Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392929)

hhughes 12-07-2005 01:02 AM

Re: Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32

argh...no Command and Conquer???

Blarg 12-07-2005 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that Dune 2 is getting so little love is making me very sad. a)So much fun. b)Look what it unleashed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's widely respected as starting the RTS genre, but the thing is, I never met anyone who ever played it. It seemed to spend very little time in the public eye. I think it's one of those unsung heroes, except by the cognoscenti.

durron597 12-07-2005 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
argh...no Command and Conquer???

[/ QUOTE ]

Needs to be 1994 or earlier...

GameFAQs info page

I feel you dude but I had to draw the line somewhere.

12-07-2005 01:47 AM

If i missed the explanation for this, I apologize up front, but where the hell are Ms. Pacman and Gauntlett? I am very, very old

Gary

tpir90036 12-07-2005 01:51 AM

oh my goodness... Punch-out v. Mario Kart and Chrono Trigger v. Tecmo Super Bowl are brutal. All 4 of those games are in the top echelon of my all-time greatest list.

i am going to have nightmares about this,
tpir

tpir90036 12-07-2005 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
zelda rep should be ocarina
super mario rep should be super mario world

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed on both counts... but i also have to give a nod to mario 64. i know that 3d games get knocked by lots of old-school gaming fans (myself included) but mario 64 is totally amazing.

tpir90036 12-07-2005 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is that even close? You are comparing a _football game_ to one of the greatest RPGs of all time?

There really is no point in continuing this tournament any further because it is obvious that a huge portion of these people simply have no taste in video games whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is typical nerd fodder and is also utter horsesh*t. chrono trigger is my favorite RPG of all-time and i definitely picked it over tecmo super bowl. however, tecmo super bowl was way ahead of it's time as far as sports games go and was simply a fantastic game. it deserves to be in the contest.

sadly for chrono trigger more people don't know what it is. and like tetris, everyone knows tecmo bowl. so while on one hand i agree with you re: CT > TSB. i can't let you blast TSB either [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

p.s. halo sucks

TheMetetron 12-07-2005 02:04 AM

That the original Zelda for NES is not on here makes me sad.

TheMetetron 12-07-2005 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HOW IN THE [censored] IS DRAGON WARRIOR LOSING TO SIM CITY 2000?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

This is ridiculous. Obviously the average OOTiot is 12 and has never owned an NES.

There is no way that Dragon Warrior can lose against Sim City 2000. Sorry.

Clarkmeister 12-07-2005 02:08 AM

Warlords III: Darklords Rising.

TimM 12-07-2005 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pitting PC games against console games is like pitting NFL games against arena football.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I saw the title, I was thinking Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac Man, Pong, etc. I guess I am too [censored] old for this thread.

einbert 12-07-2005 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is typical nerd fodder and is also utter horsesh*t. chrono trigger is my favorite RPG of all-time and i definitely picked it over tecmo super bowl. however, tecmo super bowl was way ahead of it's time as far as sports games go and was simply a fantastic game. it deserves to be in the contest.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are wrong. I have already clearly spelled out why.

Tecmo Super Bowl might be a fun and entertaining game for some people. In particular I can see retarded people and people that cannot read without expending large amounts of mental energy preferring a football video game over a true work of art like Chrono Trigger. But the fact that it is more fun for these poor imbeciles does not make it a better game.

Most OOTers have never played the ancient strategy game Go, in fact probably more have played the recently popular online Risk. If you made a poll asking which is the better game, Risk would probably win right now. However, a true objective analysis of these games can be done. Go has more heritage, more strategy, more culture, and more thought to it than Risk. Risk is simply popular recently. This is the same reason MTV is showing Britney Spears music videos and other crap instead of Beethoven. But anyone with any clue knows that Beethoven's music is simply better than Britney Spears--regardless of what some teenagers prefer.

Euphoria is nice, and addictive. And I can see where it has its place with these fans of Tecmo Super Bowl. It has influenced them to the point where they don't really care about which game is superior, they just remember "oh wow that game was really fun." If any of these clowns were to actually play through a game like Chrono Trigger, they would realize that these two games don't deserve to be in the same league even. It's a real travesty that that has been done, and the result really shows OOT's lack of taste and basic ignorance.

But yeah, keep calling me a nerd and refuting my statements with a total lack of logic or substantial thought like everyone else in this thread already has. I'm sure that will make you feel better about yourself.

durron597 12-07-2005 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
agreed on both counts... but i also have to give a nod to mario 64. i know that 3d games get knocked by lots of old-school gaming fans (myself included) but mario 64 is totally amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

When I saw the title, I was thinking Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac Man, Pong, etc. I guess I am too [censored] old for this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Argh. Ok, for the last time:

In an attempt to make the list of games manageable, I limited myself to the following restrictions:

1) By Old School, I meant like late 80s early 90s. I forget what the date of the earliest game on here is, but 1988-1994 sounds about right.
2) So that the list wasn't swamped with a million different kinds of great games, I picked one representative game. I thought that A Link to the Past was clearly better than the original Legend of Zelda (though BOTH are awesome games), so I just put that one.

Blarg 12-07-2005 02:24 AM

I don't even know the video games you are talking about, but I loved the vigor and vinegar of your answer.

I do know Go, just not well. It has been years since I played it or read a Go book. But I know that Go is rich enough for a lifetime of study and a beautiful game.

I made a similar remark tonight about Stratego and Chess. I like Stratego better, but I know that doesn't mean it's a better game than chess.

Reef 12-07-2005 02:37 AM

Tecmo bowl beating Chrono Trigger? It's a sad, sad day. I have lost confidence in OOT's polling credibility.

12-07-2005 05:13 AM

RAMPART
mario 3
tecmo football
rbi baseball
nhl 94
top gear

winslowned
http://winslowned.ytmnd.com/

ZeeJustin 12-07-2005 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo bowl beating Chrono Trigger? It's a sad, sad day. I have lost confidence in OOT's polling credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chrono Trigger is in my top 10 favorite games of all time (maybe even top 5) but this didn't surprise me.

Most people that vote in this thread probably haven't even played half the games. You ahve to remember that. Out of people that played both, I'm pretty sure CT would be a favorite, but TSB was just way more popular. Everyone has played that game.

That's the nature of these polls.

ZeeJustin 12-07-2005 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. That was one of the first things I saw in this poll and it made me sick.

To be fair though, most of his other choices were correct.
I def agree with Megaman 2.
I agree w/ SF2 although SF2 Turbo is a minor improvement of the same game.
Mario 3: obv
Dragon Warrior is a tough one, but I prolly like the original better than DW3, so I'll agree w/ that.
Sim City should be on the list over 2000 IMO.

I'm assuming FF7 is post 1994, so FF6 is the clear choice for that one (those are my 2 favorite games of all time w/ FF7 having the very slight edge).

I personally preferred Mortal Kombat 3, but I don't think there's anything close to a concensus on those so you kind of have to go with the original I guess.

I strongly disagree with Sonic 3. You HAVE to go with the original on that one. I guess you could argue that the turbo charge thing you can do in 2 and on makes them better, but other than that, the original is just so superior.

To be honest, I've never played super metroid, but I'm surprised to see it ahead of the original nonetheless.

dankhank 12-07-2005 07:08 AM

as a former nintendo world championships official semifinalist (detroit region) circa 1992, i say this is a strong collection of games. there are some difficult first round matchups such as dragon warrior vs sim city 2000, but mike tyson's punchout vs super mario kart is an impossible choice. these are two of the top five games in the contest.

the most played titles like super mario bros 3 will be tough to beat, but there are definitely games i enjoyed more. tecmo super bowl is up there for me because of so much replayability. i liked doing whole seasons with my friends and then picking pro bowl teams based on the comprehensive stats. the computer opponents were weak though so we all used the worst teams and played their backups. i did some serious damage with tampa bay benchwarmers.

contra and mega man 2 for best side scrollers. contra for pure fun and mega man 2 for unique challenges. where is ninja gaiden?

super mario kart best overall i think

ZeeJustin 12-07-2005 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

super mario kart best overall i think

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me for speaking so bluntly sir, but that pick makes me want to puke my guts out.

Obviously it was a great game, but you went to nintendo competitions and THIS is your favorite game on the list? Are you mad?

Maybe this is another topic itself, but I think MarioKart64 was much better than its SNES counterpart. Obviously it was post 1994, so it doesn't apply to the poll, but that game had so much more depth, replayability, and more challenging aspects than the SNES version. I'm curious how you feel about this.

12-07-2005 08:39 AM

dude no offense but being a nintendo champion doesnt mean [censored] but that you didnt have a life.

I have studied the market, I am a programmer, and a lifelong gaming nerd, but I didnt feel the need to try and grow my epenis by bragging about it, jeez.

Super Mario Kart was a really good game both in popularity and history... however just because you really really really like it doesnt mean it's the best ever.

Really if you want to talk about importance, it's hard to go past NES games, since virtually all of the popular games pioneered new genres and such.

emil3000 12-07-2005 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're all idiots.
Tie Fighter going out in the first round makes me sad, but I guess Super Metroid is a bit too tough.

uncleshady 12-07-2005 08:44 AM

Where is River City Ransom...arguably the best NES game ever.

Or Raiders of the Lost Ark for the 2600? I have friends to this day who still dont belive I beat it when I was a kid.

And dont get me started on the best Pinball game ever...

durron597 12-07-2005 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
where is ninja gaiden?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be here instead of Blaster Master. Argh, good catch.

durron597 12-07-2005 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. That was one of the first things I saw in this poll and it made me sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Link to the Past is a straight up better game than the original Zelda, period.

10 reasons "A Link to the Past" is better than "Legend of Zelda"

1) The graphics are better
2) In "A Link to the Past", you get the ability to run around faster very early (Pegasus Boots). This makes running around the world a lot less tedious.
3) There's a lot less "trying" crap. For example, there is no indication in the second quest that you can walk through walls until you actually do it.
4) Similarly, it's actually possible to find everything without spending hours burning every tree and bombing every rock and blowing the whistle in every screen. Remember trying to find level 8 in the second quest? Yeah.
5) The items are cooler.
6) "A Link to the Past" had fun minigames.
7) With the whole "Master Sword"/"Dark World" plot, you get a nice boost of accomplishment in the middle of the game. Then you go "oh, crap". Great story/gameplay. Legend of Zelda is much more of a grind.
8) The enemies are more interesting when they're not restricted to all be the same size. There are no piehats in Zelda 3. The bosses are also a lot more interesting.
9) Multi-leveled dungeons made them more fun and increased the puzzle possibilities.
10) The story was a lot better, Link and Zelda and Aganhim and Sahasrahla (sp?) all at least have some sort of personality. The entire plof of Legend of Zelda is contained in the game's opening sequence which you might not even see if you just press start immediately. It's just "ok, kill a bunch of crap and free the princess".

Now, don't get me wrong. It's a great game and I loved it and beat it multiple times. But, a Link to the past is better.

durron597 12-07-2005 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ SF2 although SF2 Turbo is a minor improvement of the same game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was never a big SF player, and as far as I knew SF2 and SF2T were the same game.

[ QUOTE ]

Mario 3: obv

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think it was obvious, like I told another poster in this thread I flipped a coin vs. Super Mario World. Both are truly excellent games and this debate probably deserves its own thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Dragon Warrior is a tough one, but I prolly like the original better than DW3, so I'll agree w/ that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually never played DW3, my Dragon Warrior experience is a lot more limited than it ought to be.

[ QUOTE ]

Sim City should be on the list over 2000 IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this, 2000 added a lot of stuff including a more 3D view, hills are done a lot better, and zoning is much better than assigning 3x3 blocks.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming FF7 is post 1994, so FF6 is the clear choice for that one (those are my 2 favorite games of all time w/ FF7 having the very slight edge).

[/ QUOTE ]

FF7 is post 1994. That would have been an extremely hard choice for me if it wasn't.

[ QUOTE ]

I personally preferred Mortal Kombat 3, but I don't think there's anything close to a concensus on those so you kind of have to go with the original I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my logic.

[ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree with Sonic 3. You HAVE to go with the original on that one. I guess you could argue that the turbo charge thing you can do in 2 and on makes them better, but other than that, the original is just so superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was never much of a big Sonic player. I went with three because of the ordering on this page. I can't argue the point any better than that.

[ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I've never played super metroid, but I'm surprised to see it ahead of the original nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super Metroid is better than the original for a few reasons

1) The original is just too hard. Remember trying to get the Varia suit without the high jump boots?
2) More different weapons
3) You get to see Samus naked at the end

Jeebus 12-07-2005 10:35 AM

haven't read the responses yet, but these brackets could be better or something. Asking a question like punch out or mario kart just isn't fair to do to someone. Castlevania or FF come on.

durron597 12-07-2005 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haven't read the responses yet, but these brackets could be better or something. Asking a question like punch out or mario kart just isn't fair to do to someone. Castlevania or FF come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are sooooooooooo many good games on this list, those aren't the only two really tough ones.

tpir90036 12-07-2005 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo Super Bowl might be a fun and entertaining game for some people. In particular I can see retarded people and people that cannot read without expending large amounts of mental energy preferring a football video game over a true work of art like Chrono Trigger.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is you making fun of these people any different or better than me saying "nerd fodder"? Your verbal barbs are certainly a little more harsh than anything I said.

[ QUOTE ]
But the fact that it is more fun for these poor imbeciles does not make it a better game.

[/ QUOTE ]
To them it does. Who would prefer a game they had less fun playing? Granted, most people have not played CT. But RPGs are not for everyone (which is sad).

[ QUOTE ]
But yeah, keep calling me a nerd and refuting my statements with a total lack of logic or substantial thought like everyone else in this thread already has. I'm sure that will make you feel better about yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoa dude. Take 'er easy. For the record, I did not call you a nerd. I simply took umbrage with your view of everyone who did not agree with you being a dumb jock. I happen to love both games... and I think it's very sad that more people do not know about games like CT. In fact, I agree with everything you said if you take the personal attacks out of it! I was trying to play devil's advocate on a topic that is fun for me to discuss (being in the video game industry)....but I guess you could not hang without going to the bag o' insults. Too bad. I also tried to use both logic and thought in my responses but I guess I am just not smart enough to communciate with you properly.

Take care,
tpir

tpir90036 12-07-2005 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
where is ninja gaiden?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No way dude. Blaster Master was way ahead of it's time. That was an incredible game and I think having it on the list was a good touch. The top 64 teams in the country don't always make the NCAA tournament.... uh oh, I am talking about sports now. I must be a dumb jock!!!!

(Goes back to playing Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time on DS)
tpir

12-07-2005 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A Link to the Past is a straight up better game than the original Zelda, period.

10 reasons "A Link to the Past" is better than "Legend of Zelda"

1) The graphics are better
2) In "A Link to the Past", you get the ability to run around faster very early (Pegasus Boots). This makes running around the world a lot less tedious.
3) There's a lot less "trying" crap. For example, there is no indication in the second quest that you can walk through walls until you actually do it.
4) Similarly, it's actually possible to find everything without spending hours burning every tree and bombing every rock and blowing the whistle in every screen. Remember trying to find level 8 in the second quest? Yeah.
5) The items are cooler.
6) "A Link to the Past" had fun minigames.
7) With the whole "Master Sword"/"Dark World" plot, you get a nice boost of accomplishment in the middle of the game. Then you go "oh, crap". Great story/gameplay. Legend of Zelda is much more of a grind.
8) The enemies are more interesting when they're not restricted to all be the same size. There are no piehats in Zelda 3. The bosses are also a lot more interesting.
9) Multi-leveled dungeons made them more fun and increased the puzzle possibilities.
10) The story was a lot better, Link and Zelda and Aganhim and Sahasrahla (sp?) all at least have some sort of personality. The entire plof of Legend of Zelda is contained in the game's opening sequence which you might not even see if you just press start immediately. It's just "ok, kill a bunch of crap and free the princess".

Now, don't get me wrong. It's a great game and I loved it and beat it multiple times. But, a Link to the past is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely hands down you have become my favorite poster. Im not sure if I'd rather play against you in some video games or start some random nerd argument... sounds like fun either way.

River City Ransom... dear god someone just tell me what happens when you beat it, I never have, and likely never will.

ty.

durron597 12-07-2005 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
where is ninja gaiden?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No way dude. Blaster Master was way ahead of it's time. That was an incredible game and I think having it on the list was a good touch. The top 64 teams in the country don't always make the NCAA tournament.... uh oh, I am talking about sports now. I must be a dumb jock!!!!

(Goes back to playing Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time on DS)
tpir

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Populous II, then? I feel like an idiot for not including Ninja Gaiden but I don't know who should have come out for it.

Cancuk 12-07-2005 12:35 PM

I guess i wasn't really around for the nominations in this poll and maybe i'm missing something; but the simple fact that both Duckhunt and Blades of Steel arn't here is unforgivable.

astroglide 12-07-2005 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgive me for speaking so bluntly sir, but that pick makes me want to puke my guts out.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg, are you using an american beauty 'quote'? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

you may be the worst movie quoter ever

astroglide 12-07-2005 12:39 PM

p.s. you guys need to replay river city ransom to see how much you like it now. i absolutely loved it then too.

12-07-2005 12:40 PM

yeah, I might try it out.

12-07-2005 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess i wasn't really around for the nominations in this poll and maybe i'm missing something; but the simple fact that both Duckhunt

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/8105/duckhunt6qh.jpg

tpir90036 12-07-2005 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
p.s. you guys need to replay river city ransom to see how much you like it now. i absolutely loved it then too.

[/ QUOTE ]
River City Ransom EX for Gameboy Advance is very good if people are not down with emulators for some reason.

tpir90036 12-07-2005 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Populous II, then? I feel like an idiot for not including Ninja Gaiden but I don't know who should have come out for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe. I think you included enough of the top PC games (X-Com, Doom, etc.) and maybe could have left off Populous.

Cry Me A River 12-07-2005 01:13 PM

I realise this has been mentioned before but I'm going to harp on it again... This is NOT and "Old School" poll, it's more like "Middle School". It'd be like doing a "Classic Rock" poll and starting with Nirvana...