE ]

The shut the [censored] up and stop complaining. Jesus christ people we live in a free market economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

what does a free market economy have to do with anything being talked about? This isn't international trade we're talking about - it's tipping. People use capitalism as an excuse for everything, when it's actually the cause for this problem.

Getting left 0 is brutal - you have to be a super douchebag to tip nothing, or the service has to be utterly non-existent. I'd bet it's the former in this case, as it usually is.

I can't believe how cheap some people are - seriously

Matt Williams 10-15-2005 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd welcome the chance to speak with a manager about why his waitperson was not worth tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a manager at a restaurant. The waitresses made $2.50/hr and depended on tips. As a manager, I would know who my good and bad waitresses were. Most of the time, they were tipped. The only group of people who regularly did not tip were Indian people.(big surprise, huh?) If I knew my server was doing a good job and did not get a tip, I would do a paid out of the register. I would do about 10% of the bill. It made my servers happy.
I've noticed that when people don't leave a tip, it's usually because of bad service like not getting drinks on time, food being cold and late, not having napkins on the table. That's a big one, not having napkins. People go apeshit if they don't have enough napkins. Another reason is not having toys or crayons for kids to play with. Also, a lot of times with big parties, people assume someone else got the tip when in reality no one did.
BTW- For those of you who don't think tipping is part of the bill, STFU. Servers don't get a paycheck. They have to declare how much money they rang up and it gets taxed out of the paycheck. Most paychecks are $0.00. You have to work about 50 hours a week to get a check over $5.00. If the service is so bad you don't think a tip is worthy, you should be complaining to the manager anyway. It pisses me off when people who have never worked in the food service industry criticize those who do. Ask anyone who has spent a day serving food and they will tell you how hard it is.

goofball 10-15-2005 06:12 AM

i base my tipping policy on courtesy and efficiency. I tip all the time. I've probably competely not tipped a server 2-3 times ever, and I certainly reserve the right to do that if, like in those cases, they really suck. Just because I think a server is being a retard by getting all bent out of shape fro lack of tip doesn't mean I don't tip myself.

The free market is totally relevant. He agreed to do a job based on an agreed upon wage and other conditions. If he feels this isn't enough his recourse is to leave. That's a free market economy.

Nick B. 10-15-2005 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW- For those of you who don't think tipping is part of the bill, STFU. Servers don't get a paycheck. They have to declare how much money they rang up and it gets taxed out of the paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, no [censored]! So that means if i don't leave a tip, that I help the waiter save on taxes!

Roybert 10-15-2005 06:25 AM

Have you ever waited before?

TheTROLL 10-15-2005 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I make good enough money where I work.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet here you are whining about someone not tipping. The idea that you're entitled to a gratuity is hilarious; while I do understand that it's customary there, YOU need to understand that "customary" is very different from "mandatory". Someone who studies [card game] shouldn't need variance explained to them.

As suggested elsewhere, get a proper job or just swallow it. Stop whining, you're only upsetting yourself.

Matt Williams 10-15-2005 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW- For those of you who don't think tipping is part of the bill, STFU. Servers don't get a paycheck. They have to declare how much money they rang up and it gets taxed out of the paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, no [censored]! So that means if i don't leave a tip, that I help the waiter save on taxes!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he pays taxes. When you ring in a meal, it gets tallied. So lets say that at the end of the work week, you have $1000 in meals. You have to declare at least 8% or the IRS comes looking for you. So that means you need to declare at least $80 in tips. Whether or not you get tipped, you need to declare $80. So when you are a cheap bastard and don't tip, you cost your server money.
BTW-If you continually only declare 8%, the IRS WILL come looking for you. Most do 10%.

Roybert 10-15-2005 06:32 AM

Please define a 'proper' job. You know, I mean by your standards.

Blarg 10-15-2005 06:33 AM

I've done it all. My family has owned restaurants, and I've worked in theirs and others, as wait staff, cashier, dishwasher, food prep, etc. And worked in lots of other customer service jobs too.

I always approach the customer positively and do my best no matter how trying it is. I never blame customers for my moods, and I never keep them in the dark as to why anything might be going wrong or when they should expect their meal, etc. I try to make them feel at home, but a little better. I never feel the customer is there for me; I feel I represent the restaurant on the one hand and my own good standards on the other. If I do my job well, both will be well represented. If I'm unwilling to do the job well, I definitely should be fired or quit ASAP. The customer has nothing to do with any of that.

You meet all kinds. And unless you're a lousy employee, you give good service to all kinds. Unless they're lousy customers, they give you a good tip back. Sometimes you won't get tipped. That's life. You do your job and hope for the best -- and try to earn it.

What I usually see in discussions like this is the amazing sense of entitlement so many waitpersons have. You don't have to know many people to get endless earfuls of stories about bad service, if you ask. Bad service is not uncommon. Mediocre service is usually the best you can hope for unless you go to a more expensive place, and even then, you're still just hoping, and can expect to be waited on better if your clothes are more expensive and less if they're not.

I've been on both sides of the fence plenty, and am actually a very good tipper whenever possible. But it's not uncommon that wait staff make giving a good tip simply impossible, and even ruin the meal. Wait staff can be as much of an advertisement for the place as the food itself, and I'm sure, as I noted in another post, that many restaurants lose as many customers over the service as they do over the food. One or two bad experiences and I'm outta there, and my huge loyalty to places I like and normally great tipping is just something that never got a chance to happen.

Frankly, I feel more sorry for the owners in some respects than for the wait staff when a dining experience has gone wrong. And of course for the customers, who paid restaurant prices for an unpleasant meal.