Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   satellite radio (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=342916)

benza13 09-24-2005 07:05 PM

Re: satellite radio

[ QUOTE ]
I paid $95 for the year. Sirius

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you get that price, paying for the year with Sirius I have paid ~$125 each of the last two years I've had it and I am about to pay again, and I would love to pay less. (looking back I clearly should have just done the lifetime thing).

Slacker13 09-24-2005 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How'd you get that price, paying for the year with Sirius I have paid ~$125 each of the last two years

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, i dont know. Maybe it was a promotion at the time. I just assumed that's what it always was. My subscription should be running out shortly so maybe i have to pay $125 this time.

lighterjobs 09-24-2005 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How'd you get that price, paying for the year with Sirius I have paid ~$125 each of the last two years I've had it and I am about to pay again, and I would love to pay less. (looking back I clearly should have just done the lifetime thing).

[/ QUOTE ]

the salesman who was telling me about it said if you pay the $12.95 six months in advance you get a really good rebate.

jstnrgrs 09-24-2005 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have Sirius. I've never listened to XM, so I can't help you choose which is better.

But Sirius has The Wiseguy Show (bunch of old Italian guys, swearing and breaking each other's balls), which is priceless. I often go out for drives to nowhere on Wednesdays, just to listen to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which brings up my question about satellite radio. Can you get it in your hous without having to install an exterior antenna (like with a portable boom box, or walk man or something)?

dcasper70 09-24-2005 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is in better financial shape

[/ QUOTE ]
what does that have to do with anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

you still have those Betamax cassettes, don't you???

youtalkfunny 09-25-2005 04:59 AM

I know nothing about XM, this is about Sirius:

Yes, they sell a kit for your house. You pop the receiver out of the docking system in your car, bring it in, and pop it into the docking system in your house. The receiver doesn't play anything; it receives the signal, then sends it (wirelessly) to your radio.

I don't have a decent stereo system in my house, so I recently bought the boombox. It comes with an antenna that's about the size of your computer's mouse, and a very long wire connecting it to the boombox.

The instructions say that if you live in a rural area, you probably need to mount it on the roof; if you close to a big city, then you can probably get away with leaving it inside, near a window; if you're IN a big city, you may not need to worry about the window.

I'm near a big city, but I guess not near enough to keep the signal 100% (or the city isn't big enough for them to feel the need to add repeaters here), so I put my antenna on the roof. It's not like a tv dish, where you need to be Galileo to figure out which way to point it. Just knock a few nails into your shingles, and the antenna base will slide onto them.

If you ever want to take your boombox outdoors, just slide the antenna off the nails, and it mounts onto the boombox (it runs on 8 D-size batteries, if you're not near a plug).

I was disappointed to see the boombox (at least the model I got at WalMart) has no bass/treble/anything controls. Just a on/off/volume knob, and a headphone jack in the front. I don't know if other boombox models are available.

BTW, The Wiseguys Show is hosted by Vinny "Big Pussy" Pastore, and produced by Little Steven van Zandt (Silvio). This week, Big Pussy was off, so the show was guest-hosted by Frankie "Billy Bats" Vincent, and they broadcast live from the San Gennaro Feast on Mulberry Street in NYC. The show is on Wednesdays, and re-broadcast on Sat and Sun.

You can get a free three-day trial at Sirius-dot-com. The Wiseguys is rebroadcast today (Sunday) from 4-7 PM EDT--but they couldn't swear this week, because they had speakers set up at the feast.

(I just went the Sirius website, to get the times for the Wiseguys, and I was greeted by a big banner: NASCAR moves to Sirius in 2007. This is awesome. I'm just now becoming a NASCAR fan. I guess I've lived in Mississippi too long.)

dcasper70 09-25-2005 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know nothing about XM, this is about Sirius:

Yes, they sell a kit for your house. You pop the receiver out of the docking system in your car, bring it in, and pop it into the docking system in your house. The receiver doesn't play anything; it receives the signal, then sends it (wirelessly) to your radio.

I don't have a decent stereo system in my house, so I recently bought the boombox. It comes with an antenna that's about the size of your computer's mouse, and a very long wire connecting it to the boombox.

The instructions say that if you live in a rural area, you probably need to mount it on the roof; if you close to a big city, then you can probably get away with leaving it inside, near a window; if you're IN a big city, you may not need to worry about the window.

I'm near a big city, but I guess not near enough to keep the signal 100% (or the city isn't big enough for them to feel the need to add repeaters here), so I put my antenna on the roof. It's not like a tv dish, where you need to be Galileo to figure out which way to point it. Just knock a few nails into your shingles, and the antenna base will slide onto them.

If you ever want to take your boombox outdoors, just slide the antenna off the nails, and it mounts onto the boombox (it runs on 8 D-size batteries, if you're not near a plug).

I was disappointed to see the boombox (at least the model I got at WalMart) has no bass/treble/anything controls. Just a on/off/volume knob, and a headphone jack in the front. I don't know if other boombox models are available.

[/ QUOTE ]

aside from minor detais, this is true for XM as well

dcasper70 09-25-2005 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NASCAR moves to Sirius in 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another reason to pick XM. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]