Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The myth of Q-Tips? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395818)

toddw8 12-11-2005 12:21 AM

Re: The myth of Q-Tips?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i thought this was common knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I had no idea and am not going to be cleaning my ears out w/ QTips again. I've been meaning to go to an ENT for a nasal dripping problem, so I'll get the wax sucked out when I finally get around to making that trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, this thread had the opposite effect on me. I'm cleaning out my ears as I type this. It feels so good.

tonypaladino 12-11-2005 12:22 AM

I know I should quit, but I can't. It feels so damn good. I think I'm addicted.

manpower 12-11-2005 12:28 AM

When I shower I just turn my head sideways and let the water run into my ear. I find this more pleasant than q-tips and I would guess that it's more healthy, although I don't know if it is or not. Should I be worrying about any adverse side effects of hot water :P

shaniac 12-11-2005 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I shower I just turn my head sideways and let the water run into my ear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that's an effective way of cleaning out your ear, but sounds enjoyable anyway.

Apparently, going to a doctor and having him flush the crap in your ear out with a syringe is the way to go. Then he puts some "softener" in there. I'm crestfallen to learn that Q-tips are a scam. Might try draino.

RacersEdge 12-11-2005 02:04 AM

Confirmed.

Flush your ears.

12-11-2005 02:09 AM

i make my living as an audio engineer...so my ears are pretty essential. i can tell you from experience that Q-tips suck. using them can irritate your ear as well as running the risk of impacting the wax. if you have an abnormal amount of wax...use some ear drops, or have a doctor flush them out.

once i tried to use a Q-tip and ended up totally blocking up my left ear. i had to mix 4 concerts that week with only one working ear before i had time to see a doctor. no fun.

jon

rusellmj 12-11-2005 02:16 AM

Re: Candling is BAD

I've never heard of the candle. Coning is something I've heard of. Supposed to be safe. Not sure if it's the same thing.

Not worth much, but I've used Q-tips for years w/ no problems. In fact when I had my hearing checked (I wear hearing aids) they used a camera and said I had the cleanest ears they've ever seen.

Blarg 12-11-2005 02:24 AM

Re: Candling is BAD

Never a problem for me either.

12-11-2005 02:41 AM

Back here in the hills of Mississippi, we just get a grub worm by the tail, and stick his head in your ear. He'll do the rest.

12-11-2005 02:45 AM

Shane,

You don't see me going on medical message boards and saying that you suck at poker. Please think about your posts in the future as this one really hurt my feelings.

Thank you,
Q.T.