Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Kick Ass No-Limit Holdem (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=65031)

William 02-04-2004 09:15 AM

Re: Kick Ass No-Limit Holdem

Jedi, I think you are the author of this so-called book. But as it shows, you have just been stealing posts from 2+2.

Can't you go to jail because of that? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Graham 02-04-2004 12:24 PM

You left out a huge chunk out of the Kick Ass excerpt though.

I'm pretty sure I'd included all of the underbetting section that was included on the freebie page - tho maybe not in the ebook (I didn't feel like paying the $30 to get the whole thing). I went back to check but the freebie page is being updated just now. Never matter; just the part quoted was what peaked my interest, being very close to Ray's post in use of words, not just the content.

G

Mason Malmuth 02-04-2004 02:10 PM

Hi Graham:

Thanks for pointing this out. We see this stuff on the Internet and in other books all the time.

Best wishes,
Mason

AliasMrJones 02-04-2004 05:31 PM

Someone points out that the excerpt is lifted almost verbatim from a post by Ray Zee and all you can say is, "there is more than that on the sample page"????? They hardly even changed any of the words to cover up the fact that they stole that entire passage.

I really think you must have some financial or other stake in this product because my reaction was very different. I don't see how anyone could buy this product knowing they stole the material from elsewhere, changed barely a word or two and then put it up for sale as their own work.

xxx 02-04-2004 08:06 PM

e-book not available right now 7:06pm est (NM)

TimTimSalabim 02-04-2004 08:32 PM

I'll play Devil's advocate here. First, there's much more than just a "word or two" difference between the two passages. And I don't think underbetting the pot is a revolutionary enough concept to accuse someone of "stealing" it. Even though the description of it and reasons for it are very similar to the other posting, so what? If I published a poker book where I advocated check-raising, and then gave a number of reasons for it, I'm sure you could find other published works that advocated check-raising, and for very similar reasons. Does that mean I stole someone else's work?

JohnShaft 02-04-2004 08:41 PM

Well for all of you guys that think that $30 is too much for a PDF file, I have a feeling you may be in luck if you check back on the KANLH site tomorrow.

I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of this enigmatic comment. Help me out here Nottom.

Having just started flirting with No Limit I was hoping he'd be giving it away. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Mason Malmuth 02-04-2004 08:41 PM

Hi Tim:

What I tell people in these spots is to reference the original work where the ideas came from. I haven't read what's on this site, but I'll assume that what he did is technically legal since you can't copyright an idea. However, if the excerpt is clearly from something that Ray Zee posted here, the site author would probably discover that his product will be even better received by proper referencing.

Best wishes,
Mason

TimTimSalabim 02-04-2004 08:56 PM

Okay, I'm going to stop playing Devil's advocate, because just now when I went back and re-read the two passages carefully, now I see what you guys are saying (I'm a little slow sometimes). Even though more than just a word or two is changed, the order of the ideas presented and thinking process and even sentence structure is strikingly similar. Too similar to be just coincidence. I stand corrected.

ZeeJustin 02-04-2004 10:41 PM

If anyone wants this for free, let me know (disclaimer: I merely want you to let me know so I can TALK with you about umm, basketball [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). I'd hate to see this POS plaigerizing scum bag making more money.