Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Cast, Worst Movie (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=325926)

08-30-2005 06:28 PM

Re: Best Cast, Worst Movie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ As was Nothing But Trouble (Chevy Chase, Demi Moore, Dan Aykroyd, John Candy).

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie is also awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it's one of my fav's, but it was a box office failure. "Ants on a log ma'am?" "Oh, ants...Oh yeah!"

It was one of those awesomely bad 80's movies that somehow was released in 1990...

Rockatansky 08-30-2005 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats almost the opposite, Tom Cruise sucks and those are pretty good movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

08-30-2005 06:31 PM

Popeye

Hamish McBagpipe 08-30-2005 06:32 PM

Black Hawk Down. Mediocre war film. Kick-ass cast other than that twerp Josh Hartnett.

Eric Bana
Ewen McGregor plus his Spud pal from Trainspotting
William Fichtner
Tom Sizemore
Orlando Bloom
Jeremy Piven (sp.)

and others....too lazy to look it up.

CD56 08-30-2005 06:55 PM

I think the answer has to be The Score.

Brando
DeNiro
Norton

likely the 3 best actors of the past 3 generations and by the end I was trying to swallow my own tongue.

-Skeme- 08-30-2005 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Royal Tennanbaums

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF.

cwsiggy 08-30-2005 07:19 PM

ditto The Score - though I thought it was mildly entertaining.

pankwindu 08-30-2005 07:32 PM

Language

[ QUOTE ]
When I perfect my Jedi mind powers, I am coming through the internet connection of the next person that improperly uses the word "irregardless" and throttle them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a language nazi myself, but I have mellowed considerably in my old age, finding it more interesting and less stressful to study the phenomenon rather than be critical of it. One resource to help with this is the fascinating site World Wide Words, with very informative articles on the evolution of English words and idioms. The entry on irregardless is here . Enjoy.

lapoker17 08-30-2005 07:38 PM

How do you use it properly?

Toro 08-30-2005 07:40 PM

Ishtar. Probably the worst movie ever made. Pretty good cast with Warren Beatty, Dustin Hoffman and Charles Grodin.

WillMagic 08-30-2005 08:22 PM

The Shipping News

Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore, Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, Pete Postlethwaite

Just when you thought it was impossible to screw up a movie with three Oscar-winners, a perennial nominee and Mr. Kobayashi...

Will

djoyce003 08-30-2005 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oceans 11.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, oceans 12 had the same cast and was FAR worse.

Sooga 08-30-2005 08:36 PM

Bruce Willis, Scarlett Johansson, Elijah Wood, Dan Aykroyd, John Ritter, Kathy Bates, Jason Alexander, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jon Lovitz, Alan Arkin, Richard Belzer, Ben Stein in.....

North. What a horrible, horrible movie.

08-30-2005 08:43 PM

The Outsiders

I was a big fan of the book in school, but the movie just killed it for me.

masse75 08-30-2005 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Outsiders

I was a big fan of the book in school, but the movie just killed it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know.

Reading about a guy named Ponyboy: cool.
Hearing C. Thomas Howell call Rob Lowe "Ponyboy": somehow uncool.

"We're doin' it FOR JOHNNY, MAN!!!! FOR JOHNNY!!!"

Alex/Mugaaz 08-30-2005 09:03 PM

The Thin Red Line.

What do I win?

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 08-30-2005 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mars attacks

[/ QUOTE ]

08-31-2005 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Thin Red Line.

What do I win?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst. Movie. Ever.

CaptSensible 08-31-2005 02:28 AM

Mission To Mars.

Tim Robbins, Don Cheadle, Gary Sinise, Armin Mueller-Stahl

CaptSensible 08-31-2005 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ishtar. Probably the worst movie ever made. Pretty good cast with Warren Beatty, Dustin Hoffman and Charles Grodin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grant you the 2nd and 3rd acts of the movie stink but the first act when they are bad songwriters in new york is absolutely hilarious

CaptSensible 08-31-2005 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sin City

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but it was boring. And the narration . . . ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also thought Sin City was awful.

jvs

[/ QUOTE ]

highly disagree

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly disagree as well. I LOVED Sin City

chunk 08-31-2005 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unbreakable.

[/ QUOTE ]
wrong

chunk 08-31-2005 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Magnolia

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread makes me sick

diebitter 08-31-2005 04:46 AM

Hudson Hawk

oreogod 08-31-2005 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unbreakable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the exact opposite of Unbreakable. I find the cast just okay, but thought the movie was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there are a lot of people here who seem to like this movie, but I found it absolutely vomit inducing. Slower than traffic out of New Orleans on Sunday, and the "shocker" ending where the villain reveals that his mission in his life is to get defeated by the hero? Yuck. Most retarded villain ever. Also, Samuel L. Jackson and Bruce Willis aren't exactly small time actors.

Anyway, I haven't seen Sin City, so I can't comment on that. I'm tempted to change my vote for Gigli, though. I'm not sure if that movie's increased suckiness in the numerator makes up for JLo's lesser reputation in the denomiator.

[/ QUOTE ]

His goal was to find a hero to his Villian. It's a pretty basic premise in comics that the Villian needs the Hero around for conflict and to give them a challenge.

gulebjorn 08-31-2005 06:19 AM

People answering Heat or Sin City to this question deserve to be strapped in a chair with their eyes spread wide open, Clockwork Orange style and be forced to watch Ocean's 12 over and over again, because that is the only correct answer.

TheCroShow 08-31-2005 06:28 AM

sky captain and the world of tomorrow

league of extraordinary gentleman-i say this because sean connery brings SUPERSTAR STATUS to any cast and counts for like 5 tom cruise actors.

the thin red line was AWESOME, i enjoyed this movie. i think you went into this expecting saving private ryan, what we got was a different perspective on war movies. i liked this one, but i think i'm the only one that will defend this flick. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

KeysrSoze 08-31-2005 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

His goal was to find a hero to his Villian. It's a pretty basic premise in comics that the Villian needs the Hero around for conflict and to give them a challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ending was such a major letdown though. Ruined the buildup. No final battle, no comic-bookesque ingenious devious trap to foil the hero when he finds out the truth? Just a "hah hah biatch, I'm the villian, TWIST!" So instead of what could have been an awesome scene, he walks out, and the subtitle says he calls the cops on him and they arrest him? I mean, really, WTF? What kind of a half-ass, anticlimatic conclusion is that?

TylerD 08-31-2005 07:50 AM

Life Aquatic - oh my god that film was boooorinng.

Wyers 08-31-2005 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Thin Red Line.

What do I win?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst. Movie. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most. Played. Out. Response. Ever.

Anyhow... The Thin Red Line is excellent. Very different approach compared to Saving Private Ryan, but an excellent war movie nonetheless. (BTW, I loved most of SPR as well).

Also to the poster who dissed The Royal Tenenbaums... well, I don't know what to say. Wes Anderson is one of the most creative writer/directors going at the moment... and this may have been his best.

Sky Captain was great to look at but I was bored to tears once the novelty wore off.

The Island of Dr. Moreau (Kilmer, Brando) - wonderfully awful.

Oceans Twelve

Much of Robert Altman's stuff (Dr. T and the Women, Cookie's Fortune - vs. his good stuff like Gosford Park, Mash and Nashville)

Although most rate it highly, Mystic River was a big miss for me. Sean Penn's acting was way, WAY over the top - cringeworthy stuff.(He was much better in 21 Grams).

Questions like this are always tricky because taste in movies is so subjective. Sin City, Unbreakable, Life Aquatic, U-Turn, Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Italian Job, Heat, The South Park Movie, J&SBSB, The Score.

I enjoyed all of these to varying degrees.

Irregardlessly.

imported_The Vibesman 08-31-2005 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hudson Hawk

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna be the only one, but I really like this movie. It's completely absurd, and a lot of fun.