Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   D'Agostino's antics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=286552)

drewjustdrew 07-05-2005 02:35 PM

Re: D\'Agostino\'s antics

[ QUOTE ]
This play gets worse and worse every time you use it, as calling standards become thinner. It is passable as a setup play for a later push with a decent hand, however. That is.. if you like sacrificing the value of your better hands by having your opponent fold to your monstrous bet. So I'll take that back, it's worthless there, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you realized this is not a good set up play. A set up play would risk smaller stakes now for larger stakes later.

NYCNative 07-05-2005 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The point is that Corkins was unlucky that Dags had TT.

[/ QUOTE ]You keep saying that. I ask again - are Tens a premium hand? I think they're a very good hand and one I love to push all of my chips in with, but I am less enthused to call off my chips with it. And I'm generally not known as a tight ass.

[ QUOTE ]
The blinds were not chicken feed at this point. I don't have the exact number in front of me, but they were pretty large.

[/ QUOTE ]I remember Norman Chad saying that he could have made a standard raise to win the blinds there and not rish his whole tournament on a crap hand. Whatever the blinds were, I doubt the game had reached the level of push-fold.

Sorry, I cannot be convinced. If D'Ag calls with Tens really quickly, his calling standards are fairly loose which makes that a really risky play.

You say that it's a quality play. I agree that it is - READ DEPENDENT. And the read I saw was that D'Ag would play big pots with less than premium hands. His call with the Tens was indicative of this. A lot of pros do not make that call or at least do a lot of anguished thinking. D'Ag did it immediately. Makes me think he would have called it with a lot worse, don't you think?

45suited 07-05-2005 02:40 PM

Norman Chad said it was a bad play. I stand corrected.

Ilovephysics 07-05-2005 02:44 PM

This really shouldn't be that tough to figure out. Can someone post/repost the hands, blinds, positions, etc...

45suited 07-05-2005 02:46 PM

But to answer your question, Dags had made calls as the huge chip leader where he could afford to gamble. He had Corkins covered by ONE chip at the time Corkins pushed.

The whole point of pushing is that the VAST majority of the time, Dags doesn't even have a hand that requires any thought before an auto-muck.

The same group of guys that are all into blind stealing suddenly want to rag on Corkins for making a play that 90% of the time will win substantial blinds. That's the man's style for crying out loud.

Think about it in terms of an SNG. You know that a 2+2er is on your right. Just because he open pushes every time from the SB doesn't mean that, if he is the only guy at the table who can cripple you, you're going to call when you wake up with KJ or AT or whatever.

NYCNative 07-05-2005 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Norman Chad said it was a bad play. I stand corrected.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, that's all I said. Hoyt is having trouble sitting with you so far up his ass, by the way.

Toro 07-05-2005 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously it works very well for him, it was just bad luck that he ran into TT. Give him credit for having the stones to play the way he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baloney. HUGE preflop overbet steals are bad, period. It's not an issue of "stones". Betting 650,000 to steal the blinds is garbage. Running into TT is not bad luck, in fact the precise reason this play is so bad is because the BB will occasionally have TT-AA and you will lose so much these times that you won't make up for it by successfully stealing the vast majority of the time. It just plain sucks, no matter of opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy must be the ultimate luckbox. He made the same play against me at the Foxwoods WPT, raising to 40K with 1K BB. I called my whole 38K stack with QQ to his 48s and he flopped the flush.

I was boiling inside but just shook his hand and left the table.

45suited 07-05-2005 02:57 PM

I didn't say that it was the greatest play ever, just that you guys can't say that it was horrible, either.

For everyone who can so smugly say with total certainty that the play was terrible, I have one question for you:

Would you want Hoyt Corkins sitting directly to your right raping your BB all day? Let's see you make those "easy" calls for all your chips.

NYCNative 07-05-2005 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think about it in terms of an SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]Okay, how's this: In a SNG, I generally will make my steal attempts with hands that I don't positively HATE to get called. And I need a big hand to try and take the blinds from someone who I believe will make loose/spite calls.

Seems to me that Corkins did the opposite of me on both respects.

That's not to say that he's not a wonderful player who can beat the pants off of me every day and twice on Sunday. But he made a poor play there.

Graig Nettles was my favorite baseball player when I was growing up. He was a great fielder. But he still committed errors. So did Corkins. Why is this difficult to comprehend?

TheMainEvent 07-05-2005 03:00 PM

IIRC:

Blinds 10K-20K Ante ?

SB is second chip leader Hoyt pushes for 650K from small blind with 87o
BB is chip leader Dags with ~675K