Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392929)

man 12-06-2005 09:20 PM

Re: Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32

these were tough matchups for me:

Super Mario Brothers 3 v.
The Secret of Monkey Island

not because it's really a question, but because I love the secret of monkey island and hated seeing it go down.

Final Fantasy III (VI)
Castlevania

the idea of FF3/VI going down to this crap makes me cry.

Dragon Warrior
Sim City 2000

I played and liked both.

in general this poll is making me emotional.

Hamish McBagpipe 12-06-2005 09:21 PM

OK, cool, I offer to set it up after the current "best" polls are through. Pre-NES is definitely the guideline, Pong and up. We've already had a couple of good threads about those ultra-old games.

12-06-2005 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Putting Chrono Trigger vs TSB also sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that even close? You are comparing a _football game_ to one of the greatest RPGs of all time? A game with awesome character development, storyline, dialogue, and very rich gameplay to a game where you try to move your 16 pixel guys past the other 16 pixel guys? I mean come on. Sports games have their place in the industry but this matchup should be nowhere near close.

Edit: Wow just saw the results on this one so far. All I can say is that there is obviously a huge population of [censored] jocks whose favorite game of all time is Halo in OOT. There really is no point in continuing this tournament any further because it is obvious that a huge portion of these people simply have no taste in video games whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

but see, when I said it, I didnt sound like such a nerd.

honestly, I dont get it, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

btw, all-time classic best idea ever uber-oldschool game was galaga. period, end of damn subject.

einbert 12-06-2005 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, all-time classic best idea ever uber-oldschool game was galaga. period, end of damn subject.

[/ QUOTE ]
The omission of this game to the list is a serious travesty.

[ QUOTE ]
but see, when I said it, I didnt sound like such a nerd.

[/ QUOTE ]
The flaw that strangers most frequently point out to me is my tendency to often sound like a nerd. Honestly I'm not too concerned about it.

imported_CaseClosed326 12-06-2005 09:24 PM

Chrono Trigger losing in the first round in retarded.

durron597 12-06-2005 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these were tough matchups for me:

Super Mario Brothers 3 v.
The Secret of Monkey Island

[/ QUOTE ]

Monkey Island is a great, extremely underrated game.

mj12 12-06-2005 09:28 PM

zelda -i replaced my grade school education with years of playing that game

Soul Daddy 12-06-2005 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Putting Chrono Trigger vs TSB also sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that even close? You are comparing a _football game_ to one of the greatest RPGs of all time? A game with awesome character development, storyline, dialogue, and very rich gameplay to a game where you try to move your 16 pixel guys past the other 16 pixel guys? I mean come on. Sports games have their place in the industry but this matchup should be nowhere near close.

Edit: Wow just saw the results on this one so far. All I can say is that there is obviously a huge population of [censored] jocks whose favorite game of all time is Halo in OOT. There really is no point in continuing this tournament any further because it is obvious that a huge portion of these people simply have no taste in video games whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, some of us aren't voting on the uber-geek scale of game craftsmanship, we're just voting on which games we had the most fun playing. TSB [censored] rules to play against friends. Having a season with a bunch of friends in high school taking each team, while demanding, is probably my greatest videogame memory.

12-06-2005 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chrono Trigger losing in the first round in retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

and FF6 losing just kinda tips this into irrelevancy, since the original castlevania was a total piece of crap.

astroglide 12-06-2005 09:33 PM

day of the tentacle is one of the greatest games of all time, old school or not

a lot of games will be blown out unfairly because of a lack of exposure