Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   How can watching the pros on TV make a small stakes player better? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=296817)

NYCNative 07-22-2005 06:31 PM

Re: How can watching the pros on TV make a small stakes player better?

[ QUOTE ]
I akin it to trying to be a doctor by watching CSI and ER.

[/ QUOTE ]I just realized the fallacy in this analogy. You portray it like someone with zero medical training watching a drama about doctors cannot magically be a doctor. This is unsurprising but the analogy falls apart unless we are saying "can someone who has never played poker before learn from watching the pros?"

Small stakes poker may not be in the same league as the pros but it is still poker experience.

Put it another way: Do I think that someone in their second year of medical school might be able to watch a well-researched TV show pertaining to medical issues and possibly pick up something that would help them down the road (i.e. learn something related to his job)?

Yeah, I kinda think it's quite possible.

Sure I read all of the books and I post in the non-gossip forums here quite a bit. But I can say that watching the pros has helped me become better in a few key ways. One of which is post-flop play, but also I have learned a lot about semi-bluffing watching televised poker since they seem to televise those kind of plays a disproportionate amount of the time.

I'm smart enough to realize that not every move they make will work against the calling station to my left or the maniac to his left or the fish to his left. I know that none of them will make Helmuthian laydowns.

But watching them calculate implied odds, look for tells in betting patterns, listening to them talk to try and extract information - yeah, I think I can apply all of those things to the home games I play in.

In fact, I have.

NYCNative 07-22-2005 06:34 PM

With replies that are pointlessly incomplete, you won't be missed. If you need, I can draw you a map on how what you posted isn't wnat was said in its entirety.

TM1212 07-22-2005 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I look at your post count and how long you have been here and it simply reinforces the worthlessness of the post count.

[/ QUOTE ]I see the same with you: You can be arrogant and overly assumptive with a paltry 250 posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
... i think u made my point... u have 800 plus posts in 2 months almost all about poker on tv... didnt mean to insult you

rheaume 07-22-2005 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I look at your post count and how long you have been here and it simply reinforces the worthlessness of the post count.

[/ QUOTE ]I see the same with you: You can be arrogant and overly assumptive with a paltry 250 posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. way to channel bill fillmaff.

TM1212 07-22-2005 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watching TV for poker strategy is unwise IMHO.

I akin it to trying to be a doctor by watching CSI and ER.

Why? Too many details are left out.

Read some GOOD books and play more is they way .

Wasting time on this forum: NOT HELPFUL. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

>TW<

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what i was saying.. but nicer

NYCNative 07-22-2005 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]... i think u made my point... u have 800 plus posts in 2 months almost all about poker on tv... didnt mean to insult you

[/ QUOTE ]See, what confused me is that most of my posts have been in other forums - OTT, Small Stakes and a few others. Sorry if I misunderstood. Apologies.