Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Controversy over symbols and racism . (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401676)

wacki 12-19-2005 11:26 PM

Re: So I guess some people think symbols/posters should be banned.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
who can really say what the flag truely means nowadays?

[/ QUOTE ]
People that have first hand experience with those that sport it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to dollywood and get a bigger sample set.

Sponger15SB 12-19-2005 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also isn't it heil hitler?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the stay pufft marshmallo german?

sublime 12-19-2005 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i will say this. if i see anyone with that stupid flag, i assume they are idiots. then again, i assume most people are idiots.

12-19-2005 11:28 PM

I plead ignorance on the rebel flag.

My feeling is that the tone of the cactus image only contributes to the general desensitization of the masses where the events of WWII are involved. I have no designs on mod status and I'm all for freedom of speech, but if someone gave me that responsibility, I'd at least use it to make sure these forums didn't contribute to this kind of ignorance. I recognize that its a joke, but its walking a blurred line.

That said, I have to think some people are offended by some of the NSFW pics on this site, and once you start getting into censorship, a major cleanup/overhaul may be required. Even then, you won't keep all the people happy all the time. Tough call.

Gary

ThaSaltCracka 12-19-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]ok, but I can then come back and tell you that I have met some very nice people from SC that display their Confederate flag as a symbol of Southern pride. This of course could be an SC thing. Either way, as I said, the connotation is different from person to person. You seem to be caught up in the negative connotation, and refuse to acknowledge those that hold the flag in a positive way.

Me personally, I can see both sides.

Eurotrash 12-19-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yup. That is my post. I'm an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how on the bottom of the image it has "Stay Puft" yet in your post you wrote what it is commonly mistaken for, "Stay Puff" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

also isn't it heil hitler?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, I think so, but I was going to let that slide

Evan 12-19-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a discussion if symbols like the confederate flag are symbols of racism and anyone that uses it is symbolizing racism

[/ QUOTE ]
At my high school there were desks int eh library set up in blcoks of four. If you looked at them from above the walls made the shape of a swastika. I don't think the designers fo those desks were racist.

You made a pretty blanket statement there, did you really expect it to hold up?

Evan 12-19-2005 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Given your recent stupidity I can't even give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are joking.

ThaSaltCracka 12-19-2005 11:31 PM

Dollywood man, go see the [censored] man, the [censored] [censored] man!

Evan 12-19-2005 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]ok, but I can then come back and tell you that I have met some very nice people from SC that display their Confederate flag as a symbol of Southern pride. This of course could be an SC thing. Either way, as I said, the connotation is different from person to person. You seem to be caught up in the negative connotation, and refuse to acknowledge those that hold the flag in a positive way.

Me personally, I can see both sides.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not refusing to see anything. I'm tryign to aggregate it. If I started signing valentine's cards with "[swastika] Evan" because I was using it as a symbol of love, would that make it not a symbol of Naziism?

ThaSaltCracka 12-19-2005 11:38 PM

unfortunately, for people with no understanding of the history of that symbol, they would think that. However, I don't see how this proves or supports your point.

edit: wait, nevermind. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

istewart 12-19-2005 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think the designers were racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/5...himmler8po.jpg

Evan 12-19-2005 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unfortunately, for people with no understanding of the history of that symbol, they would think that. However, I don't see how this proves or supports your point.

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesnt prove my point. I was just trying to illustrate that because you know 3 or 5 or 50 peopel that use the flag is an awesome way doesn't mean that many more don't use it in a hateful way.

I can't prove that it's more often used as a symbol of hate than non-hateful pride. I'm just telling you that that's my opinion based on empirical evidence.

ThaSaltCracka 12-19-2005 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just telling you that that's my opinion based on empirical evidence.

[/ QUOTE ] yeah I sorta understood that about 20 posts ago or so.

wacki 12-19-2005 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Given your recent stupidity I can't even give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I'm not. From your previous comment I assume you meant everyone that sports the stars and bars = racist. Some of your previous arguements have been equally extreme by equating it (in the absolute sense) to incest. Both assumptions are dumber than anything I've done in this thread IMO. It's all about context, context, CONTEXT!!!!!

Your question on IRC about the swastika was also a poor one. You gave me no context. "is the swastika a hate symbol? 1 word only wacki!!! yes or no!". At least you agree on a native american indian it isn't.

I've never been to dollywood but i've met tons that do go. To them that flag is a cultural icon. Hell even blacks wear it at dollywood. So some it's political, to others it's simply a symbol of a way of life. (i.e. country music) It's a petty cause, but a harmless one none the less.

There are many other legit reasons to sport this flag.

To claim they are racist is just wrong.

12-19-2005 11:46 PM

nevermind, not my argument

Evan 12-19-2005 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, sorry but that's all I can offer, just like you. In this case I think my experience is more accurate than yours.

TheRover 12-19-2005 11:46 PM

Holy [censored] did you just called this arguement

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stupid and then follow it up with something this goddamn dumb?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not refusing to see anything. I'm tryign to aggregate it. If I started signing valentine's cards with "[swastika] Evan" because I was using it as a symbol of love, would that make it not a symbol of Naziism?

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka 12-19-2005 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, sorry but that's all I can offer, just like you. In this case I think my experience is more accurate than yours.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't see why your experience is any more accurate than mine, nor do I understand why you are arguing a point with me which I have acknowledged is true? Is there some sort of pride associated with experiencing people with "da flag"?

Evan 12-19-2005 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your question on IRC about the swastika was also a poor one. You gave me no context. "is the swastika a hate symbol? 1 word only wacki!!! yes or no!". At least you agree on a native american indian it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wacki, when's the last time you saw an American Indian sporting the swastika? When's the last time you saw a swastika and thought, "Man, I need to go rent Pocahontas!"

[ QUOTE ]

There are many other legit reasons to sport this flag.

To claim they are racist is just wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
SOrry I couldn't come up with one as accurate as "supporting country music".

wacki 12-19-2005 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In Korea, this would be fine. In deutschland, this would be bad.

Context, Context, CONTEXT!!!!!

Evan 12-19-2005 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored] did you just called this arguement

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stupid and then follow it up with something this goddamn dumb?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you explain why this is dumb? I don't get it and neither do a couple people I've asked.

sublime 12-19-2005 11:53 PM

I don't get it and neither do a couple people I've asked.

did you ask them in ther MOD FORUM?????

mwahaahahahahahaaaa http://www.g21.net/2000grax/dracula11.gif

ThaSaltCracka 12-19-2005 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wacki, when's the last time you saw an American Indian sporting the swastika?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't mean to be a nit, but I do believe I saw either an Indian or some Indian artifact, either in person or on TV with a swastika on their clothes/art. I do not recall specifics, but I think this sample size is suffice.

Evan 12-19-2005 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In Korea, this would be fine. In deutschland, this would be bad.

Context, Context, CONTEXT!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
We're in America. I don't think Korean context is really relevant. In some places it might be okay for me to shoot you for for disagreing with me, I don't need you to point out that it's not okay in this context since we're not in wherever.

Evan 12-19-2005 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I don't mean to be a nit, but I do believe I saw either an Indian or some Indian artifact, either in person or on TV with a swastika on their clothes/art. I do not recall specifics, but I think this sample size is suffice.

[/ QUOTE ]
My question was meant to be time-based, not instance-based. I was the one that pointed out in irc that it was originally an american indian symbol. My point is that it has taken on a different meaning in our culture.

ThaSaltCracka 12-19-2005 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that it has taken on a different meaning in our culture.

[/ QUOTE ] [censored], I think it has a very different meaning for any culture that has had moving pictures since the 1930's. So I disagree with wacki here, atleast in regards to the swastika.

TheRover 12-20-2005 12:00 AM

You're using something totally unrealistic and ridiculous to argue against tsc's reasonable comments and right after mocking wacki's ridiculous statement. It just bugged me.

Or I'm reading it wrong.

Evan 12-20-2005 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My point is that it has taken on a different meaning in our culture.

[/ QUOTE ] [censored], I think it has a very different meaning for any culture that has had moving pictures since the 1930's. So I disagree with wacki here, atleast in regards to the swastika.

[/ QUOTE ]
Challah!

wacki 12-20-2005 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time I was on an Indian reservation for purposes other than gamboling..ing... 2 years ago.

Still, arguement is irrelevant.

I think the major problem here is that the flag means different things for people on different sides of the country.

The solution? "When in Rome...."

peachy 12-20-2005 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't see how the confederate flag represents slavery. The civil war was about states' rights, not slavery. Slavery was a side issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this what they teach u at CUNY?

[/ QUOTE ]

what....did u get a one sided northern education in how to be a moron?

the flag did not stand for slavery...and the war was fought for many reasons...that flag was used in a war....it doesnt mean it has anything to do with race...i dont have time to go into detail on this right now

Evan 12-20-2005 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're using something totally unrealistic and ridiculous to argue against tsc's reasonable comments and right after mocking wacki's ridiculous statement. It just bugged me.

Or I'm reading it wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
My post was meant to be borderline absurd. I was trying to illustrate that a small sample of people with a particular definition of something doesn't make that definition true. While it may not have been the most coherent example, I think it got the point across.

TheRover 12-20-2005 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The solution? "When in Rome....just use a bundle of sticks instead"

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Voltron87 12-20-2005 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

WHITE POWER

[/ QUOTE ]

fypeachy

ThaSaltCracka 12-20-2005 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to illustrate that a small sample of people with a particular definition of something doesn't make that definition true.

[/ QUOTE ] this works both ways though.

Anyways, I am off to play some b-ball, have fun.

wacki 12-20-2005 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or I'm reading it wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me how basing a sample set off of 10,000 dollywood regulars is more absurd than basing it of 8 skinheads you met in an alley.

Seriously my comment was a bit silly but it was nowhere near as absurd as some of the claims my opponents have made.

Also, I've made plenty of historical arguements in the past. They were ignored because "the symbol has evolved to something else which is hate". I see no reason why I can't counter that with using the country culture. BTW, my dollywood comment wasn't actually about dollywood. It was about the people who visited dollywood. There is a HUGE difference.

You better explain to my why my comment is more ridiculous than an 8 skinhead sample set.

peachy 12-20-2005 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

WHITE POWER

[/ QUOTE ]

fypeachy

[/ QUOTE ]

The north did just as much injustice in regards to slaves of the NORTH and thier abuse of immigrants...try actually learning history sometime...i dont see mass slave graves in the south like there are in NY full of thousands of bodies. How can people assume we are the racist ones? Everyone in America used slaves and it had been a practice since the beginning of time....these were NOT the primary reasons for our war

peachy 12-20-2005 12:15 AM

Re: Controversy over symbols and racism .

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whats the problem with the flag then?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have a problem with it. I do think it has A LOT to do with racism. For those that have never been in the south it's hard to explain. But I don't have a problem with it and I don't have a problem with swastikas.

[/ QUOTE ]

uve got to be kidding me...people of ALL races fly that flag here...to the non retarded it stands for southern heritage and tradition. A very small percent of people fly that flag to strictly be RACIST. And u driving through the south doesnt make u an expert on our way of life here

To me flying the American flag is just as "racist" as flying the confederate flag

istewart 12-20-2005 12:17 AM

PM me re: tonight's lynching, peachy. Thanks.

Clarkmeister 12-20-2005 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, one more time, I DO NOT WANT THE CONFEDERATE FLAG TO BE BANNED, RESTRICTED, OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. Not in OOT, but to have any part of a flag flying over any state capital with a confederate flag design is completely unacceptible. Not only for what that flag, rightly or wrongly, symbolizes to millions of Americans, but also because THEY LOST THE WAR. If you lose the war, you do not get to continue flying your colors. But even ignoring that, it should be pretty obviously wrong for any public institution to have any part of that flag.