Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Muslim Groups Cheer Aquittal of Cheerleader of Islamic Terrorism (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=397091)

BluffTHIS! 12-15-2005 01:41 AM

Re: Muslim Groups Cheer Aquittal of Cheerleader of Islamic Terrorism

[ QUOTE ]
Historically, Islam is no more or less violent than other societies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recent history and not the remote past is what is at issue here.

tripp0807 12-15-2005 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Historically, Islam is no more or less violent than other societies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recent history and not the remote past is what is at issue here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well stated. Now, even the people of the book are unwelcomed.

BluffTHIS! 12-15-2005 02:12 AM

Terrorism and support of it is what is unwelcome.

ACPlayer 12-15-2005 03:31 AM

Perhaps for you this is about recent history.

If however, you want to defend the statement that Islam is the cause of terrorism then you must back it up with the history of Islam and not just the events of the recent past. The events of the recent past are driven by the recent past and not by Islam.

BluffTHIS! 12-15-2005 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The events of the recent past are driven by the recent past and not by Islam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrorists perform terrorists acts in North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Those terrorists have in common the fact that they are all Moslem and are supported and financed by other Moslems. And yet you find it unreasonable to hypothesize that their religion is a large part of their motivations.

And I again put it to you and nicky. What is important is how Moslems interpret their religious motivations as reasons of such actions, and not how liberal western non-Moslem apologists for them do. Moslems including the American ones in the news item in my OP don't have a problem with this, but you do. Why is that?

ACPlayer 12-15-2005 04:22 AM

The point is that I want to understand why the terrorists are behaving in this manner and not take a knee jerk approach by discredeting a religion where billions every day live their lives peacefully and in harmony with their neighbours.

Unfortunately, blaming Islam is easy getting the real answers is more difficult. Specially if part of the blame lies on us -- a reality we are unwilling to even consider.

BluffTHIS! 12-15-2005 04:25 AM

You didn't address my point about Moslem vs non-Moslem interpretations of actions of Moslem terrorists.

And I have no desire to "understand" a rabid dog. I just want to kill it to prevent it harming people, and to find the source of its infection as well.

ACPlayer 12-15-2005 04:37 AM

It may not be important to understand a rabid dog. It does behove us to understand it enough to kill it effectively rather than by a method that creates a pack of rabid dogs.

Action without understanding is ineffective.

BluffTHIS! 12-15-2005 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't address my point about Moslem vs non-Moslem interpretations of actions of Moslem terrorists.

[/ QUOTE ]

ACPlayer 12-15-2005 05:20 AM

True.

The point is empty and pointless except as a finger pointing exercise. Perhaps it makes you feel good.

BluffTHIS! 12-15-2005 05:29 AM

How is it a finger pointing exercise to ask why you seem to feel a need to excuse Islam as a large part of the reason for Islamic terrorism while Moslems themselves feel no such need? Your arguments are like those of some lawyer whose client confesses and gives the court the physical evidence of his crime, but keeps on shouting that his client is innocent.

ACPlayer 12-15-2005 05:34 AM

I would not excuse Islam if I thought it was a primary or secondary cause of terrorism.

I dont care what other muslims think about this. I only care to understand the real causes as best as I can.

BluffTHIS! 12-15-2005 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont care what other muslims think about this. I only care to understand the real causes as best as I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you at least willing to concede, that if Islamic teachings themselves are not a primary cause of terrorism, that nonethless the intepretations of it taught by many (mostly uneducated) mullahs and believed by large segments of the Islamic world, are in fact such a primary cause? Thus the fact that they might hold an erroneous interpretation of Islam might be the real cause? Same as if I as a Christian refused to see that the teachings of Jesus had superseded great parts of the Old Testament and insisted on carrying out lex talionis in disputes with others?

ACPlayer 12-15-2005 05:49 AM

I think the teachings of the madrasas contribute to a high level of ignorance of the modern world. The mullahs also use and twist the population to advance their political goals and enhance their powers.

This is similar to Bush fabricating evidence to advance his pet project of taking out Saddam. The same dynamic at work and the same idiots who fall for the manipulations of the powerful.

This is not an indictment of Islam or that of the 99 percent of muslims who live in peace with their neighbours. Nor is the second point an indictment of the christian faith Bush professes to have.