Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Players who don't show their cards on the river (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=273336)

snakehead 06-15-2005 05:43 PM

Re: Players who don\'t show their cards on the river

actually, you're the one slowing down the game. oncs they call their hand, turn yours up if you have them beat. that way, we can all play another one more quickly.

Stellastarr 06-16-2005 03:15 AM

He wants to "slowroll" you!

csuf_gambler 06-16-2005 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just waited and when he tried to muck, I said to the dealer that I wanted to see his cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you fuking serious?

TomCollins 06-17-2005 04:24 PM

You are wrong, but I haven't read the rest of the post, so I might not be the first to tell you.

WillyTrailer 06-17-2005 07:03 PM

I agree with a lot of the posters here that frequently insisting on this when you are or even aren't in the hand may not be so cool if it's a really weak game. Such a player has trash and doesn't want to be embarassed. Don't do things to discourage him from playing trash or badly.

On the other hand, when the dealer is not running the game properly or enforcing rules correctly you may want to quietly and politely mention something to him or the pit-boss/floor-man. They'll be happy to make sure the dealers are following the rules and keeping the game moving as quickly as possible.

just a thought...I have to do this thing somewhat regularly as the dealers (and even the pit) where I play are absolutely terrible and don't even know the rules.

-WT

tazshort 06-18-2005 03:49 PM

If you are the caller, make the statement while you are putting your chips in that you are calling just to see the hand.

AKQJ10 06-18-2005 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And on a different already-mentioned topic, even though I trust the consensus here that insisting to look at the callers hand is only intended as an anti-collusion measure, I've yet to find anyone at a low-limit table that agrees with this (including dealers). Everyone and his brother asks to see calling hands with impunity. Presumably poker knowledge is better at the higher limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's one of my pet peeves. I think that if someone asks to see a hand, they should be required to explain why they think the player is cheating. And this requirement should be clearly stated in the room's rules. Anyone who asks to see a hand just to get a line on someone else's play should be firmly and publicly corrected.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, man.... just got back from Foxwoods, where (in addition to having an outrageously lucky day at everysingle one of the different low-limit/low-buyin poker games) I managed to get an entire 1-3 stud table ready to lynch me when I suggested that the man who asked to see my calling hand was implicitly accusing me of collusion whether he realized it or not. Don't ever, EVER try to explain the rationale for this rule to a low-limit table, especially not a stud table. Get up and leave if you must, but don't bother explaining it, because you'll only make enemies.

That said, I did get "Spike" (one of the veteran floors) to acknowledge that even though he didn't think collusion had anything to do with the rule, he wouldn't allow them to keep seeing hands several times in a day. So that's a bright spot, I guess.

TripleH68 06-18-2005 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a pet peeve.

I HATE it when people bet the river, and then slow down the game by saying stuff like, "Can you beat a queen?" Etc.

1) I don't like them slowing down the game.
2) When they bet and they're called I think I have "the right" to see it.

How do I discourage my opponents from doing this without alienating myself?

[/ QUOTE ]

I HATE THIS ALSO. However it does not bother me that much only because the players who do this usually stink.

There are times when heads up when I will call a river bet and show first. I do this against LAGs who do not like to be forced to show down bluffs or mediocre holdings like third pair. If it makes the guy feel better not to show, fine with me. So long as I take the pot.