Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Flushes are easy 20/40 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384976)

BeerMoney 11-27-2005 12:25 AM

Re: Flushes are easy 20/40

Blumpkin, do you fold a four-flush in that spot?

grb137 11-27-2005 02:21 AM

If I were seat 1 and had Aces up, I would make that same bet on 6th. I think many "decent" players would.

If I were seat 1, and I had a flush, I would make that same bet on 6th even without having a King because I would suspect that Ace that raised on 3rd (hero) probably raised with a pair of aces, which means that my flush is in the lead. I think many "decent" players would think this way.

If I were seat 1, and I had two small pair and a 4 flush, I would make that same bet, because I might very well be in the lead with 2 pair, and might very well improve to a winning flush. I think many "decent" players would think this way.

Consequently, I think a raise is the correct play. The only way you're losing is if he has that King or if he's rolled. In either case, you just have to pay off a nice hand. Far more often, I would think, it is *you* who will be getting paid off.

grb137 11-27-2005 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One question that is important to think about is the following: if you were Seat 1 and started with a 3-flush, would you call Hero's bet on fifth street without the king of hearts?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, especially if I've got a pair to go with my 4-flush. Hero could easily have only 1 pair of aces

blumpkin22 11-27-2005 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Blumpkin, do you fold a four-flush in that spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a tough decision. As it turns out, I was not Hero in the hand, but it was a solid player and Seat 1 knew Hero to be a solid player. To be honest, I probably would not fold in this spot because I would convince myself that the pot is getting fairly large and Hero could have split aces. But I'd be very reluctant because if Hero has a flush, I am nearly dead and will lose many bets, and even if Hero had split aces he could have a 4-flush on fifth street and hit on sixth or seventh. For example, what happens if I call on fifth, and then on sixth I hit and he picks up a fourth spade on board? I'm probably going to check and call sixth there. And in that situation the river might be checked through if I have the best hand. Essentially, it's an issue of reverse implied odds. To sum it up, I might actually make the call, but I wouldn't like it very much, and I certainly think folding may be the best play.

I should remark, however, that against mediocre or bad players, as Seat 1 with a flush draw fifth is a trivial call, and as Hero sixth street is a trivial raise.