Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Is Poker Socially Useful?: Part I by Alan N. Schoonmaker, Ph.D. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=166869)

naphand 01-02-2005 05:55 AM

Re: Is Poker Socially Useful?: Part I by Alan N. Schoonmaker, Ph.D.

I am well aware that business operate with constant debt, but they do not operate with a constant loss. This is a difference that "any basic business course" would teach, as well.

[ QUOTE ]
making it accesible or relevant the the entire friggin planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your childishness knows no bounds, it seems. I have never made the point that is should be accessible to the entire population of the planet. In fact you could say I was just suggesting the English-speaking world. From a marketing perspective, I would have thought that translation into other languages would be considered a good thing; you may have noticed the internet is global. The Magazine is clearly a promotional vehicle (there are no sales revenues directly associated with it) and no reason why it should not appeal to non-English speaking countries. Why you have a problem with this is beyond me, but you do seem to have a problem with the rest of the world in general, do you feel threatened? Oh yes, you do don't you...

As a "minority" I have every right to ask that such articles be written in a style that reflects the international community, my request is entirely reasonable. I am also suprised that this is not SOP, as it must be apparent that there are a lot of non-USA readers. The article was incredibly insular, and from a professional such as Al I expected more consideration for this. You of course, don't care, but I am not interested in your xenophobic attitudes, merely in being able to read articles are accessible to the readership. This really is not difficult to achieve, so does not present any large obstacles. Why you have a problem with this notion is beyond me, though it it clear you personally have difficulty expressing yourself coherently and with consideration for others. If that is the image you wish to portray then you are merely confirming the stereotypic All-American pig-head image that is so popular here in the civilised world. Well done.

[ QUOTE ]
we don't give a rats ass if you think ours is valid or not. Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and I imagine for one moment your belligerent opinions are actually representative? Now that is amusing. Your attitude clearly belongs firmly in the Donald Rumsfeld camp of arrogant dismissal. If that is the kind of person poker produces then I think that there is a need to make sure it stays out of your educational system, somehow the idea of a nation of Bush/Rumsfeld/Clarkmeister clones fills my head with images from "Dawn of the Dead" (or perhaps even "Shaun of the Dead" which is funnier but, you may not have that film over there).

When you grow up Clark, you will realise just how stupid your comments have been.

eh923 01-02-2005 10:34 AM

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Sorry...that was Americanized. I mean, "don't get your knickers in a twist".

Zeno 01-02-2005 02:39 PM

Do computers have translation software?

Are some of these software programs free to download?

I think that English should be declared the international language of poker - sort of like the 'English Only' rule during the play of hands at live poker in America and, one would assume, England; the fountainhead of civil behavior.

Aside from the international scientific community, which is still a somewhat fraudulent term, there is no 'international community'.

Rating or placing Clarkmeister alongside Bush and Rumsfeld is a rather quizzical way to express your opinions, of not only the mentioned triad, but of America itself. You labor under too many illusions and possibly delusions. You have little to no understanding of America. I have a book suggestion: For you Limeys

So that you know who I am, and can pigeonhole me into your worldview, to the fullest extant possible for your apparent limited capacity to understand, I voted for George Bush and am profoundly proud of this fact.

-Zeno, An American.

naphand 01-02-2005 04:55 PM

If anyone fails to understand it is you. The point of my post is not to slam the USA but to suggest the Article written by Al could have been better considered. Clarkmeister is the one who appears to take personal umbridge at my suggestion that a lot of readers will not understand the references. I am also not the only one to say so in this thread.

I am not surprised, although always disappointed, that any "questioning" of the way things are done in America is taken as an attack on the values of that country. What a paranoid place it must be. The fact that many "do not understand" America is itself an argument to use less specific references. Perhaps a better title for Al's article is "Can Poker help the USA Economy?", as I see little social comment or indeed any relevance to anyone outside the USA. This apart, Al does make some pertinent points, and gets quite a lot into what is a short article. It is otherwise well written.

Your "pride" in voting for the Monkey King is only to be expected from someone who makes no contribution to this thread of any kind, other than to question non-USA citizen's right to express their opinions when they run contrary to your "patriotic values". Fortunately, your "Patriot Act" only gags USA citizens. "Patriotism" is an ugly word, and especially when espoused by the Bush camp, who take it to mean the right to interfere in world politics, attack sovereign nations and bomb factories in far flung places around the world. The poker "community" is international, the term "international community" obviously refers to considering the whole planet as a single community, which is perhaps only reasonable given the nature of world trade. Or do you think that other lives are cheaper than American lives, oh yes, you do don't you "we don't do body counts...". I could go on about your Government and its indisputably illegal actions on the international stage, and it's poisonous and damaging effect on the international community (which you deny exists, much like the International Court of Jutsice, the UN, Human Rights etc.) but this is not the place to do that.

I agree that translation software could be used, and also do not have a problem if only English was used. But anyone reading Al's article who is not a USA citizen will feel cheated, or at least disappointed with it's insular content. For an article that appears to be some sort of social comment, it is misleading. As I say, perhaps a more thoughtful title would be better. If the article was clearly a comment about the USA, fine, it is the assumption that what applies to the USA applies to all that is at the heart of this, and many other issues.

I don't need to pigeonhole you, you and Clark seem to do a very good job of that yourselves. Fortunately I know some American citizens who are thoughtful and considerate, and have a different world view. This gives me hope.

Zeno 01-02-2005 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't need to pigeonhole you, you and Clark seem to do a very good job of that yourselves. Fortunately I know some American citizens who are thoughtful and considerate, and have a different worldview. This gives me hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a worldview that fits snuggly with your own?

The purpose of my post was not to discuss Al's article. I was interested in the response that I would get from you. You did not disappoint. You also failed to see the relevance of the book suggestion. You have your own blinders; can't you even see that simple observation? Much of your post proves it (the ‘political’ part anyway).

By the way, I also own six different types of firearms. Does this help solidify in your mind the type of person I am?

-Zeno

Stork 01-02-2005 11:41 PM

What can you do with six that you can't do with one?

Zeno 01-02-2005 11:52 PM

If I had six wives would you ask the same question? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Think about that for a minute or two. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But we are way, way off topic now.

-Zeno

pudley4 01-03-2005 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm sorry but this is an appallingly written article...
for a publisher with such a good reputation,i cannot believe twoplustwo published an arguement that starts with the sentence "Many people would say, "No," but they would be wrong. "
i can't fully engage with the arguements since i live in ireland and don't know much about the american education system,but in the irish education system a 15 year old would know that this is an unacceptable way of starting an arguement...
its gets worse-as mentioned,spurious economic generalisations are made,and no effort is made to back up arguements with evidence...
referring to someone quoted as an idiot is not a way to express any arguement unless you are writing for a tabloid newspaper...

someone said this is not meant to be a thesis in its defence:this point is a fallacy worthy of the article itself...
there are plenty of people who are quite capable of explaining a complex arguement succinctly in an article length piece without resorting to the sort of childishness displayed in this one,if mr schoonmaker is incapable of doing so that does not put him beyond criticism
in general i trust twoplustwo as a publisher because i assume that someone who knows more about the topic at hand than me has written something intelligently and that the publishers know enough to filter out this sort of rubbish...

other than that i enjoyed the rest of the magazine,hopefully the rest of the issues will cut out sub-polemic schoolboy arguements....

[/ QUOTE ]

blah blah blah

I look forward to reading your article, which I assume will be in an upcoming issue and be gramatically and logically perfect.

climber 01-03-2005 04:12 AM

Before everyone got so very excited about what country they are or are not from, I also had a thought about the content of the article.

I too was dissapointed. I was attempting to descirbe the content of the article to my fiance the next day to reassure her of the innate goodness of me playing poker.

I remembered "ruthless meritocracy" and "american kids are losing their competitive edge because of liberals" Then i kind of blanked out and was left with a conclusion something like "We should teach kids to gamble so they will be more competitive later in life."

Maybe I too should go back to reread it. Anyways I also recall something about saying this article might be one of a few--or did I make that up with idle wishing?

naphand 01-03-2005 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The purpose of my post was not to discuss Al's article.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well quite.

I expect you consider yourself to be a Christian as well? Maybe go read up on the Ten Commandments, you seem to have forgotten some of them. Then go look up the meaning of the word "hypocrite".

[ QUOTE ]

Is this a worldview that fits snuggly with your own?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should it? If you have anything of value to contribute to this discussion than post. Otherwise keep your poisonous "patriotism/ignorance" away from these boards and discuss the points raised about the article, if you can.