Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Everyday Dick Moves (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394898)

Brainwalter 12-09-2005 07:35 PM

Re: Everyday Dick Moves

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A temporary construction sign says lane closed ahead and people wait until the last second to get over, this is pretty much the cause of any construction traffic, and then when it gets really backed up people race down the open lane and try to get over, i never let these [censored] over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always race past everyone, because even though most people don't want to let you in you can always find a sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far the worst "dick move" mentioned so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Muthafuckas do this and they get got.

This is for real the only thing on the highway that absolutely makes me want to cut someone's throat. I can't stand assholes who do this. Self-important pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why if there is a backup like this, I hedge out into that lane that is closing and continue at the same speed so that i am still "in line", but none can get around me. Plus if you are doing this, the guy behind you always sees whats up and saves your spot for ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

TY sir. A guy did this last night and I backed him up. It lasted abouta quarter mile at 10 MPH and I was LMAO the whole time.

Brainwalter 12-09-2005 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Driving:

A temporary construction sign says lane closed ahead and people wait until the last second to get over, this is pretty much the cause of any construction traffic, and then when it gets really backed up people race down the open lane and try to get over, i never let these [censored] over.

Also when someone is trying to get over in the everyday situation and i use the stare ahead and act like i dont see them, its great.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely wrong. It is most effecient if everyone uses every last inch of the closing lane to merge. And the cause of the slowdown is uncooperative merging. The merging would be uncooperative no matter if it took place ten miles back, or at the last second. But using all of the available lane allows the most throughput for a given stretch of road. So I hate to tell you guys, but by not letting people in you are the dicks and are slowing everyone down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. This is one 100% correct. It is a merge so if everyone just merged at a steady pace instead on cramming into the one lane a 2 miles ahead of the end it would run smoothly.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, the one lane is a bottleneck. Throughput is the same regardless of where the merging takes place, it is almost always a function of only the one lane.

Merging COULD be done at the last second, but this wouldn't speed things up, and if people are merging earlier, and you uncooperatively try to skip all of them, you're the dick.

david050173 12-09-2005 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
am i the only one that doesn't care about tailgating when there's more than one lane? if a guy wants to go faster than me in a > 1 lane situation, he has the right to. if i'm in the left i will get over to the right so he can get by

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Most people are so self absorbed that they take everything that happens on the road as some sort of personal interaction. Its just traffic man. That's how traffic works.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats girly car/ wimpy driver talk. Real men don't get passed by anyone [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. You need to read some of the car centric boards to get a feel for some of these people. Once you realize that they are "racing" not "driving" you will understand why they can be such aholes on the road.

The other issue is the people that are self absorbed enough not to notice anything that happens on the road. You can decide which is worse.

B Dids 12-09-2005 07:52 PM

Regarding tailgating.

I'll move over if I can- but if somebody is riding my bumper and I couldn't possible go faster or move over, I will slow the [censored] down and make their life difficult. Frankly- I am a GREAT arbiter of how fast to drive, so if you want to go faster than me you're an idiot anyway, and if you're trying to crawl up my ass and it won't get anything done, we'll be doing it at a speed where you might not kill me if you hit me.

I also will do the "move over slightly to block off somebody trying to skirt by on the right when there isn't really a right lane" If Seattle people know the part of I5 just south of Northgate where you enter onto 5 from Northgate way- people are horrible there.

If somebody edges into a crosswalk that I'm in, and they're just looking hella impatient, I'll slow way down. On the other side, if they stay back and don't creep up, I'll hustle out of the way.

As my friend and I were talking about today, sometimes if somebody is being an idiot and not looking where they're walking, I'll let them run into me instead of moving. This is a good move if you're me, because they're mos def getting the bad end of that impact. (I'll only do this if they're just doing something exceptionally dumb when they should be walking).

theTourne 12-09-2005 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is completely wrong. It is most effecient if everyone uses every last inch of the closing lane to merge. And the cause of the slowdown is uncooperative merging. The merging would be uncooperative no matter if it took place ten miles back, or at the last second. But using all of the available lane allows the most throughput for a given stretch of road. So I hate to tell you guys, but by not letting people in you are the dicks and are slowing everyone down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. This is one 100% correct. It is a merge so if everyone just merged at a steady pace instead on cramming into the one lane a 2 miles ahead of the end it would run smoothly.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, the one lane is a bottleneck. Throughput is the same regardless of where the merging takes place, it is almost always a function of only the one lane.

Merging COULD be done at the last second, but this wouldn't speed things up, and if people are merging earlier, and you uncooperatively try to skip all of them, you're the dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course Brainwalter is right. It doesn't matter if everyone merges at the last second, or a mile back when they first see the contruction sign, the total system speed will be the same. Normal people are angry because a couple assholes cut down their individual wait time, and add to everyone else's.

Leaky Eye 12-09-2005 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course Brainwalter is right. It doesn't matter if everyone merges at the last second, or a mile back when they first see the contruction sign, the total system speed will be the same. Normal people are angry because a couple assholes cut down their individual wait time, and add to everyone else's.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are volumes of research on traffic patterns done by nearly every city state and national government in the world. They make for interesting readin when you are REAL bored.

The reason this is wrong is because traffic does not resume normal flow once it becomes one lane, or less lanes. The longer the lane restrictions the lower the throughput. Queueing prior to merging makes this area of lessened flow longer. And the merging difficulties are EXACTLY the same at the moment of queueing. If there is pavement that can hold a car, you want a car on it.

Leaky Eye 12-09-2005 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always race past everyone, because even though most people don't want to let you in you can always find a sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far the worst "dick move" mentioned so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Muthafuckas do this and they get got.

This is for real the only thing on the highway that absolutely makes me want to cut someone's throat. I can't stand assholes who do this. Self-important pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why if there is a backup like this, I hedge out into that lane that is closing and continue at the same speed so that i am still "in line", but none can get around me. Plus if you are doing this, the guy behind you always sees whats up and saves your spot for ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

TY sir. A guy did this last night and I backed him up. It lasted abouta quarter mile at 10 MPH and I was LMAO the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely hope that people that do this get tagged for failing to follow even the basic rules of the road. Were I a cop I would give every one of them a careless.

MikeSmith 12-09-2005 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Driving:

Also when someone is trying to get over in the everyday situation and i use the stare ahead and act like i dont see them, its great.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be one of those guys that saves a minute of their time to cause problems for everyone else, if the sign is ten miles back and everyone has merged MERGE!!!!!!!!! There is a reason they put the sign back so far its not an accident.

ISF 12-09-2005 10:44 PM

Dont know if this is everyday but several times when people took my laundry out of the washing machine to use it and placed on a surface that was dusty I have urinated in their laundry.

Leaky Eye 12-09-2005 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Driving:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be one of those guys that saves a minute of their time to cause problems for everyone else, if the sign is ten miles back and everyone has merged MERGE!!!!!!!!! There is a reason they put the sign back so far its not an accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be one of those guys that votes based on your personal wild speculation about the politicians motivations instead of trying to determine the effect of their policies. (Everything that is wrong with American democracy)

And yes my post is a much more sensible response to yours, than your was to mine.

Brainwalter 12-09-2005 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are volumes of research on traffic patterns done by nearly every city state and national government in the world. They make for interesting readin when you are REAL bored.

The reason this is wrong is because traffic does not resume normal flow once it becomes one lane, or less lanes. The longer the lane restrictions the lower the throughput. Queueing prior to merging makes this area of lessened flow longer. And the merging difficulties are EXACTLY the same at the moment of queueing. If there is pavement that can hold a car, you want a car on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK well I'm not an expert, but longer lane restrictions are not the same as cars in unrestricted lanes merging early. You might be right, but I'm not willing to concede that everyone merging half a mile earlier has the same effect as the lane restriction starting half a mile earlier. At least not without evidence.

tonypaladino 12-10-2005 02:16 AM

When I am crossing in a crosswalk, it seems that most drivers trying to make the turn fail to realize that I have the right of way and give a horn tap. As soon as the motherfuckerasswad taps on the horn I stop dead right there in the middle of the street and just stare at the driver for a good 5 minutes blocking traffic. Once this happened as I was lucky enough to be carrying a bolt cutter I had just bought at Home Depot. I got out of the guys way and as he passed I smashed his tail light in with the bolt cutter. Good times.

Edited for stupid speeeellling mistakee

dblgutshot 12-10-2005 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I am crossing in a crosswalk, it seems that most drivers trying to make the turn fail to realize that I have the right of way and give a horn tap. As soon as the motherfuckerasswad taps on the horn I stop dead right there in the middle of the street and just stare at the driver for a good 5 minutes blocking traffic. Once this happened as I was lucky enough to be carrying a bold cutter I had just bought at Home Depot. I got out of the guys way and as he passed I smashed his tail light in with the bold cutter. Good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just scares me.

Blarg 12-10-2005 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Driving:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big fan of the reverse dick moves...

Also in traffic if there are jerks driving by on the shoulder and I'm in the right lane I'll move my car half way onto the shoulder so they cant wizz by. There's really no reason for this except vindictiveness...I should stop that...

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this. Screw 'em. You can get a whole other lane going on the shoulder of the road when people do that, each car scooting up to cut in, often doing it dangerously, making it takes way more than twice as long for you when it already takes 15 minutes in grid locked traffic to get up an onramp. I'd have to be insane to give a damn about those creeps not getting their fair chance to jam in front of me.

P.S. A great pleasure of having a crap car, admittedly one of the very few, is when you see guys trying their "ballsy" moves of scooting toward your car like if you don't move and let them in you'll get hit, so you've gotta move cuz you don't have the stones to stop them -- and staying where you are while they steam and have to give up. It's a soothing feeling when their dickless ways don't get them ahead for once because you both know that if there's a collision, they're going to be the one coming out the worse for it. Sure buddy, crash your sweet new ride into my old beater. I'll be crying so hard to lose a few more flakes of rust. And any time you want to hand me a few hundred bucks, I'm up for it. Allah akbar!

mikeyvegas 12-10-2005 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I am crossing in a crosswalk, it seems that most drivers trying to make the turn fail to realize that I have the right of way and give a horn tap. As soon as the motherfuckerasswad taps on the horn I stop dead right there in the middle of the street and just stare at the driver for a good 5 minutes blocking traffic. Once this happened as I was lucky enough to be carrying a bolt cutter I had just bought at Home Depot. I got out of the guys way and as he passed I smashed his tail light in with the bolt cutter. Good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boltcutters, wow.

12-10-2005 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bolt cutters, huh. I wouldn't have corrected you

Blarg 12-10-2005 06:00 AM

Good thing. You don't want to end up another member of the thumb jar he keeps on his nightstand.

tonypaladino 12-10-2005 07:25 AM

stop telling people about the jar [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

mblax10 12-10-2005 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I like when someone is tailgaiting me and in an obvious hurry to get by, and its a 2 lane road and someone slow is in the right lane, I'll just pace them so the guy behind cant get by. But for added fun ill slow down a little bit so the car on the right gets ahead, and then when the guy behind me jumps lanes because it looks like that lane will be faster, I speed up, and when he jumps back into my lane, I slow down again. good times

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is definitely a good everyday dick move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought this was called a Mexican speedtrap, don't remember the origin. I also like to pull this move whenever the situation allows.

JihadOnTheRiver 12-10-2005 03:27 PM

Just went to Von's for some salmon/bagel breakfast action. Total was 10.98. Gave girl 15, got 4.02 back. Left Von's. Saw guy with a Santa hat, ringing the bell for the salvation army. He had no legs and was using a voice-box to speak. I reached in my pocket, around the 4 bills, grabbed the two pennies, and made my donation. He said merry xmas, I said have a nice day.

jdl22 12-10-2005 03:59 PM

Jihad,

How is that bad? Instead of giving nothing you gave $.02. While that doesn't make you a saint or anything, it's still actually is better than nothing. It's not like giving a waitress a 2 cent tip, nobody got slighted here, especially considering you're likely not the type to give anything.

JihadOnTheRiver 12-10-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
especially considering you're likely not the type to give anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be very willing to wager that I am in the upper 1% of donators at this site, to include all of the retardedly rich posters. Internet <> RL.

jba 12-10-2005 09:10 PM

so here's a dick thing I did the other day

I'm in a car sharing group, which basically means there's a whole bunch of cars parked all over the city that I can jump in and drive.

so I schedule a car and the person before me is wicked late returning it, like over 30 minutes. meanwhile my chips are being blinded off.

the person finally shows up, I get in and call the company and tell them I think there is a smell of smoke in the car but not really sure, get off the phone and roll up the windows and fire up a blunt. propably resulting in an extra $50 pop + possible cleaning fees.

OtisTheMarsupial 12-11-2005 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So basically we learn OOTers are dicks and make a lot of dick moves, but also hate other people who make dick moves and get revenge by making an even bigger dick move.

[/ QUOTE ]

That about sums it up.

Johnnyj580 12-11-2005 06:04 AM

I hope this wasn't posted b/c I'm too tired to read through the whole post.

People who fill up thier goddam waterbottles at the gym when you're waiting in line behind them for a few precious sips. "Its ok fuckhead, finish filling up your gallon jug. Why would you go to the water fountain that gets the least traffic?"

Johnnyj580 12-11-2005 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Walking to my car in a busy parking lot (especially during christmas): I like to walk down the wrong 'aisle' to my car to get cars to follow me walking to get my spot then cut into my own 'aisle' so the guy who was following me doens't get [censored]. I get pleasure from this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aahahaha. I do the exact same thing. The true challenge in this is keeping a straight face as you see the despair in thier face when you switch rows.

Isura 12-11-2005 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you. But I hate the sucker more. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

dblgutshot 12-11-2005 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Walking to my car in a busy parking lot (especially during christmas): I like to walk down the wrong 'aisle' to my car to get cars to follow me walking to get my spot then cut into my own 'aisle' so the guy who was following me doens't get [censored]. I get pleasure from this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aahahaha. I do the exact same thing. The true challenge in this is keeping a straight face as you see the despair in thier face when you switch rows.

[/ QUOTE ]

An important thing to do is when you are about to switch rows, get your keys out so they stop and think you have just reached your car. Even better if you walk behind a big truck or van so they can't can't see you and just wait for your car to pull out.