Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Simple Common Tournament Situation (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=139174)

SossMan 10-22-2004 04:19 PM

Re: Simple Common Tournament Situation

[ QUOTE ]
Yes the "not just math" comment is my suggestiong that David is basing the answer on strictly math. As I believe he does in these type posts 90% of the time. Lack of creativity and deeper thought of conditions and players is a weakness in his posts. IMO. It isnt always "JUST MATH". But I do love the math he brings to the plate also!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the proper variables, it is ONLY math. I assume that accurately appraising those variables is the NON-MATH skill which you speak of.
FWIW, I'm probably mucking here on a normal loosish table.

-SossMan

FrankLu99 10-22-2004 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are the best player at your table but there are no live ones there.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is never common to me when I play
I would have to fold on this 1. Maybe thats why I am never the best at the table!

West 10-22-2004 04:28 PM

I think I've gotta be all in here.

West 10-22-2004 04:33 PM

If half the field is gone and everyone started with $2000, the average stack is $4000.

West 10-22-2004 04:40 PM

Your hand is a favorite over smaller pairs - only Jacks or higher is a real problem.

italianstang 10-22-2004 04:41 PM

Fold.

rgreenm90 10-22-2004 04:45 PM

Yeah i agree with all-in. Your only gonna survive for about two more orbits, and you can probably force out hands up to AQo or 10-10. Then again, its hard to say exactly what you stand to win, with no live players and the possibility . You absolutely cannot bet 450-500- then if you get reraised all on you're really screwed, since you are probably the underdog but you're completely pot committed. Its a terrible spot to be in, but you can't afford another round of blinds. All-in.

tripdad 10-22-2004 04:45 PM

some reasons to push:

you will soon be blinded out of 300 chips, leaving you with just 800. not so bad when blinds are 100/200, but when they jump soon to 200/400, you are completely hamstrung. if you are the best player at the table, you need chips to outplay your opponents with. QJs, while not a very powerful hand, is much better than average and what you can expect in the next 2 hands.

reason to fold:

with 2 broadways, if you get called, you will more likely be dominated than if you had, say T9s.

i think pushing is the better deal here.

cheers!

tdomeski 10-22-2004 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QJ suited

[/ QUOTE ]

What suit? This is important.

AngryCola 10-22-2004 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your going to post a good chunk of your stack with a RANDOM HAND, QJs looks much better than that regardless of your the caller's hand, push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last point I want to make is about this particular aspect of the situation. David chose a situation where it is very close. However, you can afford to take those blind losses for that 1 next round only.

If he had advanced this situation to the chip count of where you would be at (minus the blinds and assuming no played hands) the next time UTG with QJ suited it would be an unfortunate but undebateable push all-in.

Your goal at this point in the tournament is to double up. Most likely the best thing that could happen in the posed scenerio is that everyone would fold if you moved all-in.

Picking up the blinds wasn't really the goal though was it? You almost have to double up. In the scenerio posed by David your chances of doubling up vs busting out are not good.

It does not make sense on a risk vs. reward basis. The best case scenerio of picking up the blinds isn't worth it. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]