Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   ($2000) L1, AK TPTK facing minraise (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398519)

Munkster 12-15-2005 09:42 PM

Re: ($2000) L1, AK TPTK facing minraise

[ QUOTE ]

This particular situation is very exploitable and I do it quite often. I believe it is a high varience, but +EV, move.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is one of the key points I was curious about. However, can we really expect a solid/tag opponent to fold AK/AQ on a Ahigh flop?

[ QUOTE ]

OOP against a weak-tight pre-flop raiser early levels.

What is his range?

[/ QUOTE ]
My guess would be JJ-AA, AK, AQs. Possibly add in TT, AQ, AJs.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop comes specifically A-rag-rag or K-rag-rag with no flush draw.

I check. Villian bets 1/2-3/4 pot.

Which hands in his range does he bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would expect a c-bet 95% of the time, esp HU

[ QUOTE ]

What if any does he check?

[/ QUOTE ]
Warning bells: he has a monster, unless he is really really weak/tight.

[ QUOTE ]

I raise somewhere between min-raise and pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be tempted to raise also, except much more likely in an A high flop rather than a K high flop.

[ QUOTE ]

What percentage of his range does he fold?

I'm willing to make this move because I think the ~1300 stack gives me more flexibility to pickup small pots early and helps me more than a ~700 stack early hurts me.

Thoughts??

[/ QUOTE ]

bigt439 12-15-2005 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against unknowns I never do something some percent of the time and something else some other percent. I do what I think is optimal given my read and my image. If I decided a fold is best here, I would fold and then take that into account in the future, possibly setting up a trap later. In a STT you are just too likely to never have a similar situation come up again to intentionally do something you think is second best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone make sure you read this. This metagame [censored] is getting out of hand.

ZeroPointMachine 12-15-2005 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This particular situation is very exploitable and I do it quite often. I believe it is a high varience, but +EV, move.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is one of the key points I was curious about. However, can we really expect a solid/tag opponent to fold AK/AQ on a Ahigh flop?

[ QUOTE ]

OOP against a weak-tight pre-flop raiser early levels.

What is his range?

[/ QUOTE ]
My guess would be JJ-AA, AK, AQs. Possibly add in TT, AQ, AJs.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop comes specifically A-rag-rag or K-rag-rag with no flush draw.

I check. Villian bets 1/2-3/4 pot.

Which hands in his range does he bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would expect a c-bet 95% of the time, esp HU

[ QUOTE ]

What if any does he check?

[/ QUOTE ]
Warning bells: he has a monster, unless he is really really weak/tight.
[ QUOTE ]

I raise somewhere between min-raise and pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be tempted to raise also, except much more likely in an A high flop rather than a K high flop.

[ QUOTE ]

What percentage of his range does he fold?

I'm willing to make this move because I think the ~1300 stack gives me more flexibility to pickup small pots early and helps me more than a ~700 stack early hurts me.

Thoughts??

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key. He only checks monsters. This would include top set, and many times TPTK(or AA on a K high board) because the board is so non-threatening and he might induce a bluff on the turn. Part of making this play successful is to never make that bluff.

His pre-flop range is so narrow that the percentage of hands he checks is much higher than the 5% you allowed. But that means the percentage of hands he can call your raise with just went down.