Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A hand I really liked... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=323227)

sthief09 08-26-2005 03:09 PM

Re: A hand I really liked...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smaller hearts absolutely raise the flop on the button with only one player between him and Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

the flop action states "a caller or two," which is actually relevant here. with only 1 caller between him and dave, don't you think small hearts might go for jasont's overcall rather than a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, no one ever just calls with hearts there

also, while 98 makes some sense, it would be a really crappy flop call getting around 7-1 with iffy pair outs and a flush draw out

gaming_mouse 08-26-2005 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check-raising missed hearts would be a great move. they'll call a bet anyway, so there's no good in betting. given that you cehck, you can fold or raise, but raising could work because it's highly unlikely bakku has much of anything. I could see him doing one of those things where he bets, gets check-raised and instamucks because he's "obviously" beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

was this a counterargument to my claim that bakku would not pay off a c/r, or an argument for it? i couldn't figure out what you were responding to, though i agree with what you say...

sthief09 08-26-2005 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's not dumb. Which means he probably knows what your doing and checks behind unless you're behind. It seems to me from his perspective you'd fire the last barrel on the river with most missed draws enough that he has to call with a small pair here. If he has a hand that can't win it's possible he bets...but not as possible as if he were dumb and unaware of this play. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe but I don't think he even needs to think about this. better hands are calling and worse hands are folding. a 6 could maybe find a bet.

sthief09 08-26-2005 03:12 PM

neither. it popped into my head so I wrote it. if I were him I'd be paying off a c/r with any hand I bet with.

gaming_mouse 08-26-2005 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

nope, no one ever just calls with hearts there

[/ QUOTE ]

i do... and when i do it's usually against people who are aggressive enough to defend against a free card play, like dave.

your pot equity is about equal to the pot odds you are getting from 2 players calling your raise. i don't get why you think it's so unlikley?

sthief09 08-26-2005 03:15 PM

he has some fold equity in there too

baronzeus 08-26-2005 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the river check screams missed hearts and that he'll bet any hand he has. bukkake ain't D-U-M and there ain't a stereo in sight.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would he bet here unless he thinks you'll call with missed hearts? there's just no point.

gaming_mouse 08-26-2005 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm finding you very cryptic today. are you saying that the reason (or another reason) to always raise the flop there is so that you can fold people out with bets on the turn or river?

chief444 08-26-2005 03:18 PM

Yeah. I agree Josh. I can see sooo many more hands here that I believe call a bet than hands that either value bet or bluff when checked to.

sthief09 08-26-2005 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm finding you very cryptic today. are you saying that the reason (or another reason) to always raise the flop there is so that you can fold people out with bets on the turn or river?

[/ QUOTE ]

two separate things. first I said that everyone raises hearts there. you don't, so not everyone, but I think it's safe to assume that hearts raise the flop most of the time. then I said another reason to raise the flop is because you might take the pot down unimproved. I never said anything about a free card. that depends on the turn card and action. but right now you can make a break-even raise for the minimal cost of getting jason to fold a hand he checked from EP but will call with, which is near none, with the advantage of giving you some leverage that might get you the pot.