Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   finally got one just right? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=142716)

mike l. 11-02-2004 03:31 PM

Re: finally got one just right?

"Focus and forethought get the job done. Wiping the cocky look off his face by raising his ass doesn't. "

you realise of course this is simplistic to the point of being inaccurate and it's a combination of both that i have working for me? right?

mike l. 11-02-2004 03:44 PM

the mike l. style/attitude

"It's the talk about the guy being cocky and the "raise his ass" comments that, to me, kept mike from getting things "just right.""

maintaining a level of disdain for my opponents at the table enables me to better take their money, and to better avoid giving them mine.

when someone gets brave against me and value bets i relish the opportunity to punish them for their error. i like to control the games im in, i like to be the center of attention. i want them to be out to get me because in their clumsy miguided attempts to do so they will end up only making things worse for themselves and making my job easier, which is to take their money.

im young, im aggressive, people naturally dont trust me at poker. rather than rebel against that i try and find ways to enhance that and play off that image. i always get paid off. it takes someone like tommy to ignore me and not pay me off and get huffed and lose EV, and tommys are very few and far between. this has been a successful mode of play for me for several years now and im getting better at it every month. i like to be melodramatic on here and schizo and stuff because it makes for funny posts, but im quite serious when i tell you ive never been more comfortable and pleased with my style of play and the results im getting from it.

there's more but youll just have to wait for the book. i greatly admire the ways tommy and andy get the job done by killing them with kindness, and i do not advocate rude or obnoxious behavior at the table. but attitude, an attitude quite different from the one tommy and andy advocate, is critical to my success as a player and im glad i could share some of my ideas about it today.

MMMMMM 11-02-2004 04:36 PM

I don't see that those two things are mutually exclusive in this specific hand.

andyfox 11-03-2004 01:28 AM

Re: the mike l. style/attitude

I can't wait for the book. Really.

Regards,
Andy

andyfox 11-03-2004 01:29 AM

I don't think it's possible to do the second without doing the first. But it is possible to do the first without doing the second. And, yes, I do realize you have both working for you.

Perhaps I'm just jealous.

Mano 11-03-2004 06:37 PM

Re: the mike l. style/attitude

The external stuff is all well and good. You should say and do whatever you think maximizes your edge versus your opponents. From what I have read of all Tommy's post's and essays, his key to playing tiltless poker is taking all ego and emotion out of his decision making. If your internal thinking is "I'm check raising his ass", it indicates emotion or ego are still involved in the decision. Whereas if your internal thinking is "a checkraise is the proper play here" and you say "I'm checkraising your ass" because you think it increases your edge it would be fine. Just my read on it.

Sqred 11-04-2004 05:19 PM

Fantastic. I think it was perfect. Two big bets with all the cards out and an overpair that is way good. I just bet here almost all of the time, and the other times I check call to induce a bluff. The river check raise is great, I am trying to get more value on the river and I need to start making plays like this.

FJM