Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Wired Kings, time to fold? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=326592)

homebrewer 08-31-2005 02:23 PM

Re: Wired Kings, time to fold?

[ QUOTE ]

I think I get more negative reinforcement from being drawn out on than I get positive reinforcement from winning the occasionial big pot. What do you think? Can it be corrected?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey Buccaneer,
Not a long-time poster, but I don't think you should worry so much.

As has been stated, most of us ARE risk-averse. Going a bit further. On our own internal metric, a monetary loss is likely to be perceived as greater than the same monetary gain. So, WINNING $50 might boost your mood 10BBs on your "Poker Happiness Scale". But, LOSING $50 might be bring down your Happiness score the equivalent of 15BBs.

That's ok. We tend not to enjoy those losses. I don't think we should ever enjoy them. But, we can try to put them in perspective. We all struggle with this issue at the lower limits. The better players have conquered this problem. That is, logic has trounced the psychological tendency to go weak tight in the face of those magical suckouts that are so devastating to those of use who haven't quite figured it out yet. I think the others have offered some great ideas on working through this. Don't give it up yet.

Buccaneer 08-31-2005 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey. Poker is not easy. People (especially around here) seem to give the impression that it is. It is not. It takes thought, work, discipline, time, suffering, and work. And time and suffering too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew that it was hard work but I did not realize the suffering that would be involved.

Buccaneer 08-31-2005 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take a break, dude.

From the OP and this post it's clear (at least to me, and so very things are clear to me that it makes me happy when I find one) that you're a) a little burned out, and b) information overloaded. So, here's what you do:

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to take your advice and give up poker for a week. Actually I am going to spend time with the wife and kids and do somethings around the house and drink some beer. No cards, no internet, no forums, and no books.

It is funny, I started playing to learn some control. I seem to have kicked the control thing while playing but in all honesty I find myself going on tilt as I post hands, go figure!

Best of luck to you guys.

08-31-2005 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take a look at the play on this hand please. I did not raise preflop because this tends to make table go wild and cap every bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to say it, but this definitely doesn't justify calling PF. See, this is what perpetuates bad streaks: you change your style of play according to the results, and you end up worse than where you were.

Raising PF here would've been MONSTER. Being UTG+1 would've knocked a lot of ppl out of this hand--opponents are much less likely to call $1 with a marginal hand than $.50.

Also, you say once everyone called the board on the turn you "knew" they had a T the first time around. That's fine. This hand normally won't play out like this, and again, you're being results oriented. If your read tells you someone has a T, don't open the river with a bet.

As for your lines...I dunno. Once that T hits on the river, and you open with that bet and get five callers, something's up. Thus, I'm doubting the bet on the river.

Finally, with a flop like this, Villain did NOT play you well. He played his two pair like a chump--he should've raised you to knock straight draws out of the hand and increase value.

-AC