Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Heads Up SNGs hourly earning better than full? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=208471)

raptor517 04-05-2005 03:15 PM

Re: Heads Up SNGs hourly earning better than full?

i really like this post. it breaks down for everyone why heads up play cant possibly be more profitable than a multitabler playing 10 person sngs. you actually have to THINK. in a sng, you can play 8 tables and nearly everything is automatic. very rarely will you find yourself in a situation where you have to spend more than 4 seconds deciding what to do.

constantly sitting there figuring out what the best play is can be draining. the beauty of sngs is that you can play all day and still feel fine because it requires very little thought process if you have been playing them long enough. in a heads up game, if you are not constantly trying to outplay your opponent, you wont be successful. holla

meow_meow 04-06-2005 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What kind of a sample size would be required to convince you otherwise?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you can win 150 out of 200 in the 21s, i'll put a lifesize statue of you up on the beach this summer.

[ QUOTE ]
further, playing the 4-player winner-takes-all matches is even more profitable - if you assume the (supposedly) unattainable winrate of 75% per match, the profit per match looks like $13.7

[/ QUOTE ]

this is utterly ridiculous. the problem with your heads up idea is thinking that you could win 75% when an average dude could win 50%. but to win 75% when the average player wins 25% (in the 4man case)? utterly ridiculous...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstand me. My assumptions for the 4 way are that you can still win 75% the HU matches, not 75% of the touneys.
Anyway, I'll get back to you about the statue thing. It doesn't have to be bronze or anything, plaster will do. One request: if it is going to be a naked statue, can we add an inch or two where it counts? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

reubenf 04-06-2005 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My assumptions for the 4 way are that you can still win 75% the HU matches, not 75% of the touneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you justify that you win the second match as often as the first?

Peter Chabot 04-06-2005 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you misunderstand me. My assumptions for the 4 way are that you can still win 75% the HU matches, not 75% of the touneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did misunderstand you. sorry.

your decision on statue 'dimensions'. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

meow_meow 04-07-2005 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My assumptions for the 4 way are that you can still win 75% the HU matches, not 75% of the touneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you justify that you win the second match as often as the first?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I don't think there is a whole lot of variation is the skill level of people who play these things. Add to that the fact that even if player A in the other match is slightly better than player B, B still beats A probably 40% of the time (i.e. the difference between A and B is effectively halved for match 2), and the assumption is not far wrong.