Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367110)

bernie 10-28-2005 03:56 PM

Re: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

[ QUOTE ]
2. The Fountainhead is not about getting out of anybody's way and letting them run things.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't say that's what Fountainhead was about. He was referring to Atlas Shrugged.

His Fountainhead quote:
[ QUOTE ]
The Fountainhead is much better because it is more about how you should personally strive to be a great, talented person.

[/ QUOTE ]

b

jakethebake 10-28-2005 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. The Fountainhead is not about getting out of anybody's way and letting them run things.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't say that's what Fountainhead was about. He was referring to Atlas Shrugged.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I meant. That's not what it's about.

bernie 10-28-2005 04:05 PM

Fountainhead a better read?

[ QUOTE ]
It's a good book. I didn't love it or hate it - The Fountainhead is much better IMO.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed a few giving this opinion so I'm wondering if I do read one of Rands books, if maybe I should read Fountainhead instead.

I've also heard that she didn't use an editor which can make it tough to read. Is one book better in this regard than the other?

b

jakethebake 10-28-2005 04:07 PM

Re: Fountainhead a better read?

[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed a few giving this opinion so I'm wondering if I do read one of Rands books, if maybe I should read Fountainhead instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Fountainhead is a much better read.

AngryCola 10-28-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a better read, but I think Atlas Shrugged is probably the better book.

That probably doesn't make much sense, but at least I know what I'm trying to say. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SmileyEH 10-28-2005 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree, but to each his own. To those wanting to read Rand, read Fountainhead first then give her other stuff a shot. The fountainhead is one of my favorite books.

-SmileyEH

istewart 10-28-2005 04:15 PM

If it wasn't the size of four Bibles, it would be better.

bernie 10-28-2005 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One is a better story, but the other doesn't suffer as much from lack of an editor?

b

bobbyi 10-28-2005 04:51 PM

It's a good book. I say read it. I enjoyed it a lot. It's long, but that's not a problem because you will be able to tell pretty quickly whether you are into it or not. If you hate the book after 150 pages, you are going to hate the rest of it, so you might as well stop there. If you like the book, then its length isn't a problem anyway.

I haven't read Fountainhead. People I know who are into Ayn Rand claim that it is the better book. On the other hand, it is less famous and influential, so if the reason you are reading this is for cultural literacy rather than purely for enjoyment, Atlas Shrugged might still be the better choice.

SmileyEH 10-28-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
f the reason you are reading this is for cultural literacy

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a terrible reason to read a book.

-SmileyEH