Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   suited ace in middle position (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=204805)

lmbree 03-01-2005 11:53 AM

Re: suited ace in middle position

I agree with you guys. I need to stop doing this. And yes, I would really wish I bet the turn. I always feel a little on edge about taking my free card or pushing the turn unimproved on my draws. I really need to work on this part of my game.

QTip 03-01-2005 11:56 AM

It might help to reread the riverplay section of SSHE. Betting a marginal hand here would be good, but a poor hand..there's not much to bet about.

aas 03-01-2005 12:07 PM

I think raising and calling are both +EV. In this situation, since you don't really need to clear your A outs (you'll have two pair), I would call.

Raising is still ok, for the reasons already stated by others: Free card, buying the button.

belloc 03-01-2005 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the only reason I didn't mind the flop raise here was because it got the free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are the two reasons I bet this turn instead of taking the free card:

1. The turn card is an undercard to our pair. Sure, we only have bottom pair, but a turn bet might convince QT or similar that we really have that J. Or it might convince a passive 66-99 that we have the T or J. If that turn is anything bigger than our 5, I most certainly take the free card.

2. If we check the turn, one or the other player will bet the river a good percentage of the time (read-dependent of course). I think I'd rather see the showdown for one bet than to chance not seeing it, especially (from #1) if we can see it against one opponent instead of two.

Is the concern that our pair is small? If so, what if you have AT and you're faced with the same turn decision. Do you bet that?

What if we're faced with the same action up to the turn and the board is 5 6 J and we still have A5? Take the free card? What if we have A6 instead? What is your threshold hand for not taking the free card here and why (all other things being equal)?

QTip 03-01-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the concern that our pair is small? If so, what if you have AT and you're faced with the same turn decision. Do you bet that?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a huge difference here between bottom pair and middle pair on this board. I put one in a poor hand category and one in a marginal hand category. Yes, I bet that turn.

chief444 03-01-2005 12:31 PM

If I called the flop and the turn checked to me I would bet. I just don't like the flop raise if you plan to bet the turn. I would both raise the flop and bet the turn with AT. I may bet the river as well depending on the opponents.