Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   New Thread For Discussion of New Mods (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379427)

astroglide 11-17-2005 01:52 AM

Re: New Thread For Discussion of New Mods

you say i 'started a debate' and make it sound like it's a bad thing to let the midhigh guys weigh in on it. does it hurt to read their thoughts? bobby announced he was going to take it to them too. as far as 'probably a handful of posters' taking task with it, is that pure conjecture?

the idea of waltzing in a buddy doesn't sound absurd when he's sending biased PMs based on incomplete private data given to him by a mod. and for the final time, he was shot down by me long before he sent that message. it didn't change my opinion about him, it made me wonder what the hell was going on over here.

i became a mod because [censored] asked mat for me to operate in his stead. i have no personal relationship with him, no real interaction on the forum, and we had never exchanged a PM. angrycola, a mod with whom i had just gotten in an argument, contacted mat to support me. that is how the ball got rolling.

as far as considering others' opinions instead of shutting them down, i agreed with you/bobby and completely reversed my position on the midhigh split less than 24 hours ago. remember?

AngryCola 11-17-2005 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
angrycola, a mod with whom i had just gotten in an argument, contacted mat to support me. that is how the ball got rolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Actually I didn't contact Mat about you until after the decision had been made. It completely slipped my mind. I was going to do it, but then one thing or another caused me to forget about it.

On the day Mat put up the thread in OOT about you, I realized that I had never sent the PM. After seeing the thread, I immediately sent him a PM about it, but the decision had already been made. It doesn't matter, though. You are still a good choice, and nobody needed my recommendation to see that is the case.

Sorry about the hijack, but it seemed like a good idea to post this here.

Another post about jason:

From my last post about him, it should be obvious that I don't know enough about his character. Because of this, it probably was inappropriate for me to make a post about him possibly being a mod. I'll let the people who have a better understanding of him and his history give the real opinions here.

Surfbullet 11-17-2005 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you say i 'started a debate' and make it sound like it's a bad thing to let the midhigh guys weigh in on it. does it hurt to read their thoughts? bobby announced he was going to take it to them too.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I agree that there should be a poll or discussion etc started in Mid-high about what was happening. However, a 2-liner "how do we split this forum up" isn't going to give the correct info / generate the same response as "there are a bunch of players who are in limbo and don't have a forum to post their hands. Your forum will for the most part stay the same, can we make a "mid" forum where these wastrel posts can go?" etc etc.

[ QUOTE ]
as far as 'probably a handful of posters' taking task with it, is that pure conjecture?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about it and looked back and I think between a couple of IMs I got and a vague impression of resentment I got from some regulars as split issues were debated I may have overestimated this. Your post in mid-high following the debate here was a bit forward given that it came off as "lets rally support for my ideas" rather than "lets find out if this good idea can be made to work with the current mid-high forum"... especially after bobbyi (the current MH mod!) had already said he was going to bring it to his forum before it happened.

[ QUOTE ]
and for the final time, he was shot down by me long before he sent that message.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. No worries, he wasn't happening anyway, and we're not short on candidates! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
as far as considering others' opinions instead of shutting them down, i agreed with you/bobby and completely reversed my position on the midhigh split less than 24 hours ago. remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed! I got interrupted a few times writing that post and there was a paragrah that didn't make it to the final cut where I talked about how I was impressed with your willingness to change your mind in the face of effective arguments.

I wish it would have been in there. Rest assured i'm well aware of it, and quite happy as a result. I'd hate to have a strong-willed, unyielding new mod. However, having another strong-willed, yet surprisingly open-minded(you surprised me with that turnaround [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) mod will hopefully encourage well-thought out debate instead of flame wars.

This got really blown out of proportion and I probably didn't word some of my previous posts optimally. I'm really stoked to see all of these changes happening and the level of involvement by regulars and mods is inspiring.

Surf

astroglide 11-17-2005 01:32 PM

it was apparently assumed that i was aware of tstone's "open letter" in nvg, but i only read it for the first time late last night.

that's why it seemed i 'chose not to address' the homeless people in the mh poll. i only read mh and oot, and i was speaking from that point of view. i can see how people got the impression that i was being obstinate in opposition to such overwhelming support, but i wasn't aware that the homeless problem was nearly that big or that the split concept already had such a diverse groundswell. analyzing the mh poll responses and re-reading opinions in here is what changed my mind. i'm certainly patting myself on the back over being able to go 180 degrees without the body of evidence (open letter and the ss forum) that so many others had!

i don't fault anybody for assuming i was aware of such an apparently popular thread, especially since i just noticed it was pointed out in the mod forum.....1 day before i became a moderator. but i think this situation illustrates how much easier things could have been if 'the basics' were called out in mat's change thread. i still would have been naturally reluctant to make any big changes that might affect mh, but i think it's obvious what a difference it could have made on my perspective since it was instrumental in shaping yours.

as far as posting the mh poll goes, i did it before bobby suggested he was going to. i wouldn't pre-empt him.

Surfbullet 11-17-2005 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was apparently assumed that i was aware of tstone's "open letter" in nvg, but i only read it for the first time late last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, things are making alot more sense now. I had incorrectly assumed that the mods had all seen the link, in retrospect there was nothing about splitting mid-high in the title so it seems it was a silly assumption.

Your behavior had seemed so irrational at the time, given what I assumed to be common knowledge among the mods - it makes alot more sense now. As you said, we should make sure everyone has the same information to work from in the future.

Surf

MrWookie47 11-17-2005 02:27 PM

After the little segue we've been having, I want to kinda get things back on track, or at least recount what's come up so far so that the two discussions can continue in parallel. Anyway, here are the forums that will be affected, who we're considering to mod them, and whatever:

Higher Stakes:
-Dcifrthis for sure.
-Someone else of his choosing.

Mid Stakes:
-Entity for sure.
-Evan likely (where is he? Evan, chime in, bro!)
-Outside chance at someone else (listed under SS)

Small Stakes:
-GoT for sure.
-QTip is a respected poster who would like the job, but who isn't going to be on as much as some. Some of us aren't as enthusiastic about him as we are jason_t.
-jason_t is another respected poster who has very strong support of some of us. Others have some reservations about his quibbling with Dynasty, but those reservations could be mediated.
-Either of these two could be good choices for Mid if Evan wants to do SS. QTip was saying he was planning on making 15/30 his home shortly, even though he's been dallying in 2/4 some.
-There has been mention of Jake the Snake and W. Deranged. There has not been much discussion.
-TStoneMBD is out.

Microlimit
-Gregatron for sure
-Should I stay on at micro even though I'll be moving to SSSH dominantly? I could.
-Greg and I have discussed making VoraciousReader a mod. She's fairly new, but she has a great attitude, and unlike either of us, she plays both microlimits AND full ring. She's also started doing the Micro Digest, so making her a mod would help her in that regard. I just heard back from her. She'd like the job.

Mid-High Short:
-Surfbullet for sure
-Josh. virtually for sure
-Is this where Robk will go?
-Schneids may mod this too.
-Do we need 4 mods here?

Small Stakes Short:
-Me for sure
-StellarWind would like the job.
-I had mentioned JaxUp, but I think the idea of having a HUSH regular and a micro regular mod SSSH is better than two micro guys so as to better appeal to former HUSH posters.
-I haven't contacted cartman.
-I haven't seen Michal Davis posting, and I saw a post saying he was gone. I don't think he's a good choice, then.

Forum Suggestions:
-Microbob for sure. This guy deserves to go green.
-I don't think we'll need another, at least not right off the bat.

Beats, Brags, and Variance:
-Dids volunteered if no one wanted it.
-I'd like to see JaxUp get the job. He's a solid poster with a good, helpful attitude, and he's been active in the Microlimit's Designated No Content threads, which this forum will replace. He's had a good eye for the humor in this sort of stuff.

Jeff W.
-There was talk of making him a mod. I have no idea of what. MHSH? Mid? High?

That should do it, but there may be something I forgot. Say so if there is.

Evan 11-17-2005 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mid Stakes:
-Entity for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
I responded earlier and said I'd like the mid stakes job.

[ QUOTE ]
Small Stakes:
-GoT for sure.
-QTip is a respected poster who would like the job, but who isn't going to be on as much as some. Some of us aren't as enthusiastic about him as we are jason_t.
-jason_t is another respected poster who has very strong support of some of us. Others have some reservations about his quibbling with Dynasty, but those reservations could be mediated.
-Either of these two could be good choices for Mid if Evan wants to do SS. QTip was saying he was planning on making 15/30 his home shortly, even though he's been dallying in 2/4 some.
-There has been mention of Jake the Snake and W. Deranged. There has not been much discussion.
-TStoneMBD is out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd vote for jason_t over QTip and W. Deranged over everyone.

[ QUOTE ]
Mid-High Short:
-Surfbullet for sure
-Do we need 4 mods here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything wrong with having 4 mods in what will hopefully turn out to be one of the top strategy forums on the site. Where is RobK? I had never even heard of him before he became a mod and I really haven't heard much of him since either. In fact, I'm starting to believe RobK isn't a real person. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

MrWookie47 11-17-2005 02:45 PM

Sorry, I must have missed you. Yeah, I didn't recognize you w/ your new avatar. Anyway, it looks like we have mid stakes settled, then. Good! Care to offer a few words of why you'd pick W. Deragned over jason_t?

astroglide 11-17-2005 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Higher Stakes:
-Dcifrthis for sure.
-Someone else of his choosing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't see why this decision shouldn't be made by committee

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff W.

[/ QUOTE ]

mid was why i brought him up, but other forums would probably be fine

bobbyi 11-17-2005 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mid Stakes:
-Entity for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
I should be mod for mid-stakes because I am currently a mod for mid-high but don't play "high" and am only there for the mid part of it. Mid stakes should be me, Evan and Entity and then I think it is set.

[ QUOTE ]
QTip is a respected poster who would like the job, but who isn't going to be on as much as some. Some of us aren't as enthusiastic about him as we are jason_t.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be much more enthusiastic about QTip. He seems like an ideal small stakes moderator, except for his time constraints. I know that jason is friends with many of the current moderators, but I agree with astro that that sort of clique-ishness is hopefully not how things are decided. I used to post in small stakes and mostly stopped because the cliqueishness annoyed me and jason_t seemed to be one the worst in terms of trying to have it be a little club with him and his friends which I found very offputting.

[ QUOTE ]

Mid-High Short:
-Surfbullet for sure
-Do we need 4 mods here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I really think Schneids should get this. I say Surf, Josh and Schneids and leave Robk in SSH. Three moderators is fine. Since Robk isn't very active anyway, I don't see why he should be taking Schneids' rightful spot in the new forum.

[ QUOTE ]
Small Stakes Short:
-Me for sure
-I had mentioned JaxUp, but I think the idea of having a HUSH regular and a micro regular mod SSSH is better than two micro guys so as to better appeal to former HUSH posters.
-I haven't seen Michal Davis posting, and I saw a post saying he was gone. I don't think he's a good choice

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you and Stellarwind (and Robk) would be sufficient.

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff W.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd love to see him be a mod, but there really doesn't seem to be a spot for him unless DCifr thinks he should be in high. Since Jeff has been mainly active in HUSH, I can see that it might make more sense to give a high spot to someone who contributes a lot in mid-high today.

MrWookie47 11-17-2005 03:45 PM

Yeah, I guess that's reasonable. However, he should probably have the biggest vote. He hasn't mentioned anyone by name, though. I guess I should have mentioned that we've tossed out the names of bk and james282, but we haven't disuccsed them much.

By that same token, GoT is entitled to the biggest say in who takes up SS with him.

B Dids 11-17-2005 03:46 PM

FWIW- my interest in the BBV forum is probably at a higher level than "if nobody else wants it".

I'd gleefully co-mod with Jax. More than one mod is always a good thing.

Surfbullet 11-17-2005 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Mid Stakes:
-Entity for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think JeffW would make an excellent mid-stakes mod, if he was interested.

[ QUOTE ]

Mid-High Short:
-Surfbullet for sure
-Do we need 4 mods here?

Small Stakes Short:
-Me for sure
-I haven't seen Michal Davis posting, and I saw a post saying he was gone. I don't think he's a good choice, then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be a temp mod in SSHUSH to ease the transition and move posts around immediately after the split, if it will help. While I plan on spending most of my time in MHUSH i feel an obligation to SSHUSH because Ive assured many lower-stakes regulars that the general atmosphere in SSHUSH will be the same is in HUSH now, and the best way I can help is by posting and having my presence known after the split.
I think MrWookie and Stellar will do an excellent job and I would let them run the show, however.

When I became HUSH mod Robk told me he was basically turning the reins over to me, as he was getting tired of the position. Leaving him in SSHUSH is probably fine, maybe he'll chime in and let us know.

For MHUSH I think that looks good. If that's set, when can I get in touch with Schneids and Josh.? I'd prefer to have some discussion with them beforehand so we are all on the same page.

Surf

MrWookie47 11-17-2005 04:03 PM

OK, putting robk on SSSH is fine. It'll look less weird to have two forums w/ three mods than one forum w/ 4, even though it doesn't seem to make much of a difference where robk ends up.

Will mid stakes need 3 mods? I'm a little skeptical since it might be a little low on traffic to start out with. I take it Jeff W. isn't a high stakes player, and he wouldn't fit in there very well.

Having you as a temp mod sounds fine. I could shuffle posts as necessary if you want, but listing you there might make things easier to start. I guess SSSH will be the one with four mods then. Heh.

Dids and Jax as BBV mods? Sounds fine to me. It might actually need two mods, since I could see it turning into a high traffic, high flame zone pretty quickly.

astroglide 11-17-2005 04:16 PM

i think the best choice for high stakes would be a vocal veteran like diablo, paluka, clarkmeister, ja sucker, etc.

anybody along those lines that's active enough, interested, and balanced.

durron597 11-17-2005 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the best choice for high stakes would be a vocal veteran like diablo, paluka, clarkmeister, ja sucker, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be in favor of all of those people if they want the job.

In fact I would value Diablo's advice in this thread before we make these changes.

MrWookie47 11-17-2005 04:33 PM

I haven't seen clark posting recently. Is he still around? Also, you want to PM any of those guys to see if they're interested?

bobbyi 11-17-2005 04:41 PM

So is everyone agreed on the mods for the shorthanded forums? Are the only open questions at this point who we want to pull in for the openings in the small and higher(full) forums?

bobbyi 11-17-2005 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be a temp mod in SSHUSH to ease the transition and move posts around immediately after the split, if it will help.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is truly "temporary", I think we need to agree on a timeframe (something like two weeks? more?). If we don't, I think you will end up staying as a moderator there forever. That scenario isn't automatically bad, but I think it needs to be clear exactly what we are planning to do rather than agreeing to one thing and having something else happen.

Surfbullet 11-17-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be a temp mod in SSHUSH to ease the transition and move posts around immediately after the split, if it will help.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is truly "temporary", I think we need to agree on a timeframe (something like two weeks? more?). If we don't, I think you will end up staying as a moderator there forever. That scenario isn't automatically bad, but I think it needs to be clear exactly what we are planning to do rather than agreeing to one thing and having something else happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. 2 weeks should be more than enough, IMO. If it things settle down sooner or if the other SSHUSH mods think I should stick around longer we can always change it but that seems like a good plan.

Surf

MrWookie47 11-17-2005 05:01 PM

I think one week would probably be enough. If you wanted to stick around for two, that would be fine by me.

As for the forums, yeah, it looks like we need only fill SS and HS, unless someone claims that Dids only wants to mod BBV because he wants to flame n00bs and their 14 BB downswings [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

bobbyi 11-17-2005 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the forums, yeah, it looks like we need only fill SS and HS

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, let's figure this out so we can be done and make a final list. What are thoughts on W. Deranged? Evan said he was the best choice for SS and no one seemed to really either agree or disagree. Maybe Evan can elaborate on this pick? Anyone have feelings one way or the other?

More thoughts on HS mods? Paluka was mentioned by both Dcifr and Astro. He seems to be consistently active in that forum. Thoughts on him? Other suggestions?

MrWookie47 11-17-2005 06:25 PM

We should send them PM's and find out if they're even interested. I would do it myself, but I'm about to step out, and I won't be back at a computer until much later tonight. Can someone else PM them?

Evan 11-17-2005 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are thoughts on W. Deranged? Evan said he was the best choice for SS and no one seemed to really either agree or disagree. Maybe Evan can elaborate on this pick?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry I haven't been very active in this thread. I spend the middle part of the day at school and that seems to be when most of you post a lot.

I think he has a few qualities that are important:
-He seems like a pretty bright guy
-He writes very well imo
-He is a pretty good player imo (which is important, whether it should be or not)
-He spends a lot of time in SS

I think most of the SS forum would agree with me on these points. IMO that makes him a good mod choice.

Evan 11-17-2005 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't disagree with any of these guys being made mods, but I doubt any of them will want to do it. If any of them are willing I can't imagine anyone objecting.

Evan 11-17-2005 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
james282

[/ QUOTE ]
I just talked to him and he said he's willing to do it if he's chosen. Personally I think he'd make a great mod for the same reasons I think W. Deranged would.

nolanfan34 11-17-2005 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be in favor of all of those people if they want the job.

In fact I would value Diablo's advice in this thread before we make these changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, we need to run things by Diablo now before making changes? I know what you're saying, but still.

While any of the above mentioned guys would be great, I'm pretty sure they've all expressed little to no interest in having that responsibility. I think the choices mentioned so far throughout the thread would all be good.

I also think multiple mods is a good thing, except in the Sporting Events forum, where I rule with an iron fist. Even Chuck and Mat aren't listed as mods in that forum! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

astroglide 11-17-2005 07:19 PM

diablo is out, and clarkmeister has a full mailbox but he's probably out anyw

i seriously doubt the mod subject has been raised with ja sucker and paluka. i sent them both a pm. i also popped andyfox about it.

durron597 11-17-2005 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, we need to run things by Diablo now before making changes? I know what you're saying, but still.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, of course not, I'm just saying I would value his opinion, but it's not like we need to run it by him or anything.

[ QUOTE ]
Even Chuck and Mat aren't listed as mods in that forum! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck and Mat aren't mods of STT, either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

astroglide 11-17-2005 08:12 PM

pikula is cool with his name being in the hat

B Dids 11-17-2005 08:20 PM

Unexpected, but highly awesome.

astroglide 11-17-2005 08:26 PM

i have an associates degree from charm school

Dynasty 11-17-2005 09:01 PM

This thread is too long. But, I think I got the jist of it when I stopped 2/3 of the way through.

jason_t got suspended for a few days for trolling OOT. He deserved that suspension.

But, I don't have an overall problem with him. More importantly, it shouldn't prevent him from becoming a mod if he wants to and others think he can do the job.

durron597 11-17-2005 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is too long. But, I think I got the jist of it when I stopped 2/3 of the way through.

jason_t got suspended for a few days for trolling OOT. He deserved that suspension.

But, I don't have an overall problem with him. More importantly, it shouldn't prevent him from becoming a mod if he wants to and others think he can do the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification Dynasty.

bobbyi 11-17-2005 09:29 PM

Re: New Thread For Discussion of New Mods (Edited)

So is anyone opposed to W. Deranged for SS? If he's okay, do we also want either QTip or jason_t as a third moderator or is W.D + GoT sufficient?

What about HS? Paluka already said he would be willing to do it. Between him, andyfox and j.a. sucker (are there others still in the running?) who would be pick as the second hs mod (I don't think hs needs more than two, but please tell me if I'm wrong)? Obviously in the case of the latter two we would have to wait until we here back from them, but I still think we should try to figure out what we want now so this can be done soon.
EDIT: And Jeff W isn't in the running for HS, right? Does he play those limits?

Greg J 11-17-2005 10:23 PM

I have nothing against jason_t -- I think he would make a good mod. All in all I think QTip is a better choice though.

astroglide 11-17-2005 11:06 PM

i think we should have separate threads for each forum's mod candidates. this one is turning into spaghetti.

MrWookie47 11-17-2005 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are thoughts on W. Deranged? Evan said he was the best choice for SS and no one seemed to really either agree or disagree. Maybe Evan can elaborate on this pick?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry I haven't been very active in this thread. I spend the middle part of the day at school and that seems to be when most of you post a lot.

I think he has a few qualities that are important:
-He seems like a pretty bright guy
-He writes very well imo
-He is a pretty good player imo (which is important, whether it should be or not)
-He spends a lot of time in SS

I think most of the SS forum would agree with me on these points. IMO that makes him a good mod choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds to me like a very strong endorsement. I've read some of his posts, and I agree. I'm not sure if anyone else did, so I fired a PM off to him asking if he was interested. Given the current standing reservations about jason_t and QTip, could he represent a good compromise that everyone could get behind?

As for high, I know James282 has been an exceedingly valuable poster. I haven't followed Paluka's stuff as much. I'd support the pick of either of these guys. As to who's better, I'll let someone who knows better decide.

B Dids 11-18-2005 12:06 AM

I'd just like to point out again that if we've got two people, like jason and 'Tip that we both like, there's no real harm in having more than one, or two, or 4. The more people that can help keep a forum working, and can help in here as part of a "2p2 braintrust" or something, the better.

Surfbullet 11-18-2005 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just like to point out again that if we've got two people, like jason and 'Tip that we both like, there's no real harm in having more than one, or two, or 4. The more people that can help keep a forum working, and can help in here as part of a "2p2 braintrust" or something, the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Surf