Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Pink Floyd Album (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=350965)

Dave G. 10-05-2005 05:13 PM

Re: Best Pink Floyd Album

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Piper at the Gates of Dawn. This is their most underappreciated album. IMO it's their 2nd best, right after DSOTM. Also, I really have no idea what the fuss over Animals is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great album too, but I don't think it's on the same level as their 70s stuff. The main difference is the lyrics, which have reason, purpose and power in their best albums, whereas on Piper, the lyrics are basically just manifestations of way too much acid dropped. It's still a great album, but not one that I'd put above their 70s masterpieces.

Animals is super.

AngryCola 10-05-2005 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' was worse (don't you hate the 80s?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's probably the second worst Floyd album, IMO. But it's not as bad as the Final Cut for a couple of reasons.

The Final Cut is bland. They might as well have called it "The Wall: Part 2 1/2." Never before had I heard a Floyd album that was just plain boring. Also, that was the album in which Roger Waters finally took more control than anyone else was comfortable with. Rick Wright (keyboard) wasn't even on Final Cut due to all that business.

Momentary Lapse of Reason was the first album post-Waters, and it was thankfully less bland than The Final Cut. There are a couple of decent songs on MLoR, like Sorrow and On The Turning Away (guilty pleasure song for me), but it clearly wasn't their best effort.

newhizzle 10-05-2005 05:22 PM

very close between wish you were here and dark side of the moon, i voted dark side, the wall isnt too far behind, if we went by meaning id go with the wall, but music, one of the 2 i mentioned

cwsiggy 10-05-2005 05:27 PM

The guy is my avatar hates Final Cut. He thinks DSOTM, but I like them all depending on the mood! Nothing beats a good Careful With that Axe Eugene though.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...--C1008610.jpg

CORed 10-05-2005 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone that doesn't pick DSOTM is just trying to be cool and different b/c that is the standard. But in reality, it's a standard for a reason, b/c it's one of the best albums of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in college, this was the album that everybody had (yes, I'm an old fart, and when I say album, I mean the big black vinyl thing). Nonetheless, I never got tired of it. DSOTM is also the best album ever created for the purpose of testing a stereo.

MonkeeMan 10-05-2005 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nonetheless, I never got tired of it. DSOTM is also the best album ever created for the purpose of testing a stereo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Are You Experienced? a little better, but I'm older I think.

10-05-2005 06:55 PM

On the drive home from work today the local classic rock station was "gettin' off at five" with Pink Floyd. I started thinking about which was my favorite PF album, then I find this post when i get home. Talk about a coincedence(sp?). Maybe I should watch the Wizard of Oz tonite.

P.S. It was a toss up between WYWH and DSOTM....voted WYWH

Matt Flynn 10-05-2005 06:56 PM

gotta go with Wish over Dark Side of the Moon, but it's a matter of taste. The Final Cut does not belong in the poll and should not be claimed by the band. A Momentary Lapse of Reason was weak but i had my best interaction with a Boston cop ever at that concert and to this day don't know what the guy in front of me was smoking but it went well with the music and the big pink pig, and so i am still fond of that album.

Eurotrash 10-05-2005 06:57 PM

put me down for Dark Side of teh Moon

10-05-2005 06:59 PM

Oh by the way, which one's Pink?