Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Nominations for Best "Rock" Album of 2005 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387685)

pryor15 11-29-2005 04:43 PM

Re: Nominations for Best \"Rock\" Album of 2005

[ QUOTE ]

You think the film that is recognized as the best is also the most popular?

[/ QUOTE ]

almost never. and it usually isn't even the best. the best picture winners are frequently only the 7th or 8th best film of the year. usually the best film of the year gets ignored until people start to discover it on dvd a year or two later.

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that Sufjan made such ridiculous song names to irk people who would judge him solely based on his song titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played right into his trap!

although I don't judge him solely on his song title;, I also judge him by his Scout uniform

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3383/sufjan24nn.jpg

what a unique look!

[/ QUOTE ]

You should see him in the cheerleader outfits. FWIW, ridiculously hot cheerleading chicks for background singers.

CollinEstes 11-29-2005 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
given that its the only objective way to judge something like this you have to take it into account. What makes the albums you listed good, and why should I believe that they are better than what the masses like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Attempting to objectify (is that a word?) appreciation of art through a direct correlation with popularity is comically retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

you made a list of the 10 best rock albums of 2005 without including a single band that is widely popular. if this was CMI's 10 favorite albums of 2005 that would make sense, but its not. Note the 5 artists/bands you listed as the greatest of all time. What did they all have in common? the fact that they were all widely popular. It is the same in any art form. Those who are recognized as the greatest in their field are those who were most popular in their field. I agree that their is room for listing artists that are not so popular among the best, but to have a top 10 list not include any popular artist at all is as you would say "comically retarded".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, what about movies? Taking away Titanic, when was the last high gross movie nominated for an Oscar for best picture? Should I call the Academy idiotic for not nominating [censored] Charlies Angels or Men in Black?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the second greatest movie of all time wasn't seen by anybody, I don't even remember what it was called. The God-something. Oh well.

phage 11-29-2005 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is basically an "i'm trying to prove I am very edgy and you aren't..." thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far no one here has listed an "edgy" band. They play this [censored] on nissan comercials and [censored] over nip and tuck!

[/ QUOTE ]
All I am saying is that someone will make a list, others will say this is crap/I've never heard of them/[blank] is better. If this were a "my top ten etc" list then so be it but a best of the year just brings out people's need to one up one another.

pryor15 11-29-2005 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that Sufjan made such ridiculous song names to irk people who would judge him solely based on his song titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

although I don't judge him solely on his song titles; I also judge him by his Scout uniform

what a unique look!

[/ QUOTE ]

that's so 2 albums ago. you've foolishly included a picture of "Sufjan Stevens and the Michigan Militia" into a discussion of "Sufjan Stevens and the Illinoisemakers". not cool

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is basically an "i'm trying to prove I am very edgy and you aren't..." thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far no one here has listed an "edgy" band. They play this [censored] on nissan comercials and [censored] over nip and tuck!

[/ QUOTE ]
All I am saying is that someone will make a list, others will say this is crap/I've never heard of them/[blank] is better. If this were a "my top ten etc" list then so be it but a best of the year just brings out people's need to one up one another.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are entirely wrong dude. This is what you expect it to be. It is not the reality.

<font color="white"> (This is exactly where I wanted this thread to go by the way, you think i give a [censored] what you guys think about music? I am clearly the superior voice around here) </font>

Soul Daddy 11-29-2005 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
But the only people that are doing any such thing are the anti-"hipsters" who haven't heard of most or any of this. And the anti-Audioslave contingent. We Sufjan fans are a peaceful bunch.

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
given that its the only objective way to judge something like this you have to take it into account. What makes the albums you listed good, and why should I believe that they are better than what the masses like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Attempting to objectify (is that a word?) appreciation of art through a direct correlation with popularity is comically retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

you made a list of the 10 best rock albums of 2005 without including a single band that is widely popular. if this was CMI's 10 favorite albums of 2005 that would make sense, but its not. Note the 5 artists/bands you listed as the greatest of all time. What did they all have in common? the fact that they were all widely popular. It is the same in any art form. Those who are recognized as the greatest in their field are those who were most popular in their field. I agree that their is room for listing artists that are not so popular among the best, but to have a top 10 list not include any popular artist at all is as you would say "comically retarded".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, what about movies? Taking away Titanic, when was the last high gross movie nominated for an Oscar for best picture? Should I call the Academy idiotic for not nominating [censored] Charlies Angels or Men in Black?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the second greatest movie of all time wasn't seen by anybody, I don't even remember what it was called. The God-something. Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

So once every 20 years, the popular and "best" line up? The Godfather is an exception to the rule. Come on...

Soul Daddy 11-29-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

although I don't judge him solely on his song titles; I also judge him by his Scout uniform

what a unique look!

[/ QUOTE ]

I smell an avatar bet...

Eurotrash 11-29-2005 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[that's so 2 albums ago. you've foolishly included a picture of "Sufjan Stevens and the Michigan Militia" into a discussion of "Sufjan Stevens and the Illinoisemakers". not cool

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously can't win with you people. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

ThaSaltCracka 11-29-2005 04:50 PM

Common-Be

phage 11-29-2005 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are entirely wrong dude. This is what you expect it to be. It is not the reality.

<font color="white"> (This is exactly where I wanted this thread to go by the way, you think i give a [censored] what you guys think about music? I am clearly the superior voice around here) </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
A superior voice...but your choice still sucks...after all I've never heard of it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CallMeIshmael 11-29-2005 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
since we have the Murderer's Row of hipsters focusing on this thread, this might be a good time to ask the question that I've been pondering for a while

why are the band names/album titles/song titles so gay nowadays?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll offer this as exhibit A. Sufjan Steven's new album

http://img342.imageshack.us/img342/4843/sufjan16kc.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant, imo.

I lost it when I saw that.

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A superior voice...but your choice still sucks...after all I've never heard of it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I ever get off my lazy ass, Ill post songs from my old hardcore band.

MEbenhoe 11-29-2005 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well if we're using oscars to qualify the best movie, then i guess we can use grammy's to qualify the best music. Seeing how none of the albums you or CMI mentioned will even get nominated for album of the year this year, I guess you're both wrong.

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well if we're using oscars to qualify the best movie, then i guess we can use grammy's to qualify the best music. Seeing how none of the albums you or CMI mentioned will even get nominated for album of the year this year, I guess you're both wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Wilco's album which was heralded (by the hipsters) as the best album of 2003, won 2 awards. I guarantee Beck's Guero will be nominated this year. I can see Bloc Party being nominated for best new artist...etc.

MEbenhoe 11-29-2005 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, Wilco's album which was heralded (by the hipsters) as the best album of 2003, won 2 awards. I guarantee Beck's Guero will be nominated this year. I can see Bloc Party being nominated for best new artist...etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beck and Wilco are both popular. and cmon even Ace of Base won best new artist.

SL__72 11-29-2005 05:00 PM

I'm going to have to nominate Z by My Morning Jacket as no one has yet. Probably my favorite album of the year... but I haven't listened to Illinois at all yet. The National is a good one too.

Does someone want to post a song or two from Illinois to convince me to buy it? The only album by Sufjan I've spent time listening to is "A Sun Came" and I'm not a huge fan so far.

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beck and Wilco are both popular. and cmon even Ace of Base won best new artist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wilco is popular now. That album got dropped by Warner Bros. because they didn't think it would be marketable. Why can't people, who obviously spend the time to learn and listen to a broader range of music find "new Wilcos and Becks" like The National and Sufjan.

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to nominate Z by My Morning Jacket as no one has yet. Probably my favorite album of the year... but I haven't listened to Illinois at all yet. The National is a good one too.

Does someone want to post a song or two from Illinois to convince me to buy it? The only album by Sufjan I've spent time listening to is "A Sun Came" and I'm not a huge fan so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll post some stuff tonight.

RunDownHouse 11-29-2005 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sufjan, for sure, but i'll throw in a vote for My Morning Jacket's "Z"

[/ QUOTE ]

CallMeIshmael 11-29-2005 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't people, who obviously spend the time to learn and listen to a broader range of music find "new Wilcos and Becks" like The National and Sufjan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its easier to let others do it for you.

It wouldnt shock me if the shins become a lot more mainstream after their next album.

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why can't people, who obviously spend the time to learn and listen to a broader range of music find "new Wilcos and Becks" like The National and Sufjan.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldnt shock me if the shins become a lot more mainstream after their next album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err thats not what I meant. But yes, I agree with the shins statement.

ThaSaltCracka 11-29-2005 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]yeah, that went way over his head.

Just because of you Matt, I will check this clown out.

pryor15 11-29-2005 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"a sun came" isn't all that good, he was still trying to find his sound

link to "Casmir Pulaski Day"

this song is just awesome.

istewart 11-29-2005 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "a lot more mainstream," you mean "every single person over the age of 16 already has heard of them," then I agree.

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You like pinback right? you'll like this.

mmbt0ne 11-29-2005 05:23 PM

Circa Survive - Juturna

I'm glad I'm the first person to say this. Now when all you are talking about it later I brag how much better I am than you fools.

Georgia Avenue 11-29-2005 05:42 PM

Grunching because this Thread is LONG, and contains too much indierock for my eyes.

Detroit Cobras: Baby
White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan
Kills: No wow
Late Registration

and of course Thee M**T*ER*UC*N Iran-Contras new ablum,"That's We Rapping" which is for all intensive purposes...out.

RunDownHouse 11-29-2005 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which is for all intensive purposes

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard someone say this once and thought that I simply misheard, until my friends convinced me otherwise. Quick, edit!

samjjones 11-29-2005 05:57 PM

This annoys me even more than "could of".

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
which is for all intensive purposes

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard someone say this once and thought that I simply misheard, until my friends convinced me otherwise. Quick, edit!

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably need to tell him its intents.

SL__72 11-29-2005 06:07 PM

What?? Hes only talking about the most intensive purposes, ya know? Like purposes that are super intense.

ThaSaltCracka 11-29-2005 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You like pinback right? you'll like this.

[/ QUOTE ]I will give it a try, but I will DL it.

CallMeIshmael 11-29-2005 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I really didnt like his old stuff, and I really like Illinois.

NLSoldier 11-29-2005 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
audioslave - out of exile

its not close

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!

edit-i think it also qualifies as best album of the millenium thus far.

SammyKid11 11-29-2005 06:33 PM

Re: Nominations for Best \"Rock\" Album of 2005 - The Hipster Debate

Okay, here's the deal, guys.

I work in music. I'm an artist, a label owner, a record producer. And sure, I've heard of your Iron &amp; Wine's, your Sufjan's, and your National's of the world. However, when I listen to stuff like this, I'm generally reminded that the only way I would ever truly get "into" it was if I did the same amount of drugs that I did in college.

There is a REASON this stuff isn't popular, ya'll...and it has nothing to do with corporate radio conspiracies or closed-minded fans. It has to do with the fact that it simply isn't music that is DESIGNED to connect with large numbers of people. Now, I'm not saying none of it is good music. Some of it is.

And some of it is really low-budget, tinny-sounding, badly-produced, quirky-for-the-sake-of-quirky, our-drummer-couldn't-find-beat-one-bar-one-with-a-sawed-off-shotgun-at-twelve-paces, our-autotuner-is-ready-to-simply-decapitate-our-vocalist, oh-my-god-I'm-so-cool-because-no-one-gets-me horse crap that sounds like it was recorded inside my toilet bowl.

And if that's your thing, then cool. What I won't do is grant that you're cooler than me because I truly, honestly believe that Out of Exile is, hands-down, THE best rock album of the year. Let's forget for a second that most of the stuff you "hipsters" are talking about isn't even rock, based on anything but the very loosest definitions of the word. Let's simply focus on the wealth of great songwriting, powerful arrangements, superior vocal performances, exciting solos, and exquisite production values on that particular album. For people to laugh and joke about the fact that it was nominated just SCREAMS that whoever did knows NOTHING about music. If it's not your thing to like music BECAUSE alot of other people like it, fine (though that's more closed-minded than what you accuse popular-music fans of being). But to have a problem with an album of that magnitude being nominated for best ROCK album of 2005 truly shows your ass.

As for me, in terms of a new artist who I like immensely, I'll go with Augustana's "Stars and Boulevards." That album has a lot of depth, changes gears very nicely, and the singer's not all that accurate - so it should give you indie-heads something to get excited about.

Anyway, that's my rant.

scrub 11-29-2005 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's almost that time...

I'll begin. As much as no album has ever affected me as much as Illinois. In fact, I doubt I will ever like an album more than that. I have to say that overall, the best album that came out in 05 is The National - Alligator.

Et tu?

[/ QUOTE ]

Claiming that Illinois is a "rock" album is a stretch.

scrub

uw_madtown 11-29-2005 06:48 PM

I wrote lots about how stupid this "I HAVEN'T HEARD OF THEM THEY CAN'T BE THE BEST" argument is, but it just kept going and going. So instead of writing an essay on pop culture, the history of mass media, and how one evaluates the quality of art and entertainment, I'll just insist that it's stupid. Because it is really, really [censored] stupid.

In other news, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Spoon's Gimme Fiction and New Pornographer's Twin Cinema, among many other albums listed here.

IndieMatty 11-29-2005 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's almost that time...

I'll begin. As much as no album has ever affected me as much as Illinois. In fact, I doubt I will ever like an album more than that. I have to say that overall, the best album that came out in 05 is The National - Alligator.

Et tu?

[/ QUOTE ]

Claiming that Illinois is a "rock" album is a stretch.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have just put "indie". Yes, this album is not rock and roll. More like folk.