Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Film Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406456)

Paluka 12-28-2005 04:56 PM

Re: Film Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The standard answer will be Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, and either Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, or Tom Hanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dustin Hoffman and especially Tom Hanks aren't worth spit compared to Jack Nicholson. And I'm a guy who likes Hoffman. Hanks isn't even on the radar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand the Hanks thing. I don't even like any movies he is in.

samjjones 12-28-2005 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The standard answer will be Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, and either Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, or Tom Hanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dustin Hoffman and especially Tom Hanks aren't worth spit compared to Jack Nicholson. And I'm a guy who likes Hoffman. Hanks isn't even on the radar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please name the great Nicholson performances in the past 10-15 years. Thanks.

jba 12-28-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

About Schmidt, As Good as it Gets, A Few Good Men, Hoffa

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg 12-28-2005 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ed Norton
Kevin Spacey
Russell Crowe

Honorable mention to William H. Macy and James Cromwell

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent answer. Though I don't know who James Cromwell is, and I don't think Russell Crowe is anywhere near as good as Ed Norton or Kevin Spacey.

I'm very tempted to boot Crowe out and put in Philip Seymour Hoffman. I've been much more impressed by Hoffman, but haven't seen him as often, though he's been busy. I bet if I saw Capote, he'd definitely be in and Crowe would be out.

I was even thinking Willem Dafoe. But I don't know if the last 15 years is really Dafoe's best stuff, and it's definitely not the very start of his career, which I think this question is all about. (That's why guys who started in the 60's and 70's like DeNiro et al. are out.) He appears so sporadically that I don't really know what time frame to put him in. But he's a phenomenal actor. Seeing Auto Focus reminded me how effortlessly powerful he is.

Blarg 12-28-2005 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't watch the chick movies Nicholson does now. Apparently he is great in them though, but I'll never find out. I don't watch the kind of movies that have Shirley MacLaine in them.

Anyway I was agreeing on choice of top actors more than time frame.

samjjones 12-28-2005 05:10 PM

Oh, OK. Because the OP specifically mentioned 10-15 years, so I was going by that. Nicholson doesn't sniff this list if that criteria is kept to. But Jack definitely makes my top 5 of all-time.

Blarg 12-28-2005 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand the Hanks thing. I don't even like any movies he is in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's likeable, and American movies will always plenty of room for a likeable everyman, like Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart, or Tom Hanks. But an easy, down to earth persona doesn't make Hanks a particularly interesting actor to me, just a character type that's good for many standard American movie roles.

I can't imagine ever watching him be particularly compelling or interesting. No DeNiro, Christopher Walken, Pacino, Hoffman, etc. momemts seem ever likely to come out of him. Nothing that's going to blow you away -- or anyway blow me away. I can't seem him deciding to play a character with dangerous quirks or much evil, or even conflict, in his heart. Nobody interesting, in other words. He's there like an amorphous blob easy enough for anybody at all to identify with, because he's so reliably flat and plain, in stories that will never really stretch his range.

Maybe someone will think that's unfair, because Hanks is so easy to like. He's just not a particularly interesting screen presence to me, and I don't expect any surprises from him for the rest of his career.

Army Eye 12-28-2005 07:45 PM

Daniel Day-Lewis
Sean Penn
Russell Crowe

bisonbison 12-28-2005 07:49 PM

If only Daniel Day-Lewis would do more movies... but yeah. He's awesome.

MyTurn2Raise 12-28-2005 07:52 PM

wow...I'm the only one with Robin Williams love

I also think Pitt is better than he gets credit for. He's in my top 10.

Blarg 12-28-2005 08:23 PM

I pretty much can't stand Robin Williams, but I thought he did well in Good Will Hunting and especially well in what I believe was his first dramatic role, a t.v. version of Saul Bellow's story Seize the Day. Very Robin Williamsy title eh? Very good though, and I'd happily watch it again. For a while, I actually had a lot of respect for Williams because of this one.

diebitter 12-28-2005 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much can't stand Robin Williams, but I thought he did well in Good Will Hunting and especially well in what I believe was his first dramatic role, a t.v. version of Saul Bellow's story Seize the Day. Very Robin Williamsy title eh? Very good though, and I'd happily watch it again. For a while, I actually had a lot of respect for Williams because of this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good in Garp too. bad in almost everything else.

Rod Jr 12-29-2005 07:12 PM

billy bob thorton

RED FACE 12-30-2005 01:03 AM

AM I NOT MERCIFULL!?!?

He is a great actor. Who cares what the Hollywood salesmen are trying to sell(Hanks, Pitt, Ford, Cruise).