Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Financial advice for young and wealthy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295251)

liucipher 07-18-2005 04:33 PM

Re: Financial advice for young and wealthy

Unconventional Success by David Swensen

Don't want to plug my boss's book, because it's a horrendously painful read (also it's not out yet). I read a proof and it was fairly smart though. Maybe worth a borrow from the library and a quick skim.

No offense to A_PLUS, but I have negative trust of wealth management people. In this case there's not much moral hazard/incentive problems, but frankly I'm less than impressed with the level of knowledge from private bankers.

Best of luck getting these folks to invest well A_PLUS. I can only imagine how painful the discipline of asset allocation is going to be to a bunch of people who can't even allocate their time evenly between SNGs and school.

Khern 07-18-2005 04:39 PM

protection for who?

I can make my own decisions. I don't need the government making them for me.

I can understand a case for certain types of regulation that make accurate information available(to prevent fraud, and allow informed decisions), but not regulation that restricts consensual action. When this type of force is introduced, all sorts of people come forward to manipulate the system for their own good.

Who is to protect us from the regulators?

John

A_PLUS 07-18-2005 04:42 PM

No offense to liucipher, but I have negative trust of people who hijack my thread to pimp their bosses book [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I am kidding, from what I saw in the preview, that book would be on a short list of financial books that I would endorse.

One of my planned topics is "the hidden fees of common investment vehicles".

This is going to be pretty far from a 'typical' money managment seminar. I would love to have you on the list, as you sound like you are knowledgable and cocky (which is a good combo IMO).

citanul 07-18-2005 04:43 PM

please have this discussion elsewhere. preferably in the politics forum or something.

there are very good reasons to protect people from things using the government, in my opinion. but that's my opinion. you're entitled to as much libertarianism as you want, but really there's no reason to be debating whether or not there should exist a classification "qualified investor" in this thread.

citanul

Wu36 07-18-2005 04:46 PM

Great idea, pm sent.

Freudian 07-18-2005 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What's in it for me? I would appreciate if anyone who decides to take me up on the offer, would be willing to provide me with a little coaching. Whatever you feel like doing is fine with me, review a few HHs, general lessons, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. Should be beneficial for both parties.

ForumBot 07-18-2005 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In between swimming pool filled with Crystal, and a robot....a female robot

[/ QUOTE ]

Breasts = 1qt.oil cans w/ inverted funnels ? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Genitalia = Bear Trap [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

A_PLUS 07-18-2005 04:53 PM

Also, anyone with investment experience, I appreciate any help I can get. I will never claim to know it all, so speak up!

Khern 07-18-2005 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please have this discussion elsewhere. preferably in the politics forum or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. I figured the original post was rather off topic to start with and was tolerated, but I didn't mean to distract too much.

-John

gildwulf 07-18-2005 05:33 PM

How can the original post be off topic?