Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Official High Boltage Thread (SD-Indy) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400787)

TheRover 12-18-2005 05:31 PM

Re: Official High Boltage Thread (SD-Indy)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know this is a team sport right?

He loses in the playoffs to better teams and that makes him a serial choker? Also he has won several playoff games and been able to rally his team in regular season games many many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, he just had the chance to drive his team to win... now, please tell me the result.

AHEM.... someone has something in their throat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm convinced that people who think like this have some form of retardation.

trying2learn 12-18-2005 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not if you play like that in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Colts can do one of two things here. They can fold, now that they think they feel beatable. Or they can use this as motivation, remember that if they play flat that they ARE beatable, and decimate people from here on out, with only the game in Seattle next week away from the RCA Dome.

Dungy and Manning will have this team ready every week. Believe that.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are still a lot of, "if's"...but that said -

If the Patriots get a shot at the Colts - even in Indy - your team is not as much of a lock to even GET to the Super Bowl as you think they are.

Edge34 12-18-2005 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Super Bowl in Detroit, here we come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick, edit this out so people don't see yet another contradiction you made in this thread. I can think of some things other than "tool" that I could call you but don't want to give you something else to tattle about.

Edit: Please change your handle b/c I'm offended you would disgrace someone from the "U" by affiliating yourself with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, feel free to call me whatever you want. I'll just refer you to the Terms and Conditions of this place and as long as you abide by what you see in there, you can say whatever you want.

Posts made for the sole purpose of attacking another poster are not allowed, so just keep that in mind.

Edge34 12-18-2005 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not if you play like that in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Colts can do one of two things here. They can fold, now that they think they feel beatable. Or they can use this as motivation, remember that if they play flat that they ARE beatable, and decimate people from here on out, with only the game in Seattle next week away from the RCA Dome.

Dungy and Manning will have this team ready every week. Believe that.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are still a lot of, "if's"...but that said -

If the Patriots get a shot at the Colts - even in Indy - your team is not as much of a lock to even GET to the Super Bowl as you think they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pats are playing the best they've played all year, clearly. But a lot of their advantage over the Colts has come from their home field advantage, as well as the Colts inability to stop even the most mediocre of offenses. A game that only requires the Colts to put up 21 points will be much easier to win than one that requires 35-42.

sublime 12-18-2005 05:34 PM

http://www.storiesfromtheweb.org/hap...gyoujacket.jpg

lastchance 12-18-2005 05:35 PM

Um... No. If the Patriots get to face the Colts at IND, because they faced a crappy Jacksonville team at home, the Colts at least a 7-point favorite.

What the Colts should really be worried about is facing the Broncos/Bengals/ (or SD) two weeks down the line.

12-18-2005 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao...I'll stop messing with him cuz he's obviously on tilt and isn't worth getting put in time out or getting a spanking over.

12-18-2005 05:37 PM

Ive said for a while that the Chargers were the only team I thought with the offensive and defensive makeup to beat Indy IN Indy. Its unfortunate that even if they run the table they will prolly not get in cause of the other teams easy schedule. They should sub out the Jags, Steelers, or Pats, for the Chargers, a team that actually could be dangerous. Im an NFC team fan but I actually want to see competitive playoffs, and as it stands now no one is going to challenge the Colts in Indy as long as they get themself together.

bowens 12-18-2005 05:38 PM

You're kidding, right? How do you figure that? I'd like to hear it.

thatpfunk 12-18-2005 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He loses in the playoffs to better teams and that makes him a serial choker? Also he has won several playoff games and been able to rally his team in regular season games many many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, he just had the chance to drive his team to win... now, please tell me the result.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I think people are pretty [censored] stupid when they don't blame the LEADER OF THE TEAM for a crippling penalty and then a sack that takes away the teams ability to win the game.

I also think people are pretty [censored] dumb when they slob all over the dick of someone who CAN'T win a big one.

trying2learn 12-18-2005 05:40 PM

it is true that manning's intentional grounding cost them a shot at winning. that point was really just glossed over in this thread.

sublime 12-18-2005 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it is true that manning's intentional grounding cost them a shot at winning. that point was really just glossed over in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

that and the patriots, who played the toughest strecth of games in NFL history without richard seymour and dillon which accounted for thier somewhat pedestruian record. not to mention having the best coach in the NFL making gameplans.

bowens 12-18-2005 05:49 PM

Toughest schedule? Not so sure about that. They did have to play the rest of their division. And the powerhouse Saints.

CrazyEyez 12-18-2005 05:50 PM

Anyone see the Peyton press conference? He pointed out at least two "mistakes" his teammates made. Do any other QBs hang their guys out to dry like he does? Imagine if they actually lost more often. No one would play with him.

CrazyEyez 12-18-2005 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Merriman is a freaking beast.

[/ QUOTE ]
This guy is going to be an insanely good player.

12-18-2005 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right? How do you figure that? I'd like to hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont feel like breaking it all down, just watch the playoffs. Its the NFL so anything can happen ill just leave it at that.

bottomset 12-18-2005 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Toughest schedule? Not so sure about that. They did have to play the rest of their division. And the powerhouse Saints.

[/ QUOTE ]

and NYG, Dallas, Pitt, Indy every team plays some garbage teams

Jacksonville plays a cupcake schedule

thatpfunk 12-18-2005 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The last few games he has really exploded into his own. He will be fun to watch. Plus he has an amazing nickname.

CrazyEyez 12-18-2005 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The last few games he has really exploded into his own. He will be fun to watch. Plus he has an amazing nickname.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a charger fan trapped in MN and I'm unaware of the nickname. Please enlighten me.

TheRover 12-18-2005 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I think people are pretty [censored] stupid when they don't blame the LEADER OF THE TEAM for a crippling penalty and then a sack that takes away the teams ability to win the game.

I also think people are pretty [censored] dumb when they slob all over the dick of someone who CAN'T win a big one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weren't the Colts starting a rookie offensive lineman for most of this game? Let's look at James' rushing stats: 13 carries for 25 yards. Wasn't Manning under a ton of pressure for much of the game? This is Manning's fault? Let's consider that maybe Indy's offensive line had as much to do with it as anything. Let's also remember that San Diego is one of the top five teams in the NFL.

Certainly Manning deserves some blame for a few bad plays, but so what? If anyone thinks Manning is solely to blame for this loss that person is an idiot. No doubt about it.

Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would "slobber" over the best QB in the NFL. I don't believe in magic.

thatpfunk 12-18-2005 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a charger fan trapped in MN and I'm unaware of the nickname. Please enlighten me.

[/ QUOTE ]

His nickname is Lights Out. He has a tattoo of of a lightswitch on his forearm.

He got the nick after knocking 4 players out for the game in High School.

TheRover 12-18-2005 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that and the patriots, who played the toughest strecth of games in NFL history without richard seymour and dillon which accounted for thier somewhat pedestruian record. not to mention having the best coach in the NFL making gameplans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Chargers have had a tougher schedule, but it's pretty close I'd guess.

"not to mention having the best coach in the NFL making gameplans"

This really needs to be said more often cause it's so damn true. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Belichick.

sublime 12-18-2005 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Chargers have had a tougher schedule, but it's pretty close I'd guess.

"not to mention having the best coach in the NFL making gameplans"

This really needs to be said more often cause it's so damn true. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Belichick.

[/ QUOTE ]

overall they may have, but that stretch in the early season was brutal. it was argued it was the toughest in NFL history, but i have no idea.

@ car
@ pitts
San Diego
@atlanta
@denver

bye week

buffalo
indy

thatpfunk 12-18-2005 06:13 PM

Rover,
Please find where I have ever placed ALL blame on Manning. I have simply maintained that
a) he was the perpetrator of a crucial penalty that inhibited the Colts from winning the game
b) he took a sack that ruined the same chance
c) he is a grand-master-pooh-bah choke artist

It comes down to the simple fact that HE is the leader and QB of the team. He would get all the praise if he had driven them to a game winning touchdown. Conversely, he recieves the blame.

Call it whatever you want, moxy, intagibles, whatever. Do I believe 100% that if you put Brady in there he would have won the game? Yes. How? I don't know- a lucky scramble, a different audible, instilling an impending sense of doom in the defense, etc.

Peyton had the chance to drive them to win, to save the perfect season, to further cement his legendary status... and he didn't do it. That, to me at least, is the definition of a choker.

(could the line have blocked better, recievers run better routes, etc, etc- of course. but they didn't. for legendary players this shouldn't matter, they put the team on their back and win. Peyton stumbles, time and time again)

CrazyEyez 12-18-2005 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jacksonville plays a cupcake schedule

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean the part where they played the Jets, Texans, Titans, Cardinals, Browns, 49ers, Texans, and Titans?

To their credit, I guess, they've won the first six of those. But their margin of victory is 6,7,3,7,6,1. That's not very impressive.

BreakEvenPlayer 12-18-2005 06:29 PM

Chargers...

@NE
Pitt (coming off their bye week)
@Oak (coming off their bye week)
@Phila (coming off their bye week)
KC (coming off 10 days of prep because they played early due to hurricane)
@NYJ (coming off their bye week)

Now that is a tough strech.

kenberman 12-18-2005 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and Bruschi, and a thrown into the fire secondary, and...

TheRover 12-18-2005 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rover,
Please find where I have ever placed ALL blame on Manning. I have simply maintained that
a) he was the perpetrator of a crucial penalty that inhibited the Colts from winning the game
b) he took a sack that ruined the same chance
c) he is a grand-master-pooh-bah choke artist

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see much difference between that and your half dozen or so post about Manning being a choker. You could see how I might have got the wrong impression...[ QUOTE ]

It comes down to the simple fact that HE is the leader and QB of the team. He would get all the praise if he had driven them to a game winning touchdown. Conversely, he recieves the blame.

Call it whatever you want, moxy, intagibles, whatever. Do I believe 100% that if you put Brady in there he would have won the game? Yes. How? I don't know- a lucky scramble, a different audible, instilling an impending sense of doom in the defense, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You really need to consider the game as a whole and not just the few plays that in the end seem decisive(sp). I can't image any defense being significantly more scared shitless facing Brady than Manning. You can talk about and believe all that intangible stuff all you want. But that [censored] right there is ridiculous.

As for Manning getting all the credit/blame, just because the media are a bunch of fucktards doesn't give you the excuse to be.

sublime 12-18-2005 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chargers...

@NE
Pitt (coming off their bye week)
@Oak (coming off their bye week)
@Phila (coming off their bye week)
KC (coming off 10 days of prep because they played early due to hurricane)
@NYJ (coming off their bye week)

Now that is a tough strech.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true!

thatpfunk 12-18-2005 06:50 PM

Rover,
You don't have to consider the whole game in regards to Peyton and choking. He had a chance to drive his team to win. He didn't do it.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't image any defense being significantly more scared shitless facing Brady than Manning. You can talk about and believe all that intangible stuff all you want. But that [censored] right there is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever actually played a game of football?

Did you see Manning during the drive? Did you see the defense? They weren't rattled at all. They should have been once the ball started moving. They should have had the sense of dread in their stomachs, the feeling of helplessness that occurs when an offense is confident and clicking and driving down the field.

pokerdirty 12-18-2005 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sublime is so trolltastic

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

bowens 12-18-2005 06:55 PM

These are professional athletes we are discussing here. I think you are stressing that "feeling of dread" a little too much. Perhaps the defense felt that way about themselves? I think people aren't giving the Chargers D enough credit...

Richard Tanner 12-18-2005 06:56 PM

Good Game Fellas!

Well that's is, the Colts lost and it will now be 3 weeks before anything meaningful happens to them. I'd just like to say "Good game and good try" to the boys in blue. After about week 10 they faced a near impossible task and performed admirably. Sadly they weren't able to achieve their goal and the season is now over.
True they are probably the favorites to win the Super Bowl, but it doesn't matter. No one remembers Super Bowl winners, everyone knows the '72 Dolphins. Good effort boys, good luck for next year.

I would also like to commend other Colt's fans on their attitudes. Of those I have seen they had a humility and generally pleasent attitude. I'm proud to be counted amoung you.

Lastly, to the fans that seem to root for only failure, you are the worst kind of sports fan. If the best you can manage is to root against a team trying to make history, you really need to grow up. If you're a chargers fan, enjoy a very well earned victory. If, however, you're happy simply because you don't like Peyton Manning or because your team lost and thankfully now, so has everyone else, then the sports world really needs less of you.

I wish I was a Chargers fan right now, they played a fantastic game and beat the best team in the NFL. No bad weather, no key injuries, just helmet to helmet, pad to pad victory. They played their best and caused the Colts to play their worst. Well played Bolts, hope the Colts can get a second crack in the playoffs.

Cody

kenberman 12-18-2005 06:58 PM

Re: Good Game Fellas!

[ QUOTE ]
No one remembers Super Bowl winners, everyone knows the '72 Dolphins.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

Richard Tanner 12-18-2005 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok let's do a little test:

Who won SB XXII?
Who is the only team to go undeafeated in one season?

Which took longer to answer.

Edit: Hopefully you understand that there was a slight amount of exaggeration in my statement, ovbviously the Lombardi trophy is great but you're one of many, and your reign is a year long, being one of two perfect teams on the other hand.

Cody

kenberman 12-18-2005 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who won SB XXII?

Edit: Hopefully you understand that there was a slight amount of exaggeration in my statement, ovbviously the Lombardi trophy is great but you're one of many, and your reign is a year long, being one of two perfect teams on the other hand.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

true football fans understand greatness. they know that the 85 Bears, and the 86 Giants, and probably the Steel Curtain Steelers and Walsh Niners and last years Patriots were better teams than the 72 Dolpins.

Richard Tanner 12-18-2005 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who won SB XXII?

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

true football fans understand greatness. they know that the 85 Bears, and the 86 Giants, and probably the Steel Curtain Steelers and Walsh Niners and last years Patriots were better teams than the 72 Dolpins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, if I didn't know better I'd swear that was an insult. Of course I realize that the 72 Fins weren't the best team of all time. Their schedule was soft as Charman (as opposed to the Colts whose schedule has been tough, and before you auto shout "NUH UH" to that, no one said it was the toughest, but it was tough). Of course the 85 Bears, recent Pats team, etc. are in the small class of teams that are "All-Galaxy", but it would've been nice for a team called "the greatest offence of all time" to have something they didn't.

Cody

thatpfunk 12-18-2005 07:32 PM

Bowens,
I used that phrase (feeling of dread) because I lack a better description. It isn't "dread," but more of an annoying thought in the back of your head and in the pit of your stomach, "[censored], they're driving. [censored] they're driving. [censored], we're not stopping them." And as the offensive team's confidence grows and they move the ball, this feeling gets more prominent. Professional athletes (I can't say all, but in general) feel these swings of confidence and momentum. Football offers an interesting little wrinkle to this because of the constant play stoppage and startage- in the huddle (or if no huddle, while the plays are being communicated) one players confidence (or "dread") is easily displayed through posture, voice inflexion, and eye contact.

I present you the following example: '88 SuperBowl, 49ers-Bengals. Ask offensive players for a story and you get the following (summary): On the very last drive everyone was in the huddle. We were very nervous and talking. Montana walked into the huddle and joked about John Candy being in the stands. Everyon laughed, we were no longer nervous, and we knew we were going to field and win the game.

Meanwhile there was an interview with a Bengal who, after scoring their go-ahead TD, watched the 49er offense walk onto the field, looked up at the timeclock and immediately thought, "Oh [censored], we left them too much time."

DMBFan23 12-18-2005 09:24 PM

the pats fans in this thread are hilarious. Indy is still the best team in the NFL.

P.S. I hope Brady and Belichick both get raped by angry, aggressive homosexual gorillas that are particularly well endowed and have HIV.

sublime 12-18-2005 09:36 PM

Indy is still the best team in the NFL

who said otherwise?